What games are you currently playing?

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 am

Here are the games I enjoy playing:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Bemani shit
Rocksmith

Here are the games I enjoy watching:

Starcraft 2
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Looks like I'm gonna have to pick up The Last Of Us soon... it's getting rave reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ic-reviews

Sounds similar to Bioshock Infinite in that it's a beautifully told, dark story... gonna be a heated GOTY competition this year.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I dunno. I watched two reviews today and both of them called out glitchy AI and lousy controls. Like you'll have to be completely silent and out of sight, but your AI dude will run around talking and nobody cares.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm

I usually don't care that much about dumb AI. I play games more for the story and immersion these days I think.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Riot wrote:I usually don't care that much about dumb AI. I play games more for the story and immersion these days I think.
But that's what breaks the immersion.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:15 pm

I guess lately I care less about the gunfights and action scenes and more about progressing the story and taking in the atmosphere. I found myself wanting to get through the gun showdowns and wanting to see what happens in the story. *shrug*

Man Bioshock Infinite is a great game.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I'll take solid gameplay and a crappy story over crappy gameplay and a solid story every time. It sounds like a good implementation of another mediocre 3rd person shooter. It's tough for me to want to invest 17 hours on anything less than really good.

http://www.polygon.com/game/the-last-of-us/3040

http://www.gamespot.com/the-last-of-us/ ... w-6409268/

But hey, you have 3 months without shit to do. Have at.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I'll take solid gameplay and a crappy story over crappy gameplay and a solid story every time. It sounds like a good implementation of another mediocre 3rd person shooter.

http://www.polygon.com/game/the-last-of-us/3040
Meh, ONE "bad" review out of 55+ nearly perfect ones from a website I've never heard of is convincing enough for me. I'll at least give it a shot. I really doubt the gameplay mechanics are that bad, considering how solid Uncharted 2 was. That website probably just wants traffic.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm

I still maintain Lost Odyssey had one of the best stories and music in an RPG this gen. If you find yourself with 8 hours to spare you should watch the videos that play through the story of the game (no exploring/battles and stuff). It was a really good game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqythdW6JAY part 1

One of the best parts was the really nicely written stories about Kaim (the immortal hero of the story): http://kotaku.com/the-remarkable-short- ... -611615901

Best RPG this gen IMO still.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 am

I am playing Grand Theft Auto V

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 am

Just bought Rocksmith 2014 and I'll give it a spin when I get home from work.

I did not know that you can remotely install shit with Steam. I logged into the Steam webpage, bought the game, and it gave me the option to install the mofo onto my home computer! What will they think of next?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 am

No one cares but Rocksmith 2014 is an incredible improvement over the last game!

If you read any review of the original Rocksmith you will inevitably read something about the UI being poor. Poor does not do it justice - I had never seen an interface as awful as the original Rocksmith especially in 2012 where shit like a user interfaces are carefully designed. Thankfully, almost all of that shit has been cleared up in 2014!

There's no more "career" mode or whatever it was called. Songs are now played in what is now essentially a suped-up riff repeater mode and holy shit is it suped-up. You can now customize how much of a song you want to practice so you're no longer restricted to a certain section (Intro, Hook 1, Chorus, Outro, etc.) of a song like in the original - you can't practice individual measures but it's close enough, you're better off practicing licks instead of measures anyway! You can also control how strict the error tolerance of the riff repeater is before it says you've "cleared" the section you're practicing. You can set it so that you have to play the section perfectly (which I prefer) or you can miss a few notes. You can also set it so that the difficulty / speed do not increment after clearing a riff so that you can practice the rudiments of a phrase ad infinitum before adding fancy shit.

The gameplay is more or less the exact same (there's not much you can do to innovate playing a guitar) but they did improve slides and bends to show up what exactly the song and game are looking for. In the original, the game would tell you to do a bend but it wouldn't say how much (half vs full) bend to apply or if you need to do a vibrato bend where you bend back and forth rapidly. Slides were also a mystery in the original - the game would tell you which notes to slide to but it wouldn't tell you how fast to slide which can make a slide during a whole note pretty much impossible. Do I gradually slide or do I slide right as the sustain of the note is ending? Thankfully these are fixed in 2014 and the game is more explicit about what it wants you to do.

The song selection isn't bad (haven't been through all the songs) but from what I can tell you have to pay money to "import" tracks from the original Rocksmith even if you own the game. I mean, yeah, it's worth adding them in to 2014 since the UI is much improved but God damn it Ubisoft we already paid for the original! I'm waiting for the day where the community will hack the game and allow you to put in custom songs and not make it a huge pain in the ass to do so. Smithyanvil.com or whatever hacked the original but God damn was it a pain in the ass to add any sort of song. One of these days I'll be able to play Ween songs in a video game.... One day....

Anyway, no one cares and this is a lot of words. Buy this game for PC so you don't have to fiddle with audio/visual lag like on the consoles.

BTW say what you will about Oasis this song is pretty fun to play on guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8OipmKFDeM -- being able to play that little lick at the very end (4:30 mark of the song) is cool as hell.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

I care.

I have the original Rocksmith for Xbox. I think I only put a couple hours into it early last year and then got distracted by other things. But I did enjoy it. You've inspired/reminded me to get it out and give it some more play time. Maybe I'll give 2014 a look, too.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm

I like 2014 and if you can make audio/video in sync without lag on the Xbox then by all means go for it! It feels a lot more like teaching software with game elements as opposed to a game with teaching software elements. Let's play it together and rock out to The Black Keys!