What games are you currently playing?

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by Riot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Hm, wonder if this is worth getting now:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-DJ-Hero- ... _sim_vg_10

40 bucks for DJ Hero and the turn table new. I still feel like it's one of those games I'd play through once and be done with... (I also just read that Toys R Us might be selling the bundle for 20 on sale, but I don't really know for sure)

Meh no new games sound really enticing since I feel like I'm going to only be playing Street Fighter and FFXIV when it comes out in a few weeks. But I feel like I have to burn this 120 amazon credit I have! Maybe I'll buy 4000 MS points and get some good little indie games or arcade games or something. Anything super good lately? The game Monday Night Combat looks pretty fun actually... a mix of TF2, tower defense, and Smash TV it looks like...

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Castle Crashers, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, and Tetris Party Deluxe.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 am

Riot wrote:Hm, wonder if this is worth getting now:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-DJ-Hero- ... _sim_vg_10

40 bucks for DJ Hero and the turn table new. I still feel like it's one of those games I'd play through once and be done with... (I also just read that Toys R Us might be selling the bundle for 20 on sale, but I don't really know for sure)
The $40 price is available at retail also. I picked it up at Best Buy. I've been quite enjoying the game. I caused a bit of a stir on my Facebook declaring that I liked it better than IIDX. But you commented in that thread, so you already know my position.

I think it's certainly worth $40, at least.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:36 pm

chocobojoe wrote:Metroid: Other M!
This game was pretty good. I was surprised by the amount of story and voice-overs and whatnot.

Unlocked hard mode but there's no way I'm even gonna try.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:21 am

Metroid: Other M is quite possibly the BEST looking Wii game by leaps and bounds and even looks better than some of 360/PS3 games which is astonishing. At the same time however, the characterization of Samus was handled VERY poorly. Many of us grew up with the Samus that mainly spoke through her logs and was a strong, professional. The Samus that was shown in Other M is one that was too much angst for it's own good and completely went against many of the character trademarks that were established before. (Offnote: In the case of the character being voiced, I do not see a problem with that as she was first voiced in Smash Brothers Brawl and it actually worked cause what she said matched her professional personality perfectly.) The gameplay does have a few flaws, but nothing too serious so it isn't too bad. Overall, if anything it would be an 7 out of 10 as it's pretty good and worth at least checking out.

DJ Hero is a game that I honestly thought that I would never play, but recently I was able to play on a good setup for the first time. (Store Setups usually aren't a good judge of the controllers.) I have mentioned before that comparing this to IIDX is like comparing apples to oranges as both games handle VERY differently. The interaction with the tracks is one of the real draws like Ho says and that really is appealing in this game. Also, having DJ Shadow and Daft Punk help with this game really helps give it some superb tracks. (I will say that there are some tracks I don't see myself ever playing, but it helps give the game a good range at the same time.) One of the major issues I had was that it felt like there were more mechanics in this game than were necessary, but then again this is probably normal for newer players and over time it would probably feel more natural. The one thing though that I have seen that is justifiable is how people can get burned out on the game rather quick if they play it for an extended duration which is an unfortunate, but normal drawback for a game such as this. Overall, this will possibly shock some people, but I am considering purchasing the game now that it is at an affordable price.

For people who think the above is tl;dr: (Wouldn't blame ya)
Metroid: Other M is worth checking out, but it does have it flaws.
DJ Hero is (GASP) actually not a bad game and is worth getting at the $40 pricetag.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 am

Other M doesn't really fit into the Metroid story as well as it should have since they decided to go a bit of a different direction with it and add a lot more character development. I thought the "new" Samus was a lot more interesting of a character than in the previous games. Her angst/unprofessional attitude toward the Galactic Federation kind of explains why she goes rogue to become a solo bounty hunter in my opinion.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Playing Dark Souls. Pretty good game! Very challenging but very rewarding and addicting when you actually make progress. I played Demon's Souls and made my way through it slowly, and this game so far feels a tad bit easier, but still very tough. I recommend it. Maybe rent or borrow first if you never played Demon's Souls and go in with a lot of patience and caution =)

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 pm

I played through Demon's Souls a couple of times and never really found it all that challenging. Is the game really easier? DS was still one of my favorite games, though.
I really want to play it, but my PS3 is currently on CFW and I can't play it atm. I am lacking Catherine and Disgaea 4 as well. :(
I'm waiting for an easy way to dual boot CFW and OFW so I can play games past 3.56 firmware and play online, but I keep seeing broken promises of that instead.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 am

Demon's Souls was just hard at the beginning when I didn't know the tricks and hadn't learned to be really defensive. I'm always overly offensive in all games. After I got a few levels under my belt and some okay gear I got through the middle of the game just fine. Never did beat the final boss though... Only tried him a couple times though.

Dark Souls feels easier, but it is probably because I know the formula now. Many say it's tougher than the original and it is certainly still very hard. I'm only halfway through too.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 pm

iirc the final boss was one of the easiest. Maybe you were fighting the hidden boss. The only part of the game that gave me real trouble was the Dragons in world 1. I think the Flamelurker killed me a few times and the Maneater knocked me off the stage once too.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:52 am

Beat Dark Souls, got halfway through on NG+ and it was really easy since I had a ton of high level equipment. I just traded it with some other stuff, not because I couldn't get any further, but because I thought it was too easy and not much of a challenge anymore and I wanted some other games while it was still valuable.

Went to Best Buy to trade in games for the first time there, and they offered a lot of bonus money for preordering big titles. Here's what I traded with the original > bonus value:

PSP: FFIV: The Complete Collection - $10 > $15
Mortal Kombat - $15 > $22.50
Gears of War 2 - $3 > $4.50
CoD:MW2 - $7 > $10.50
Dark Souls - $22 > $33
Elder Scrolls IV - $9 > $13.50
MvC3 - $6 > $9

All in all, I would have gotten $72, but got an extra $36 for a total of $108 for 7 old games left on the shelf, including some that I bought used already and basically got back what I paid for them. Bought MW3 and Skyrim with the money.

By the way, bought Nier and it's really really fun and unconventional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6OXbqTbtHs It has elements of action RPG, top-down platformer/dungeon crawler, and schmup with all the magic shooting and camera angles. The voice acting is really good and the story is interesting.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Currently playing SM, Minecraft, TF2, and occasionally CoD4 (although I suck at it, I can die 40 times without getting a single kill because of those damn planes). I started playing Darksiders before I upgraded my PC but it was laggy, but I might start playing it again. I plan on getting BF3 and Skyrim soon.

Edit: Oh, and DDRII (inb4goplayITG)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Riot wrote:Beat Dark Souls, got halfway through on NG+ and it was really easy since I had a ton of high level equipment. I just traded it with some other stuff, not because I couldn't get any further, but because I thought it was too easy and not much of a challenge anymore and I wanted some other games while it was still valuable.

Went to Best Buy to trade in games for the first time there, and they offered a lot of bonus money for preordering big titles. Here's what I traded with the original > bonus value:

PSP: FFIV: The Complete Collection - $10 > $15
Mortal Kombat - $15 > $22.50
Gears of War 2 - $3 > $4.50
CoD:MW2 - $7 > $10.50
Dark Souls - $22 > $33
Elder Scrolls IV - $9 > $13.50
MvC3 - $6 > $9

All in all, I would have gotten $72, but got an extra $36 for a total of $108 for 7 old games left on the shelf, including some that I bought used already and basically got back what I paid for them. Bought MW3 and Skyrim with the money.

By the way, bought Nier and it's really really fun and unconventional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6OXbqTbtHs It has elements of action RPG, top-down platformer/dungeon crawler, and schmup with all the magic shooting and camera angles. The voice acting is really good and the story is interesting.
I want to try Nier. Looks cool.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Playing Darksiders now.

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Replayed VVVVVV today. Fun little game.