STARCRAFT

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Re: STARCRAFT

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Merk wrote:Achievements are literally the most retarded thing ever but trying to unlock the "Win a 7v1 Insane AI FFA" sounded like a fun challenge! I completed this yesterday and unlocked the Orlan portrait, hooray!

Here's how you win:

+ Play on the map Abyss
+ Pick Terran as your race (I honestly don't think any of the other races could work)
+ Set all the AI races to Zerg
+ Crank out SCVs, a refinery, and an engineering bay as soon as possible.
+ Build a command center at your choke as soon as possible
+ Turn your CC into a planetary fortress
+ The choke is a little wide, so you'll need two CCs. Turn the other one into a PF as well
+ Put 6 SCVs nearby with auto-repair turned on.
+ Tech to battlecruisers. Nothing can get in your base at this point.

You will need to take your natural expansion at some point, to do this without getting destroyed:

+ Build three command centers in your base (do not leave the confines of your little base)
+ Produce some SCVs, load them up in the CCs. Lift them off and leave your base.
+ Block the really wide choke of your expansion with the CCs. Unload the SCVs beforehand.
+ When you land the CCs immediately turn them into PFs. Set the SCVs to auto-repair
+ You will be attacked while the CCs are upgraded. Make sure the SCVs are repairing them. Bring some battlecruisers to help defend.
+ Once you have blocked your expansions choke, you can easily build two dozens battlecruisers and steamroll all the zerg armies. You win! Conrgrats!

Good times.

I tried this and I think I royally fucked up the placement or you just got lucky. Spawned at top left, there were two roach sized holes in the wall-in when I used the PF block strat. Needless to say my SCVS got roasted.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I think I still have my replay. When I get home I'll try to find it and post it for you. The wall-in should be zergling tight so there must have been a hole in your wall - I'm not sure if spawn location matters on this map in regards to the size of the choke.

But yeah, CCs are larger than a roach's range so the SCVs repairing the CCs should be 100% safe from everything. Oddly enough insane Zerg AI does not mass mutalisks which would be obvious counter to this strat.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 am

Some friends and I LANned last night and we did some 4v4s on ranked mode. We went like 17-13, and by the end we were playing people who were all Diamond and Platinum in leagues, and when we lost we'd lose 1 point and when we won we'd gain like 46. The whole time we were shown as Bronze League (and our rank is #1 in the ladder, with 600-something points and the #2 spot only having 300-something), so I'm wondering how/when we move up to a new division... I'm pretty sure we're going to be placed in Platinum or something. We were owning, even against the people in Diamond and stuff.

I'd just focus on pumping out tons of units and share control with another teammate who'd just run past my base with his units, scoop up mine into his big ball, and send wave after wave. We'd all 4 give him our units and rush people early and just dominate from the beginning.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 am

3v3s and 4v4s are literally all about massing tier 1 units and overwhelming the other team

GJ ROIT

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:21 am

So I've had some success against in TvZ lately with a build that isn't your standard lololol Hellion into Thor+Marine build.

Basically I beeline to a starport all the while making marines out of a naked barracks. While the starport is building I start a reactor on my factory. Swap the factory and starport when the starport is done and pump out two quick vikings. Once the vikings are out you are free to pick off their overlords for free. Zerg literally has two options to counter air - mutalisks and hydras - both of which can be countered by a big marine force with some medivac support.

I'll need to test it out more, but I didn't lose to any Zergs yesterday with this build! Yay anecdotal evidence!

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm

in 3v3 I like to proxy 3 gates outside their base

if you're zerg you can rush really hard by going late 13 gas pool speed and then banelings
groovestats
<3 blackcat

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:09 pm

The ladder system is kinda broken. The way it works is that if you don't play for a day or more they just throw points into a "bonus pool". Then the next time you win, you get double points until your bonus pool runs out. So it's really easy to get a high ladder rating. Not only that, but a win can get you 22 points (or 44 if doubled), and a loss only loses you like 4 points.

I think this makes sort of a moving ladder. Like, 3 weeks ago 600 diamond was really good. Today, it's only decent and maybe 1100 diamond is really good. In a couple months it'll probably be 3000. http://sc2ranks.com/ranks/us/diamond/1

Anyone have any good casts or replays? I've found IdrA (zerg) and Huk (protoss) are usually pretty good to watch.

http://starcraft2reps.com/
http://sc2casts.com/
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Huk also plays Terran, or at least the games I've seen him play he was Terran.

Dimaga is fun to watch, I've seen some epic macro games from him.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Some interesting shit I found -

Wins on all of Battle.net by race: http://twitpic.com/4scs04/full

Wins on just the Korean Battle.net by race: http://twitpic.com/4sdkpv/full

You can argue that the sample size in the just Korea stats is too small to have significant meaning. Regardless, it's interesting to see Korean Terran players absolutely crushing their competition while in the grand scheme of things all the races are about as balanced as they can be.