8%

Total votes: 12

Spartan_117
Standard
Standard

Cheating, and the discussion of it

Post by Spartan_117 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:53 am

I <3 standby!

I have found it easier to lag the crap out of somebody in matchmaking games when they try to use standby (which is funny, I might add) .
Our clan has started level boosting and we are at level 10 now, we should be level 20 by tommorow and level 40 by wednesday, etc....

Discuss.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:20 am

Then is this really cheating, or exploiting a flaw in the programming?

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:05 pm

its cheating because stand-by is where you have to lag your connection (push the standby button on your modem) and then it makes you stand still (on everyones screen but your own) on your screen you are playing like you normally would, so you can hide outside the enemy base, push the standby button, grab their flag and run back to your base before they know the flag is gone.

standby is cheating

on the otherhand boosting is a flaw in the programming because what people do to achive that is that they play matches against another one of their own clans and then at like 3:00 AM when NOONE is online they start up a clan war in matchmaking and they try to get paired up against the other person that did it also... then one team quits out and the remaining team gains experiance points.

so boosting isnt considered cheating because you dont actually cheat anybody. but i wouldnt want to be in a clan that boosts because then your rank doesnt mean anything it just says that you just like to stay up late at night...

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:19 pm

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but if it deals with some kind of FPS I'm sure I haven't played it.

Gatekeeper
Standard
Standard

Post by Gatekeeper » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:29 pm

I haven't heard of this 'standby' type of exploit, but it doesn't sound like cheating to me. If the game is designed in such a way as to give precedence to the client-side prediction rather than the server-side simulation, then it seems to me within the player's right to control their own connection how they please to gain an advantage.

Put shortly: a player has the right to send whatever data they want to the server. If the server is so poorly designed as to accept it as gospel, then it gets what it deserves.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Gatekeeper wrote:I haven't heard of this 'standby' type of exploit, but it doesn't sound like cheating to me. If the game is designed in such a way as to give precedence to the client-side prediction rather than the server-side simulation, then it seems to me within the player's right to control their own connection how they please to gain an advantage.

Put shortly: a player has the right to send whatever data they want to the server. If the server is so poorly designed as to accept it as gospel, then it gets what it deserves.

its made by microsoft.. what do you expect...

anyways he is talking about a type of cheat in halo2. in the xbox live code of conduct it says in there somewhere that if you do modem tricks you are violating the thing and you are cheating (i read that on the bungie forums somewhere) and you can and will get banned for it.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:24 pm

If you have to cheat or exploit, you aren't good at the game.

Hell, I got past 2000 rank on SOCOMII(couple hundred thousand users at the time) before all the rankup bitches started with their dumb games.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:13 pm

if you freeze up the game for everybody else you are just being a jerk
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Spartan_117
Standard
Standard

Post by Spartan_117 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:56 pm

Sorry if I offended anybody, but when you play with solidsnake,stk unholy and xx reiki xx. . .its kinda hard not to standby!

I standbyed in mvp baseball 2005 today! lol it was so funny.
anyways he is talking about a type of cheat in halo2. in the xbox live code of conduct it says in there somewhere that if you do modem tricks you are violating the thing and you are cheating (i read that on the bungie forums somewhere) and you can and will get banned for it.
Who cares! they'll never catch me! just leave good feedback on me and I won't (Yet, i really don't care if you leave bad feedback on me either)

:p

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:24 pm

cheating is for fucking faggots

its cheaters like you who eventually get caught, but fuck over the good players. I shoulda went to Korea to play professionally for Brood War, but noooo maphackers (WHO GOT CAUGHT AND DQ'ed INFRONT OF ME) decided it'd be cute to cheat.

you, jus suck at games in general and need to stop playing. thx for sucking it up.
SoDeepPolaris wrote:If you have to cheat or exploit, you aren't good at the game.

Hell, I got past 2000 rank on SOCOMII(couple hundred thousand users at the time) before all the rankup bitches started with their dumb games.
agreed, I was one of the top 20 players (#2 Terran) in BroodWar for a few years during 1.06/1.07 (before it got gay). CHEATERS ARE FAGGOTS.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:14 pm

I agree completely with Casey.
Spartan_117 wrote:Sorry if I offended anybody, but when you play with solidsnake,stk unholy and xx reiki xx. . .its kinda hard not to standby!
I'm assuming they are top players. Again, I'll bring about SOCOMII and even Counterstrike.

On SocomII I played in a couple games with 3-4 admirals on the other team(Admirals=top10players on SOCOMII), and I got tied for MVP of one of the games, the other game I still had a 12-4 kill/death ratio. I didn't cheat. CS, I wasn't too good but I still didn't hack when I played with Cal-IM guys and tourney players.
Maybe if you took the time to get good at halo2, you might actually be able to beat some people, legit.

I still hold to the fact that if you hack/cheat/glitch, you aren't good at the game.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:34 pm

For once, I also agree with Casey.

Because despite the profanity, he's completely
right. The only reason to cheat is because you
cant win on your own.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:38 pm

I agree that it's pretty sad if you have to cheat to win. It's people that do this that give the online gaming scene such a bad reputation. And now, all the really, genuinely good players are being given a bad name, just beacuse a bunch of bad apples decide they feel like exploiting the system.
It doesn't matter how good the people you're playing with are. Get better, that's how you beat them. Not be undermining the system like a coward. All you do is ruin the game for everyone.
If you continue to do things like that, I believe you should be banned, along with everyone else who continues to do these things.
If you want to take the game seriously, then you should play fair. The same goes with any sport. If you think you're good enough to play, then you'd better be good enough to play fair.

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:20 pm

I got to somewhere around 2000 in the world rankings on the WON rankings system with 1.5, then 1.6.... yeah, so I was around 10k after 1.6 came out, (this is out of what? 6 million though, so it's still decent lol)

Then I decided a month ago to see what the hell it was like to cheat, so I got on my clan server (private one) with a few other guys (who knew what I was doing) to see what it was like.

Hacking on CS is hard as hell at first. Seriously, I found it harder to kill people hacking then if I played normally. Aimbotting at least, Walling of course makes it easier, but I really don't need to wall, cause I know where people are anyway lol.

Speed hacking is freaking crazy, i have no idea how anyone can do it.

But before you guys go about calling hackers fags and stuff (they are if they do it for gain) when they're just hacking pirvately on a pub. Think about how freaking hard it is. Try it yourself sometime, It's hard.

Casey, in your case, that kind of cheating is bullshit. If you are cheating in any way that you gain from, then it's bull. But if you're with friends jsut screwing around, I don't see a problem with it.
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:31 am

Quite honestly, this reminds me of Diablo 2 when people would cheat and hack and create items and shit, rings that were so 'common' in a trading place because people had just copied so many of them were actually insanely hard to find, it took all the joy out of finding a rare item anymore. Diablo 2 LoD and the original began to suck once 1.07 ended.

Same thing about Brood War, i was a genuinely good melee player, probably not as good as Casey, i didn't actually play melee all that much, but i was also a map maker for the UMS games, and it pissed me off when people would change the settings so one player got twice as many units or just beefed up certain units so they'd automatically win, it was a bunch of bull.

In short, if you have to cheat to win, or level up in Halo 2 or anything like that, you suck and shouldn't play the game ever again. Oh and think you won't get caught Neil? You will. If Blizzard, a company who doesn't even charge money(except WoW) to play their online games caught THOUSANDS of players on D2 and BW daily for cheating, then i'm pretty damn sure Microsoft and Bungie, who take subscription money, can catch you pretty damn easily. It's just a matter of time. So really, take your choice, be banned from Xbox Live(or at least Halo 2 matches) taking your chances cheating, or actually get good at the game and play it like it was meant to be played.