Moderator: Moderators

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Grand Theft Auto IV

Post by danc1005 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Highly anticipated, big sales, etc.
Who got it? What do you guys think?
I got it yesterday, but I haven't found enough time to play to form a well-rounded opinion as compared to the other games (which are, in my opinion, excellent) yet.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Re: Grand Theft Auto IV

Post by letshavetea » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:52 pm

The ONLY thing that I dislike about this game is their gimmicky and poorly designed MP menu system.

You have to access all multiplayer options through your cell phone which takes up about 1/20th of your screen (AKA FREAKIN TINY). The cell phone was a great idea for normal stuff in the game (calling NPCs) but... throwing multiplayer stuff in there... is not.

Since they didn't make an actual MP menu when you quit out of a MP game it takes you back to the SP campaign... which means loading time.

I haven't had much experience with the actual gametypes online, I played a few matches right when I got it... and every match I got thrown into was filled with the most ignorant bastards you could imagine, it made Halo's playerbase look like kids graduating with PHDs

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:59 pm

letshavetea wrote: it made Halo's playerbase look like kids graduating with PHDs

O_O

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:45 pm

The game is good, but the reviews being done are scoring it unrealistically. I can see it being a 8.75 to 9.5, but definitely not a 10 and it drives me nuts that IGN and alot of other companies are giving it perfect scores like penny candy.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri May 02, 2008 8:44 am

Yea, same. The game is definitely not a 10.

Which is funny because in gamespot's interview they say "The game isn't perfect" but they still gave it a perfect score.

The graphics should have only gotten like an 8 at best... it's a pretty game... at high speeds. If you stop to actually look at the buildings the textures are all lowres and blurry.

The MP system is setup so poorly that it makes baby AIDS Jesus cry. Unless if I'm missing something and just can't figure out how to actually host a new game, rather than joining someone else's game.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:27 pm

It is a fun game, but I would definitely agree that it's not a 10. Loading screens are in-your-face last-gen wait-fests, and some multiplayer mechanics seem to be broken.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri May 02, 2008 1:38 pm

While I really do want to check out GTA4, I don't really want to go 360 or PS3 as it looks like the options on both platforms are that either I get one that's neutered, or I pay a ludricious amount of money for a laptop hard drive. (Seriously, if Microsoft tried to charge $70 for a 20 gig HD for PC it would never go over, yet that's what they are doing on the 360.) Hopefully Rockstar will make it available for the PC since it is the platform where the series started.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Sat May 03, 2008 1:34 am

They've released all the other mainstream GTAs on PC... don't see why they would change that with this one.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat May 03, 2008 5:16 am

Well, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories didn't get a PC release which was kinda unfortunate.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 am

which is why I included the word "Mainstream"

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun May 04, 2008 11:22 pm

On another note, Mothers Against Drunk Driving is trying to push for GTA4 to get reclassified as an Adults Only release as you can drink and drive in the game. Ok, while I have personal issues with those who drink and drive in real life this is straight up ludricious as it's just a videogame and I'm inclined to agree with Candy Lightner that the organizion is indeed pushing a neo-prohibitionism agenda in both virtual and irl forms.

Hell, this news is making me thirsty so I'm gonna get some Killian's Irish Red!
Memorable 2016 quotes:

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon May 05, 2008 7:28 am

Amp Divorax wrote:On another note, Mothers Against Drunk Driving is trying to push for GTA4 to get reclassified as an Adults Only release as you can drink and drive in the game.
So, all the murder/violence/sex/drug use/general mayhem is OK, but drunk driving makes it AO?? I suppose they'd also like to re-classify every movie with drunk driving in it as NC-17 as well? Silly....

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon May 05, 2008 9:58 am

When I first heard about MADD I lol'd... hard.

Until NOW I couldn't think of a single possible thing they could rally for. I mean honestly, who is FOR drunk driving?

Also, in the game... it's damn hard to drive while drunk... and you usually end up with the cops chasing you.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:21 pm

letshavetea wrote:When I first heard about MADD I lol'd... hard.

Until NOW I couldn't think of a single possible thing they could rally for. I mean honestly, who is FOR drunk driving?

Also, in the game... it's damn hard to drive while drunk... and you usually end up with the cops chasing you.
I've actually never actually managed to get in a car while shitfaced in the game...the walking's too wobbly. After you sober up a bit you can, and at that point it's not even that tough to control the vehicle.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon May 05, 2008 12:50 pm

yeah MADD should be hailing the game as being anti-alcohol since it messes you up so much and you get punished for drunk driving and public intoxication.