Standard
Standard

World of Warcraft

Post by aspen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Do you play it?

What do you play?

I've been playing since March of 2005.

Unomi
70 Night Elf Druid...7/8 Tier 1, 3/8 Tier 2, and feral gear.
Herbalism 375/375
Alchemy 348/375

Lelumi
43 Gnomer Warlock...okay gear.
Enchanting 1/375....haha, haven't done anything with that yet.
Tailoring 232/300

Unomini
32 Draenei Mage
Enchanting 10/375
Jewelcrafting 6/375

Anumi
29 Draenei Hunter (Twink)....great gear, used for PVP
Mining 119/375
Blacksmithing 148/375

I have two real low level horde, but I don't really play them. All my characters can be seen at http://www.wowarmory.com/

Wrath of the Lich King is the next expected patch. I'm looking forward to it. Now that I know it's not coming out til late next year, I'm even happier. Burning Crusade came at a good time, several years after WoW came out.

I love playing my druid and hunter the most. My most played character obviously is my druid. She's been through it all, especially pre-BC. She knows Molten Core very well, and was getting real good with Blackwing Lair. I've downed the lass boss Nefarian (pre-BC), in the game. Right now, I'm trying to get gold saved up to get my epic flight form. It requires 5000g, and I'm only at close to 1100g.

This is just a discussion thread about World of Warcraft. If you don't like the game, that's fine. However, please don't turn this thread into a debate over it's quality. Say you don't like it, or say nothing at all.

Thanks.

"Druids ftw!" 8)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:19 pm

WoW ruined MMOs, imo. Now all the new MMO games and their developers are dumbing them down so they appeal to this new, wider audience that now expects everything to be easy and cookie cutter. I miss old UO.

I'm looking forward to Warhammer now, and Aion.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Riot wrote:WoW ruined MMOs, imo. Now all the new MMO games and their developers are dumbing them down so they appeal to this new, wider audience that now expects everything to be easy and cookie cutter. I miss old UO.

I've never played UO, but my friend Ian (gatekeeper) has. He still plays it from time to time I believe. One thing I do remember, that he told me, was that any player can attack another player (same sides or not).

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:49 pm

Moved to Other Games Entirely.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:07 pm

aspen wrote:
Riot wrote:WoW ruined MMOs, imo. Now all the new MMO games and their developers are dumbing them down so they appeal to this new, wider audience that now expects everything to be easy and cookie cutter. I miss old UO.

I've never played UO, but my friend Ian (gatekeeper) has. He still plays it from time to time I believe. One thing I do remember, that he told me, was that any player can attack another player (same sides or not).
There are no sides in UO. Anybody could attack anybody anytime anywhere. When you died you dropped EVERYTHING on your body (items, money, armor, weapons, etc.). But the beauty was nothing was THAT valuable like WoW where you have to slave away in some raid for a month before you can get one sword. Crafters were actually important because there was a huge demand for equipment. PVP was thus actually exciting and dangerous and had real consequences... you couldn't just be stupid about it and run into stuff. This encouraged the playerbase to be MUCH more mature, skilled, and smart.

There are a lot of things that make UO have a special place in people's hearts and keep it alive even after 10 years of it being out. Player housing is still the best and has never been equalled, the PVP/PK system was amazing, the world actually felt alive and that you could affect it (i.e. you could go up to a tree and chop it and get wood, then use that wood to build pretty much anything... you could build arrows, furniture for your house, or a boat which you could sail freely on the ocean wherever you wanted to go). There were no levels, just like 50 skills you raised .1 at a time up to 100 (a max of 700 skill points, or usually about 7 grandmastered skills), which kept a sense of constant progression and much more flexibility with your character. All in all, just a great game that holds a warm fuzzy spot in my heart.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:33 pm

I agree, UO kicked ass. That's been one of my complaints about WoW is that it didn't adopt any UO systems like housing and such.

http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... r&n=Rojali
Rojali
Shaman
Level 70
Has his Tier1, Tier2, and Tier2.5 in the bank because they were obsolete before level 65. Check armory for gear but it's mostly end game, heroic, or Kara gear. My guild needs to start 25 mans, we have the gear and skill for it, they're just stupid like that.

I raided with him up to Twin Emps in AQ40 and started work in Naxx right before BC came out and the core of our guild bounced.

http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... ogg&n=Holl
Holl
Druid BOOMKIN
mid 20's
I'm doing my best to get this guy to 70 in my free time, between, classes, social life and CS/raiding on Rojali.

Aspen, I'm wondering why you actually still are wearing your old raid gear because there are blues and even greens while leveling in Outlands that are better than that gear (save some exceptions, Netherwind Crown with ZG enchant is still valid up to Kara). To be honest, I used very little of my raiding gear as both it and druid gear (before Tier3) are specialized for healing, and I leveled enhancement.

And why Feral Aggression over Ferocity? It doesn't look like you're a bear tank, otherwise you would've specced farther in Feral and gotten Faerie Fire (feral). And I know it's not for tanking bosses because the AP reduction would do basically nothing.

Gear setup right now makes me assume you're healing instances and feraling solo. Please tell me you have or are working on getting some feral AP gear.

Once you hit revered with Lower City (it's easy to find SLabs groups as a healer, especially a druid HoT machine), get two of http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30841
It's not unique so you can equip two, that's an extra 140 +healing.

Just check out http://wow-loot.com/druid.htm
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:40 pm

Ho wrote:Moved to Other Games Entirely.
Ah yes, good call. Thanks.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Riot wrote:
aspen wrote:

There are no sides in UO. Anybody could attack anybody anytime anywhere. When you died you dropped EVERYTHING on your body (items, money, armor, weapons, etc.). But the beauty was nothing was THAT valuable like WoW where you have to slave away in some raid for a month before you can get one sword. Crafters were actually important because there was a huge demand for equipment. PVP was thus actually exciting and dangerous and had real consequences... you couldn't just be stupid about it and run into stuff. This encouraged the playerbase to be MUCH more mature, skilled, and smart.

There are a lot of things that make UO have a special place in people's hearts and keep it alive even after 10 years of it being out. Player housing is still the best and has never been equalled, the PVP/PK system was amazing, the world actually felt alive and that you could affect it (i.e. you could go up to a tree and chop it and get wood, then use that wood to build pretty much anything... you could build arrows, furniture for your house, or a boat which you could sail freely on the ocean wherever you wanted to go). There were no levels, just like 50 skills you raised .1 at a time up to 100 (a max of 700 skill points, or usually about 7 grandmastered skills), which kept a sense of constant progression and much more flexibility with your character. All in all, just a great game that holds a warm fuzzy spot in my heart.
So kind of like Runescape, but much better in the graphics?

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:49 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:I agree, UO kicked ass. That's been one of my complaints about WoW is that it didn't adopt any UO systems like housing and such.

http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... r&n=Rojali
Rojali
Shaman
Level 70
Has his Tier1, Tier2, and Tier2.5 in the bank because they were obsolete before level 65. Check armory for gear but it's mostly end game, heroic, or Kara gear. My guild needs to start 25 mans, we have the gear and skill for it, they're just stupid like that.

I raided with him up to Twin Emps in AQ40 and started work in Naxx right before BC came out and the core of our guild bounced.

http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... ogg&n=Holl
Holl
Druid BOOMKIN
mid 20's
I'm doing my best to get this guy to 70 in my free time, between, classes, social life and CS/raiding on Rojali.

Aspen, I'm wondering why you actually still are wearing your old raid gear because there are blues and even greens while leveling in Outlands that are better than that gear (save some exceptions, Netherwind Crown with ZG enchant is still valid up to Kara). To be honest, I used very little of my raiding gear as both it and druid gear (before Tier3) are specialized for healing, and I leveled enhancement.

And why Feral Aggression over Ferocity? It doesn't look like you're a bear tank, otherwise you would've specced farther in Feral and gotten Faerie Fire (feral). And I know it's not for tanking bosses because the AP reduction would do basically nothing.

Gear setup right now makes me assume you're healing instances and feraling solo. Please tell me you have or are working on getting some feral AP gear.

Once you hit revered with Lower City (it's easy to find SLabs groups as a healer, especially a druid HoT machine), get two of http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30841
It's not unique so you can equip two, that's an extra 140 +healing.

Just check out http://wow-loot.com/druid.htm
The reason I'm using old T2/T1 gear is because leveling I got mostly feral gear. I'm working to up my healing gear. Though it's old, it's still good healing gear. I've solo healed groups in Black Morass, Slabs and many others. The reason I am feral aggresion is for times where I take aggro off the tank because of healing. I snap into bear, til aggro is taken off. Even with a good tank, I still take aggro off them. I might re spec and take some points from Feral and put them into Subtelty, to help with aggro.
At this moment in time, I'm kind of working to get feral AP gear, but working mostly on healing gear. I like to be useful in instances, but also able to hold my own on my own.
I don't have a lot of time I can devote right now, so advancements are coming slow...

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:31 pm

^^^ I dunno, never played Runescape. But I somewhat doubt they're that similar... UO in my opinion has more depth than any MMO out there right now.

I played the hell out of WoW when it came out, literally logging about 3 months of playtime in the 7 months I had the game. I don't really know how I did it with balancing job, school, band, friends, and girlfriend, but somehow I did. Anyways, got burnt out because you really could NOT get any farther in the game unless you were doing Molten Core (which was the very endgame, nothing else... no honor system, no battlegrounds, no other raids, nothin') and the only way you could do Molten Core was if you had the best guild on the server. Well it just so happens that the best guild on my server was the Goon Squad (the Somethingawful.com forum members) and unless you paid their fee to get on the forums and stuff you couldn't join. So most everybody was pretty much screwed.

I was pretty damn successful without that though. I was big into PVP and was really one of the first warriors to start speccing out for Crit. I was the first one on the server (and probably a lot of the servers) to ever get an Arcanite Reaper, which was the end-all be-all best weapon. That + Mortal Strike (both have been nerfed from their original form) was really good. I started wearing gear that was all Crit and AGI, even sacrificing plate for chain gear. I pretty much raped everyone at PVP and people didn't know how.

I sold my account for about 500 dollars around then, then decided to steal back my account a year later cuz the dude I sold it to didn't play anymore (plus, for some reason, didn't even play my character but started his own.... why buy the account? wtf) I played for like a month, and it seemed by then most all the Warriors kind of started to follow what I planned out in the early phase of the game, and everyone was crit-oriented. Back in MY day (lawl I'm a geezer) everyone was obsessed with STA and HP.

But yeah, ended up re-selling my account for another 400 (including my special edition collectors box and all that jazz). So I made some money off the game. That's my story.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Yeah, I hear you on the leveling gear. I was stuck with mostly enhancement gear when I hit 70 so I just did my best dpsing and off healing until I built up a decent healing set. Started Kara with about 900 +heal and 80+ mp5 but it took only two runs to get 4 pieces from there (1 shaman in a 10man = a lot of gear typically). In short, it's really easy to gear up once you get in to 10mans.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.