Lord of the rings online: Shadows of angmar

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Lord of the rings online: Shadows of angmar

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Look forward to it! I can't say much about what is in game but it is very fun. It will be out in may methinks? but if you preorder now, you can join open beta in april. Or if I manage to win a beta journal contest one of these days I can get some invites out here ;)
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:19 pm

I've heard horrid horrid things =/

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Riot wrote:I've heard horrid horrid things =/
#1 that you've heard is no PvP, it does not have player versus player at this point. There is what is called PvM, when you reach a certain level you get to control and level as a monster that can attack players. Currently I'm about to be at the level to do that so I will see how that goes :D.

There are alot of very innovative things with this now, not to mention it's simply stunning graphics (for a MMO it's amazing.) The crafting system is very simple and logical (Plus farming is really fun :D that was my first maxed craft.) Battle system is very simple to understand it's similar to WoW.

The playing area is not as large right now, but they will be expanding through mordor in the live game.

People should not be putting down a game that actually runs very well in beta 1 (well it just went to beta 2 over the weekend but I'm assuming you heard this back in beta 1) in beta 1 only the shire was open :D so people are being too brash to make judgements (companies get beta testers to troubleshoot the game, not to make reviews.)

All in all Beta 1 was very impressive, and I'm currently installing/reading release notes for beta 2... it should be good

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:25 pm

I've just heard there are not many things to do, and that is a very narrow and oppressive game. From what I heard, you can only play the "good" characters, no orcs or anything which kind of sucks. And no "real" PVP is a big deal with players these days, as PVP games are becoming the most popular available.

I really think what they're promising for pre-orders is ridiculous. Character rollovers from Beta is an absolutely horrible move, everyone better hope that there are no bugs, dupes, ANYTHING in beta, as from my experience in MMO betas there are always a lot of people that exploit the system and get unfair advantages. The economy will be horrible because players have a huge excess of cash and a lot of high end equipment that will make new players have a horrible time when they start, as usually you're thrown in at the start with players who have a general idea of what they're doing from beta, which allows newbies to get questions answered, grouping figured out, guilds established, etc. etc.... but now, the high end players will already have their pre-made groups and will not be interacting with the newbs, which will form two giant groups of players, which has the potential to be bad for the community. Plus, if the game does not have a absolute CRAPLOAD of content at highend, which doesn't seem the be the immediate case what without PVP and other features, high end players will hit the cap quickly and become bored. That sounds like why they're offering this "lifetime subscription" deal for $200, because, like most MMO developers, they're running out of money and need buffers (a lot MMOs have it like this, not singling it out, but it is shady). I just know Turbine (who is making the game) has a nasty habit of snatching money and running, if AC2 was any indication, releasing an expansion and shutting down all the servers a month later.... Plus DDO which wasn't exactly...good. Mainly I just really think beta rollovers is an absolutely game-ruining idea that will come back to haunt them.

The game looks pretty (although hauntingly similar to WoW), but from what I've heard will not bring much new to the table outside of looking good and playing (hopefully) pretty solid. Is the level 20 cap really enough? I hated that about Guild Wars, how you capped so quickly and then it was all dependent on gear and stuff. Lemme know, I'm generally interested in the game as I am with all MMOs, but all I know is judging off what I've read and heard from beta testers and the company's history.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Didn't read any of the posts in this thread because all the posts thus far have been paragraph upon paragraph regarding SERIOUS discussion about MMORPGs.

Besides, everyone knows that Shards of Dalaya is the best MMORPG in the already saturated-to-hell market that is MMORPGs.

But since I'm here, if I were to pay to play for an MMO, which one would YOU recommend?

Everquest
Everquest 2
Star Wars: Galaxies
Anarchy Online
Eve Online
Ragnarok Online
Vanguard
Dark Age Of Camelot
The Matrix Online
Lord of The Rings Online
Dungeon and Dragons Online
Shadowbane
World Of Warcraft
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy XI
Guild Wars (Free to play but you need to fucking buy the game first)
Asheron's Call
Asheron's Call 2
City of Heroes
City of Villians
Lineage
Lineage II
Maplestory
World War II Online
Planetside

GUYS THERE ARE SO MANY WAT ONE DO I PLAY? I NEED PROS AND CONS OF EACH BEFORE I CAN MAKE DESCISION>

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:50 pm

Merk wrote:Didn't read any of the posts in this thread because all the posts thus far have been paragraph upon paragraph regarding SERIOUS discussion about MMORPGs.

Besides, everyone knows that Shards of Dalaya is the best MMORPG in the already saturated-to-hell market that is MMORPGs.

But since I'm here, if I were to pay to play for an MMO, which one would YOU recommend?

Everquest
Everquest 2
Anarchy Online
Eve Online
Ragnarok Online
Vanguard
Dark Age Of Camelot
The Matrix Online
Lord of The Rings Online
Shadowbane
World Of Warcraft
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy XI
Asheron's Call
Asheron's Call 2
City of Heroes
City of Villians
Lineage
Lineage II
Maplestory
World War II Online
Planetside

GUYS THERE ARE SO MANY WAT ONE DO I PLAY? I NEED PROS AND CONS OF EACH BEFORE I CAN MAKE DESCISION>
just play Pokeman.
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:54 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_Diamond

DAMMIT IT ISN'T OUT YET I NEED AN MMO TO PLAY BEFORE IT COMES OUT ON APRIL 22ND WHAT DO I PRAY? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :cry:

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 pm

http://knightonline.e-games.com.my/

Knight Online is free to play and pretty much the same thing as all the other 3D MMORPG's you'll encounter.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Sadly I could give you feedback on all those MMOs =(

And the only discussion about MMORPGs IS serious discussion. Because MMOs are FUCKING serious business!!!

It's my 8 year MMO anniversary in March! Buy me things!

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:56 am

Riot wrote:I've just heard there are not many things to do, and that is a very narrow and oppressive game. From what I heard, you can only play the "good" characters, no orcs or anything which kind of sucks. And no "real" PVP is a big deal with players these days, as PVP games are becoming the most popular available.
I agree full heartedly PVP is very important, but when you create a monster you actually create a monster character, complete with monster missions, Really you are just creating another character to start levelling, they just don't want a bunch of people just starting the game to be a monster I believe.

Riot wrote:I really think what they're promising for pre-orders is ridiculous. Character rollovers from Beta is an absolutely horrible move, everyone better hope that there are no bugs, dupes, ANYTHING in beta, as from my experience in MMO betas there are always a lot of people that exploit the system and get unfair advantages.
Ah one big difference there, that's only open beta characters. All closed beta characters will be deleted (unfortunately :( I will miss my hobbit farmer when that happens.) Open beta is actually more of a full force stress test, and on this project we've already had several stress test events (where all the fanboys get to play for a day just to see how the servers handle it) (according to the rules I am not allowed to say exactly how many stress tests we've had :roll:) But those days we've met alot of disgruntled players, which is where alot of negative feedback has come from I think. On the first day of one of the stress tests, one of the beginning quest people was bugged (this was back in beta 1, just a little into beta 1) and people were saying it's a crappy game and they weren't going to buy it. But anyways, the open beta will be mostly to structure the economy and to let it equilibrate so that when everyone joins in there's already a set economy rather than just hopping in and being clueless.

There is a very large system used to sell items, although I can't say too much about it, I can just say that it's like a cross between vendor shops and FFXI's auction house. It is very interesting how they have it working right now, and I think that having players in it before will help it balance it out alot more.
Riot wrote:The economy will be horrible because players have a huge excess of cash and a lot of high end equipment that will make new players have a horrible time when they start, as usually you're thrown in at the start with players who have a general idea of what they're doing from beta, which allows newbies to get questions answered, grouping figured out, guilds established, etc. etc.... but now, the high end players will already have their pre-made groups and will not be interacting with the newbs, which will form two giant groups of players, which has the potential to be bad for the community.
I guess I kinda should've kept this quoted with the last block a bit. But anyways, most equipment starting out should be purchased at merchants. Making money is not a difficult thing, that is the beauty of it. In one day I managed to make a decent sum of money (for the current economy) solely by farming pipe-weed and strawberries (it's the get rich quick scheme in middle earth). And when it comes to getting questions answered, after the various stress tests, I'm sure it will not be a problem, because there were about a million people constantly saying: "is so and so bugged" or "Why won't he talk to me? I'm clicking on him" And everyone seemed to always be willing to give help or even directions to all the stress testers trying to find hobbiton :roll: .
riot wrote:Plus, if the game does not have a absolute CRAPLOAD of content at highend, which doesn't seem the be the immediate case what without PVP and other features, high end players will hit the cap quickly and become bored. That sounds like why they're offering this "lifetime subscription" deal for $200, because, like most MMO developers, they're running out of money and need buffers (a lot MMOs have it like this, not singling it out, but it is shady). I just know Turbine (who is making the game) has a nasty habit of snatching money and running, if AC2 was any indication, releasing an expansion and shutting down all the servers a month later.... Plus DDO which wasn't exactly...good. Mainly I just really think beta rollovers is an absolutely game-ruining idea that will come back to haunt them.
Agreed completely, it needs alot of high level content, that's what they're hoping to achieve with the PvM scheme. It is very promising, but I really need to get to that first before I talk about it so much or affirm that it is really cool :D. I will say in this current release there is alot more to middle earth not accessable, and I know turbine's reputation as well as you do. My main thought is that if the game is successful, they will keep going. The whole lifetime membership is a little odd to me, I don't like that. DDO is to turbine as windows ME is to bill gates, we should try to forget these things :D. DDO looked promising true, but I think it was too in depth of an MMO and people wanted just a simple thing (like WoW) where they can feel like they know alot of stuff (even if they don't).
Riot wrote:The game looks pretty (although hauntingly similar to WoW), but from what I've heard will not bring much new to the table outside of looking good and playing (hopefully) pretty solid. Is the level 20 cap really enough? I hated that about Guild Wars, how you capped so quickly and then it was all dependent on gear and stuff. Lemme know, I'm generally interested in the game as I am with all MMOs, but all I know is judging off what I've read and heard from beta testers and the company's history.
Level cap will be raised as expansions roll out. If I had a dime for every time I've read Live-game in the beta logs I would be a rich man. They really have alot of plans on how to expand the live game. By live game, they are meaning non paid expansions essentially. And as the story advances for the higher level people, the live game will expand accordingly. It is absolutely beautiful scenery and very varied. I will say the interface reminds me alot of WoW, but the graphics are much more defined. WoW looks alot more cartoonish to me, this has a much more realistic look to it. WoW's landscapes are created procedurally instead of hand crafted like they are in LOTRO, that is the biggest difference I have noticed. I have been to most places in LOTRO now (not to rivendell yet though, I keep getting killed) and every place is unique, and has it's own feel to it. Be it the dark dreary old forest, to the top of the hill in the shire, everything has an amazing look to it. And on that note I am going to go back in and play it some more :D

I don't know if this will be the one to knock WoW out, but I do know it will at least give it a little scare... maybe...

Oh one more thing about the PvM. Another advantage, is no items lost by players (at least at this point) and I really like this because it truly is just like fighting a monster then, you don't have to worry about losing your 'super duper dragon bone marrow piercing seizure inducing dagger +3 int +5 dex +200 cha' from being stolen... and I need that charisma...

The End
(sorry for writing a short story as a response :D)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:00 pm

I like short story responses =) Since I have to go to class in a second, I'll keep this little comment short.

One thing that is scary about NOT losing items in PVP stuff is that at first it will seem like a nice thing, not having to worry about dying or losing, but by end game when there's not much else to do besides PVP/PVM whatever, it's going to get annoying when there's no risk/reward. No risk means people will be assholes and crappy players, and no true reward will also let down people. Sure I've been weened on UO where when you die it's full loot (all your equipment, items, etc.), but that was the beauty of it- PVP was a rush, it was scary, it kept you on your toes, it meant you formed genuine alliances and made true enemies, and it kept crafting alive because no equipment was truly THAT valuable, and could be replaced relatively easily, but crafted armor and weapons were always in demand.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:21 pm

Merk wrote:Didn't read any of the posts in this thread because all the posts thus far have been paragraph upon paragraph regarding SERIOUS discussion about MMORPGs.

Everquest
Everquest 2
Anarchy Online
Eve Online
Ragnarok Online
Vanguard
Dark Age Of Camelot
The Matrix Online
Lord of The Rings Online
Shadowbane
World Of Warcraft
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy XI
Asheron's Call
Asheron's Call 2
City of Heroes
City of Villians
Lineage
Lineage II
Maplestory
World War II Online
Planetside

FFXI
Team KIMO represent!

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:04 pm

that is true, that rush is not there, I still have to create my monster... I will do that in like 10 minutes, maybe there's more to it than I thought, because a loading screen mentioned raids.... mmmm....

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:38 pm

The non-disclosure agreement has been partially lifted due to a preview event and it has allowed me to post a couple images from the game:

Starting with a few scenery pictures:

This is my awesome hobbit farmer
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/1.jpg

This is on the top of weathertop, took forever to get to the top of it.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/2.jpg

This is in bindbole wood north of hobbiton, very pretty area
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/3.jpg

another shot of bindbole with my hobbit in it
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/4.jpg

Shot taken in the shire:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/5.jpg

That's actually the hill that has bag end at the top of it, I suppose I should've gotten a picture of bag end, I just liked the sunset.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/6.jpg

Tom bombadil!
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/7.jpg

This was during the stress test event and everyone was obsessed with going into the small room where strider was and looking at him... so I got a picture of it.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/8.jpg

That was a fellowship (group) that I formed and we were witnessing an event with some ringwraiths.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/9.jpg

Photos of monster play yay... I felt very small next to the troll. And I can't describe the system on how it works, but it is a very good system.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kadamczy/lotr/10.jpg

I overall really like the graphics.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 pm

one does not simply dubstep into mordor