halo 2 = mr. yuck face

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:21 pm

or we could just put it BACK ON TOPIC...

with your orriginal topic here darkwebster i dissagree with you about the obsessiveness of Halo2... it is bad howmany people are obsessed with it... but its because its a great game. If you dont like the game then thats alright...

me=Halo and Halo2 fan

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:44 pm

i used to bash this game alot. my friend has alot of halo2 lan parties so i decided to go to one and i had alot of fun. im kinda addicted now. all i had to do was give it a chance
Team KIMO represent!

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:06 pm

Personally, I think it was overhyped. Yeah, it's a fun game, I'm not saying otherwise, but it's nothing special, nothing new. It's not some huge world-altering experience like people make it out to be. There are far better games out there, that are far less hyped.

I'll agree with one of the initial comments. Half life 2 IS greater than Halo 2. Yeah, avid gamers eagerly awaited it's arrival, but it wasn't nearly as hyped and drooled over as Halo 2 was, and it's a far better game.

So long as we're arguing about consoles and pcs, I prefer PC's if I have a choice. Generally better graphics, better gameplay, and more options for customization. I still use my console, a PS2, but only for the games I can't play/find on my PC for any other reason.
Counter Strike? Heh he. It came with Half Life 2, so I played it a couple times. It was fun, since I didn't have the misfortune of playing with any of the technical players. It's a beautiful game though, and it ran smoothly, no lag at all, even though I don't have cable.

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:42 pm

Halo 2 = overhyped
It's an ok multiplayer game if you are playing with friends, but only because of the trash talking and stuff, which is with any multiplayer game.

Halo 2 is no better than any other game really, just graphically. I play with my friends prolly once a week, but I'll stick with pc games and lan parties any day. And no, Halo is not a real lan party.
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:15 pm

Umm, fpd you just got like 30 cool points. And yes It makes me rawr when kids think that lan parties and online edicut such as 1337, pwnd, gg, and what not originated from halo. what idiots. I just cant imagine a bunch of kids playing halo 2 at a lan being like "oo i pwnd you" i mean its halo 2, im sorry but no.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:48 am

People actually think that stuff started with Halo? Amusing. That was all firmly in place when I was playing Quake 2 on the net years ago, and I assume it's been around far long than that.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:21 am

fpd wrote:Halo 2 = overhyped
It's an ok multiplayer game if you are playing with friends, but only because of the trash talking and stuff, which is with any multiplayer game.

Halo 2 is no better than any other game really, just graphically. I play with my friends prolly once a week, but I'll stick with pc games and lan parties any day. And no, Halo is not a real lan party.
sorry... then what is?

and i agree halo2 is overhyped but remember a LONG time ago when Half Life2 was saposed to come out... but the source code got stolen?... well back then i know people who were like "OMG its comin out soon!!!" and they were just goin nuts about it... worse than anyone ive seen for Halo2...

anyways i cant say anything about half life2 bashing it because i havent played it before.... so yea...

but of course Halo2 is just another FPS with awesome graphics... but it has a HUGE fanbase... and so it is EASY to set up quick LANS with your friends and such..... and LAN to me IS Local Area Network (i am guessing Orriginal Sin thinks otherwise because of the comment about Quake2 on the net) and so being able to play Halo2 matches quickly and easily with 15 of my friends is what Halo2 is all about

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:59 am

Hey, I didn't even comment on the LAN thing. I hardly ever play multiplayer anything, I just mentioned Quake because it was the one I played the most back in the day. I really don't care about the LAN issue. You can call it what you want, I'm not one to get techinical.

Half Life 2 wasn't as hyped as Halo, at least, not here. I never saw any dramatic TV commercials for Half Life 2, I didn't see lines of people waiting outside the stores to buy it, or anything like that. It just came out. People bought it. To be honest, I think it got less hype than it deserved. It really is amazing.
I'm sorry, but I just don't think halo is deserving of what it got. At all. They make it look and sound so dramatic, but when I see it and play it, it just seems like the same thing over and over again.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:58 am

im just gunna say... one thing now i dont care anymore...

Halo2 is the game that i play with friends to HAVE FUN and it does a great job at that.

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:05 pm

Original Sin wrote:Hey, I didn't even comment on the LAN thing. I hardly ever play multiplayer anything, I just mentioned Quake because it was the one I played the most back in the day. I really don't care about the LAN issue. You can call it what you want, I'm not one to get techinical.

Half Life 2 wasn't as hyped as Halo, at least, not here. I never saw any dramatic TV commercials for Half Life 2, I didn't see lines of people waiting outside the stores to buy it, or anything like that. It just came out. People bought it. To be honest, I think it got less hype than it deserved. It really is amazing.
I'm sorry, but I just don't think halo is deserving of what it got. At all. They make it look and sound so dramatic, but when I see it and play it, it just seems like the same thing over and over again.

The main reason Hl2 didn't have the lines and the hype is because of steam. Most people bought it and it was automatically dl'd to their computers at midnight. No need to go get in a stupid ass line only to figure out they have no more copies. You just have it. I like it that way, it's very nice.
And yeah, hl2 was no where close to halo2 fanboyism. And Hl has much more reason to have the fanboys. They just know how to be fanboys, because they've been playing games for a long time, the majority of halo hardcore fans are newer gamers, in fact, many that I've talked to have never played a pc game in their life, which proves that they haven't really been gaming much, or that they are just a VERY strange breed and only play consoles (I've never met anyone who has played only console games their whole life and never played pc.)

btw, pc halo blew so much ass it's crazy, just thought I'd throw that in lol.
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:38 am

Halo's a fun multi player game, but in my opinion, that's the only thing it really has going for it. The single player gameplay is second rate at best, and redundant. The graphics are decent, but nothing extraordinary, especially when compared to games like Doom 3 and Half life 2.
I've said this before, but the main reason Halo/2 is so popular, is because it's accesable. Anyone can go to the store, buy it, and play it. It's not complicated, it's not hard, and you don't have to know anything about gaming/pc's to play it. That's the reason it has such a huge fan base. People that normally wouldn't play FPS games, play Halo. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but in comparison to other games of it's genre, it's not everything it's hyped up to be.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:51 am

Original Sin wrote:Halo's a fun multi player game, but in my opinion, that's the only thing it really has going for it. The single player gameplay is second rate at best, and redundant. The graphics are decent, but nothing extraordinary, especially when compared to games like Doom 3 and Half life 2.
I've said this before, but the main reason Halo/2 is so popular, is because it's accesable. Anyone can go to the store, buy it, and play it. It's not complicated, it's not hard, and you don't have to know anything about gaming/pc's to play it. That's the reason it has such a huge fan base. People that normally wouldn't play FPS games, play Halo. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but in comparison to other games of it's genre, it's not everything it's hyped up to be.
And he hits the jackpot...

This is exactly what I believe. The main reason Halo became so popular is because of how accessible, simple, and easy it is to play a game. It's designed for the masses.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, it didn't really do anything revolutionary, and in the FPS genre it's pretty average. It caught on because of its simplicity and its ability to attract the generic sports game player (aka those people that buy the new iteration of Madden every year), among other people that usually wouldn't play an FPS.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:30 pm

Adam agreed with me! I've got this warm fuzzy feeling now. :wink:

Spartan_117
Standard
Standard

Post by Spartan_117 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:53 pm

Ok, Halo 2 had a great story line though. Half life. . .well, I have never even heard of it. . .but it sounds fun.

Second thing: Why is there such an argument over the console game and the computer game???
The computer game is going to win because of supposedly better graphics and game play.

I do have to make a flaw in halo 2's plan for success.

In the little cutscenes, WTF is with the textures changing on the characters? I just don't understand why bungie would put so much graphic detail into a game when it won't fit?

Third thing: sorry, but (never playing it) I think that Half Life 2 would win.

Sorry if this starts yet another flame war.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:33 am

The big difference between the two, is that Halo is a game for the general public, while Half Life is a gamer's game. It's extremely cinematic, and thrives on intelligent game play, and character interactions, while in Halo, your general goal is to shoot anything that moves, and you win.
Half Life/2 is also extremely hard in comparison. You will die. You will die frequently, especially if you take the 'run in guns blazing' approach. Usually, enemies are smarter than you, and they use it to their advantage.
It's defenitely an advanced FPS game, while Halo is meant for anyone to be able to play with little or no prior experience.