Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:38 am

dance1005 wrote:
Dyme wrote:halo in general is a joke
Umm, nobody forced you to come here, GTFO.
how old are u kid? like 13? yeah thats what i thought. and the game is just really bad. any serious gamer will say the same thing.
Last edited by Dyme on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team KIMO represent!

Wolfen
Standard
Standard

Post by Wolfen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:41 am

I think this thread needs more Catbus.

HALO IS FOR FAGGOTS. MASTER CHIEF? MORE LIKE MASTERBATE

LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL

Opps, did I break the internet?
ImageImageImage

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:35 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Well... Tribes on a more pro level was crazy team oriented. Each team had something like 8 - 10 people, more people to manage. Often time sthere were multiple cappers, defenders, and various types of offense. Add equipment stations that need to be repaired and complicated routes that need to be run in a synched pattern. Counter-Strike is 5 on 5 team deathmatch. There's plenty of strategy to be sure, but I just don't think it's more than Tribes.
more like 15-20 on each team for tribes

also nice furry catbus wolfen, go screw it

i like on DOA4 when people see the chick in the halo armor and they say LOL IS DAT MASTER CHIEF A BLUNT

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:21 am

LOL wolfen is straight from /b/

OR SHOULD I SAY /FUR/ AMIREITEAMIRITEAMIRITEAMIRITE
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:07 pm

veryrite
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

liquidblue aka DBV wrote: fighting games are *far* more mainstream than FPS games

i mention street fighter, anyone knows what that is

i mention doom or quake, almost no one knows what that is (true fact)
This is my last post in this thread, but I just have to say that that is one of the most bullshit statements that I have ever read.

How bout you compare how many people play DOA/Tekken/Soul Calibur to how many people play Halo/CS/Gears of War?

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:12 pm

dance1005 wrote:
liquidblue aka DBV wrote: fighting games are *far* more mainstream than FPS games

i mention street fighter, anyone knows what that is

i mention doom or quake, almost no one knows what that is (true fact)
This is my last post in this thread, but I just have to say that that is one of the most bullshit statements that I have ever read.

How bout you compare how many people play DOA/Tekken/Soul Calibur to how many people play Halo/CS/Gears of War?
how about you compare how many people have heard of street fighter and still play a fighting game compared to how many people have heard of counterstrike/halo/gears of war and still play it?

no one in my entire family has heard of the latter three games. they can all recite every character in SFII by name. gg

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:49 pm

Just because it was a huge cultural reference in the early 90's, including an arcade craze, console controversies, and a movie. I find it hard to believe there are more overall consistent players (i.e., not twice a year or something) than Halo, Counter-Strike, or any FPS.

I can name all the Street Fighter characters, but that doesn't mean I play it. FPS's are played a lot more by a lot more players overall.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:08 pm

I think you're getting at the idea that there are more die-hard FPS players than fighting game players, in which case I would agree.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:49 pm

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:
Potter wrote:
letshavetea wrote:Halo 2 did a lot of stuff right that most FPS games haven't pulled off.

I was going to try to stay out of this halo argument, but LOL
QFT, halo introduced absolutely nothing to the genre:

starsiege: tribes = first vehicles, first jetpacks, first open landscapes, first air battles, almost a decade before halo 1, supported first total conversion mods before any other FPS, has more mods than any other FPS even today

plus it has different armors w/different weapon sets, etc.

unreal tournament = faster gameplay, bigger community, second use of vehicles in 2k5 or whatever, better graphics in later versions than halo has ever had, introduced adrenaline moves, etc.

i can go on and on but yeah, halo introduced nothing to the FPS community except a bunch of scrubs who think they're good at FPS games because they're good at halo....

when halo is easily one of the slowest, easiest, scrubbiest FPS games ever. one shot kills ftl.

the gameplay basically = shoot someone a bunch, then hit them with your weapon/sword.

it's good as a friendly pickup game or as just screwing around and being stupid with your friends but nowhere near serious gameplay/depth level.
Thomas Edison didn't invent the lightbulb, he just made it work. Just because Halo didn't create the new features, doesn't mean you cant say that the game didn't pull them off well.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Riot wrote:Just because it was a huge cultural reference in the early 90's, including an arcade craze, console controversies, and a movie. I find it hard to believe there are more overall consistent players (i.e., not twice a year or something) than Halo, Counter-Strike, or any FPS.

I can name all the Street Fighter characters, but that doesn't mean I play it. FPS's are played a lot more by a lot more players overall.
you guys should visit some california arcades.

SVGL, MGL, and my own home modesto arcade, have a constant (throughout the day on weekends, about 50% of the time on weekdays) 4-5 person line on ALL the fighting games.

literally on weekends at SVGL, the line on CvS2, MvC2, 3rd strike, soul calibur 3, KOF, Tekken, and Guilty Gear XX all have at least three or so people constantly in line, all day long.

On weekdays it fluctuates. MGL is even more, usually having about seven or eight person lines, it's almost impossible to even move through the arcade most days.

At my own arcade, CvS2 usually has a 20-23 person line on weekends, we need to use pieces of paper to write down the names.

People get WAY more hardcore (percentage wise) with fighting games than FPS games. Go on shoryuken.com with it's 10,000+ members, just for capcom games, every single one of them is hard hard HARDCORE about capcom fighting games.

This isn't counting the leigons of guilty gear players, tekken players (zaibatsu.net), etc.

and it's not counting how basically fighting games/music games = dominate japanese arcades of course too.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Yes, in California these things may be true.

But in the rest of the world, kids are too fat to get off the couch, and Halo online is perfect for them.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:56 pm

TaQa wrote:Yes, in California these things may be true.

But in the rest of the world, kids are too fat to get off the couch, and Halo online is perfect for them.
QFT
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:02 pm

TaQa wrote:Yes, in California these things may be true.

that was well put. i love you
Team KIMO represent!

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:09 pm

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:SVGL, MGL, and my own home modesto arcade, have a constant (throughout the day on weekends, about 50% of the time on weekdays) 4-5 person line on ALL the fighting games.

literally on weekends at SVGL, the line on CvS2, MvC2, 3rd strike, soul calibur 3, KOF, Tekken, and Guilty Gear XX all have at least three or so people constantly in line, all day long.

On weekdays it fluctuates. MGL is even more, usually having about seven or eight person lines, it's almost impossible to even move through the arcade most days.
I've never been to the Sunnyvale Golfland (though I plan to next time I'm out there), but I have been to the Milpitas Golfland multiple times. I've been there a few times on Thursdays, a couple times on Saturday, and at least once on a different weekday as well. I've also been to the Castro Valley Golfland a ton of times, on pretty much every day of the week. Anyway, I've never seen constant lines on all the fighting games. At times when it would get really busy a group would gather around a particular machine or two, but I never saw it last terribly long. Granted, I was generally more attentive to the music games at these locations, but I can't recall there ever being anywhere near as much demand for the fighting games as you claim. In fact, the game that I remember having the biggest lines was probably Initial D. DDR/ITG/Other Bemani usually would form some nice lines as well.

Anyway, from what I've seen, the racing games seem to be a hell of a lot more popular than the fighting games out there. I seem to recal Initial D and DDR/ITG getting lines more often then the fighting games.

By the way, I'm originally from the Castro Valley/Hayward area, and I'm usually out there visiting friends and family at least a couple times a year. I've been out to the Modesto area multiple times, but I've never been to the arcade out there. Most of the time I go to CVGL with my friend, due to the fact that it's close by, but we've been making it a point to make at least a couple trips down to MGL each time I'm out there. Next time we'll have to pay SVGL a visit.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?