Halo 3

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:01 pm

letshavetea wrote:When Halo 1 was being made (for the mac originally) when they showed it at E3 nobody cared. It looked crappy and it seemed just like another FPS. After M$ bought them and they created it for the Xbox, they fixed up the game a bit and released it. People went nuts.
this had me rolling on the floor laughing my tits off

you obviously have no clue if you think halo wasn't big until ms bought it. people were salivating over halo for years. it's the successor to marathon! why wouldn't mac users want it?

when bungie was bought out by microsoft and annouced halo 1 being xbox exclusive the amount of backlash from the community was astronomical.

and yes you are a halo fanboy.
insert code compile execute return

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 pm

I won't try to defend Halo for being original, or for being superior to other shooters, and I won't try to debate its origins. Frankly, I don't care about any of the above.

The fact is, Halo brought console gamers a shooter besides Goldeneye that was worth playing. It brought so many, in fact, that the X-Box succeeded, an astronimical fanbase was created, and online console gaming became something worth doing to those who had never dreamed of it.

I know there are games out there that have done everything better than Halo or Halo 2 has. Compared to PC-based shooters (CS, QIII, the list goes on), the game is slow and clunky and requires a fraction of the timing required in those titles. The online H2 play was buggy and cheat-ridden, and the gameplay's physics were questionable enough that (true story) led me eventually to destroying my X-Box by punching it to death Donkey Kong style.

But: believe me when I say that with popularity comes entertainment; the more people that play a game, the more social it becomes, and the more enjoyable it is.

DDR, from it's most basic formula, isn't that hell of a great game in terms of innovation; but it brings people together, catches an extra eye from onlookers, and creates friendships. All while being a (now) very mainstream game.

I don't play Halo 2 to play Halo 2. I play Halo 2 to meet new people, talk trash, find common interest with (many) other gamers, and pass a few hours when I'm bored. Let both everyone trying to make it out to be the worst game ever made and everyone trying to say it's the best shooter of all time drink a tall, warm glass of STFU.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:42 pm

Potter wrote:
letshavetea wrote:Halo 2 did a lot of stuff right that most FPS games haven't pulled off.

I was going to try to stay out of this halo argument, but LOL
QFT, halo introduced absolutely nothing to the genre:

starsiege: tribes = first vehicles, first jetpacks, first open landscapes, first air battles, almost a decade before halo 1, supported first total conversion mods before any other FPS, has more mods than any other FPS even today

plus it has different armors w/different weapon sets, etc.

unreal tournament = faster gameplay, bigger community, second use of vehicles in 2k5 or whatever, better graphics in later versions than halo has ever had, introduced adrenaline moves, etc.

i can go on and on but yeah, halo introduced nothing to the FPS community except a bunch of scrubs who think they're good at FPS games because they're good at halo....

when halo is easily one of the slowest, easiest, scrubbiest FPS games ever. one shot kills ftl.

the gameplay basically = shoot someone a bunch, then hit them with your weapon/sword.

it's good as a friendly pickup game or as just screwing around and being stupid with your friends but nowhere near serious gameplay/depth level.

so i agree with shammer basically
Wolfen wrote: And I'm black, we can't help but get large boners.
http://www.sizesurvey.com/result.html

"Surprisingly, it would appear from Figure 5, that contrary to popular myth, Black males have shorter erect lengths than their Caucasian counterparts."

looks like i got a bigger one

Wolfen
Standard
Standard

Post by Wolfen » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:43 am

You actually looked that up?

That's sad.
ImageImageImage

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 am

Wolfen wrote:You actually looked that up?

That's sad.
assuming again

is that something furries do?

i was on the site earlier today because one of my friends linked me to it and i remembered that quote

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:28 am

Wolfen wrote:You actually looked that up?

That's sad.

Just so you know, BlackCat is not actually a black animal here on IndyDDR. Please don't sex it.

:3

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:44 am

gg at sams post and LOL at fluffys
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:12 pm

dance1005 wrote:I know that it's nothing revolutionary, and that it's "crap" compared to a lot of "better" FPSs, but, bottom-line, it's more fun than anything else to play on Xbox Live,
dead or alive 4

people get way more riled up on there than halo

plus it's actually a good game, both for pickup and depth :O

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Fighting games are a niche genre, Halo is mainstream enough that anybody can pick up and enjoy it.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:30 pm

I'm glad someone mentioned Tribes. I played that game longer than any other FPS. Did anyone else get really into that game?

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:48 pm

dance1005 wrote:Fighting games are a niche genre, Halo is mainstream enough that anybody can pick up and enjoy it.
what

fighting games are *far* more mainstream than FPS games

i mention street fighter, anyone knows what that is

i mention doom or quake, almost no one knows what that is (true fact)

fighting games have been around just as long as FPS games and are far more money making than FPS games, and far more popular/have a bigger userbase.

i mean, http://www.shoryuken.com . that's just on capcom games. has like 10's of thousands of members.

you go into japanese arcades or american arcades and at least 30-40% of the games are fighting games.
Fluffyumpkins wrote:I'm glad someone mentioned Tribes. I played that game longer than any other FPS. Did anyone else get really into that game?
yeah, i played it since the day it came out and still do sometimes

honestly not bragging but i consider myself to be (just on the following facts) probably within about the top 10-20 on the game right now

-tons of people still play it, especially after gamespy released it again

-the level of play on tribes is higher than any other FPS, due to using nearly all of the keyboard for basic commands *needed* to do decently, and because over 80% of players are oldbies with years of experience

-tribes is much harder than any other FPS, both in learning it and in still playing it, due to having to lay defense, protect generators, lay mines, set commands on the map screen, flying vehicles, taking down enemy defense, air battles, wide open maps, over 9 armor types and 50 weapons to be ready for (on modded servers), over 15 turret types, force fields, etc. you all have to deal with, plus every armor has it's own grenade/beacon/mine set, 10 backpacks, etc.

but those are reasons i love it; playing other fps games just feels... simple, after tribes.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:17 pm

I never did much with Renegades or any of those mods, I pretty much stuck to base. And football, heh. I think the real draw to the game was skiing. The routes people came up with on a lot of maps were pretty intense. I wasn't ever amazing at the game, but I got to be pretty darn good. I've never seen a game that requires as much team coordination since, and this includes Counterstrike. And Halo. And Beatmania. Suck it.
Last edited by Fluffyumpkins on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:10 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I never did much with Renegades or any of those moda, I pretty much stuck to base. And football, heh. I think the real draw to the game was skiing. The routes people came up with on a lot of maps were pretty intense. I wasn't ever amazing at the game, but I got to be pretty darn good. I've never seen a game that requires as much team coordination since, and this includes Counterstrike. And Halo. And Beatmania. Suck it.
yeah, but unfortunately, because almost everyone on tribes now is pro, pretty much everyone plays 1 man team, including me

i can basically rip apart an entire base, and disable thier gens and all turrets and inv stations and cap the flag on say, rollercoaster (the map) in under 45 seconds

and there's people even faster at that, i mean i repair stuff too but yeah, teamwork = mostly gone

but it was good when it was there

i just like shifter mod (renegades sucks) because it really IS balanced if you don't include nukes. arbitor armor = ultimate flag cap/base destroying armor.

base is good but not many people play it anymore :-/

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:30 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I never did much with Renegades or any of those moda, I pretty much stuck to base. And football, heh. I think the real draw to the game was skiing. The routes people came up with on a lot of maps were pretty intense. I wasn't ever amazing at the game, but I got to be pretty darn good. I've never seen a game that requires as much team coordination since, and this includes Counterstrike. And Halo. And Beatmania. Suck it.
Well if you play CS in pubs...

High-end matches and most scrims at a decent level are pretty much unparalleled, and yes I have played Tribes. The combination of having to have a solid shot AND very detailed stratbooks make it a little more difficult to be successful in. Half the game is team chemistry and the ability to work off everyone else's moves. I know Capture the Flag and stuff requires a lot of teamwork, but I still don't think it requires the same amount of each player on the team.

Also, I am a furry.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:18 am

Well... Tribes on a more pro level was crazy team oriented. Each team had something like 8 - 10 people, more people to manage. Often time sthere were multiple cappers, defenders, and various types of offense. Add equipment stations that need to be repaired and complicated routes that need to be run in a synched pattern. Counter-Strike is 5 on 5 team deathmatch. There's plenty of strategy to be sure, but I just don't think it's more than Tribes.