Phantasy Star Universe

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Phantasy Star Universe

Post by sam » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:05 pm

AWESOME!

I got it for ps2 today. Love it. It doesn't use a cdkey so if you're evil you could get the pc version and sign up at http://www.playsega.com...i'm pretty sure that was intentional on sega's behalf. psu is worth the purchase though.
insert code compile execute return

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:48 pm

I've read that the online play is kind of glitchy at the moment, like lots of vanishing characters, sudden disconnections, and character losses. Plus I've heard a lot of the charm from the old PSO games was lost somehow. Any truth to that?

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:46 pm

not at all...there's a delay when you first enter a mission if it had been going because it has to load player models

it still feels like pso but better..not the boring attack hard attack attack over and over and over. they made it so classes are not tied to specific people and you can switch throughout the game. the offline mode is NOTHING like online mode and has an actual story to it.

pretty fun but the authentication servers died...go go launch day :cry:

oh yeah and you can set the item drops in missions to whomever picks up, set order or random set order :twisted:

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:12 pm

oh man this game is awesome

i've got about 15 hours logged so far (i'm losing my life!)

but i also ran into a mailbox so i'm broke for a while. so i guess life works in mysterious ways :roll:

the game heavily relies on synthesizing items. you can make weapons based on the level of your PM (equivalent of your mag) and increase the success rate based on the level of the PM. It starts out chilling in your room but when it fully matures it turns into this real-doll girl thing and will follow you and kick ass with you.

the cool thing about this game is that each player has their own room. you can turn this into a shop by upgrading it or decorate it. you visit other rooms if you have their card and can buy stuff from their PM or just chill for a bit. I like sitting in rooms while I'm afk so when people log on they're like "what"

you also wear clothes in this game and you can purchase or make or find clothes in the game to customize your look. they have no effect on your stats though so in rebellion i wear no clothes.

the weapon system was upgraded to this "palette system." You equip weapons by placing them on the palette which can be brought up in mission by a button. you link "photon arts" to the weapon which are like crazy attacks you can do with the weapons. forces are the only ones that can use techniques and they are linked to staffs or rods.

there's a LOT of new stuff in this game, truely what PSO should've been and I'm loving every bit of it. even though I lost a 5 star weapon to an upgrade that had a "very high" chance of working. MY ASS!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:02 pm

sam wrote:in rebellion i wear no clothes.
That's getting sig'd.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:52 pm

:cry:

this game is great and has such potential but it's being run by a bunch of idiots. the highest level of weapon you can equip is a 6 star, the level cap is at 50, skill cap at 20, job level at 10 and the amount of missions available would be comparable to that of say... i don't know. you can finish them all with 1 session of playing. there's 9 missions total online. what the fuck.

you reach skill caps in a matter of days. i already capped out the skills for sabers, twin sabers, twin daggers, daggers, swords and spears. you hit the job level cap before you're anywhere NEAR the level cap and it costs 10k to switch job classes. you can only be 1 job at a time so it's like wasted xp unless you really want a multi-job char.

there's no word from sega about when they're going to unlock more content. if the japan logs are to show anything, 1 month and 4 days. so i paid $9.99 for 30 days of 9 missions. god do i feel cheated.

even worse is the community is starting to get pissed off. there's 1 mission that everyone does. it's pretty much like forest from pso but instead of a dragon the bos is a da ragan and it has 2 tails. it's gotten so run that people call it "bragan runs" (level b de ragan). truthfully, it's the ONLY mission worth doing because it gives the most rewards. humerously, it's the first of all the boss missions that unlocks at level 15. the rest are 20 or 25.

so i sit here and think "what the fuck is going on?" :roll:

further investigations show that in the most recent patch they LOCKED missions! GG SEGA! :?

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 am

I have been playing this game for a while... I didn't feel it was worth another topic so I'm bumping this one.

I have quite a few hours in on this game... but I've had very few opportuniies to actually sit down and play for a long time.

The game has been expanding massivly from what I've heard on other boards. They unlocked another run/area and it seems like the game is expanding faster than I can even see it all

There's been a lot of hackers on the PS2/PC servers lately though. They've been going around dropping unreleased weapons into people's storage bins in their rooms... getting them banned. So if I were you... I'd lock your room if you still even play.

The game does have a lot of potential. I see them using it quite well though. For me, as a casual gamer, it seems to play out a lot better than for someone who will sit down for many hours on end to play.

Evilchris88
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Evilchris88 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 pm

Ive only played it a few times but it is a cool game :D