The 'help-malictus-pick-a-new-game' thread

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

The 'help-malictus-pick-a-new-game' thread

Post by malictus » Wed May 24, 2006 9:32 pm

OK, so I need some advice here. I'm a nightowl so I'm usually the last one in the house to go to bed. I usually 'de-stress' myself by playing a game for 30 to 60 minutes a night. For a while now I've been playing World Of Warcraft, which has been great fun, but I'm getting bored with it at last and unwilling to keep paying the monthly fee. (I never even made it all the way to 60 since I kept switching characters :lol:)

So I need a new game; suggestions, anyone? It must be for PC; I like MMORPG's, but I also like puzzle games and simulations like Civilization.

Help!

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed May 24, 2006 9:38 pm

Oblivion, purhaps? Though, depending on your computer's specs, you may have to put down a pretty penny or two to be able to play it at a decent setting.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed May 24, 2006 10:19 pm

iidk about you but the one game that i have loved since iw as in 3th grade is the original duke nukem 3d. That game is so much fun. the shooting, the babes and the one liners he always said. and all the secret areas! that game was sooo awsome. you can find it on limewire, just a folder to dl and play. Seriously tryi t out fun game. Or maybe im wrong and this is just me reminiskin
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed May 24, 2006 11:43 pm

SimCity 4 with Rush Hour. Amazingly addictive, despite the rediculously high system requirements (hint: turn off your on-demand virus scanner).

Make sure you grab all the fanbase made mods that are decent. Especially the transportation supermod - no more surrounding subway and bus stops with an acre of concrete.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Thu May 25, 2006 12:06 am

Rollercoaster tycoon 3. My fav game THE END.
Warning incoming game!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Re: The 'help-malictus-pick-a-new-game' thread

Post by lgolem » Thu May 25, 2006 12:43 am

malictus wrote:I usually 'de-stress' myself by playing a game for 30 to 60 minutes a night. For a while now I've been playing World Of Warcraft, which has been great fun, but I'm getting bored with it at last and unwilling to keep paying the monthly fee. (I never even made it all the way to 60 since I kept switching characters :lol:)
LOL, a WoW player that is cool, I have like 4 level 60 characters...and stopped playing it cause I didn't have another 70$ for another 6 months.

3 PC games I highly recommend

RPG: Oblivion....it is just awesome, but as white dragon said you REALLY need a nice pc to run it

FPS: FEAR.....best shooting game for PC sense Half Life 2

RTS: Command and Conquer: Generals

I know it may sound odd but I love the mmorpgs, and I thought I would hate it but I love it. You should try Maple Story, it is free, it is a mmorpg and it will entertain you for a bit. I can't stop playing it even though I didn't think I would like it.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu May 25, 2006 1:04 am

lgolem wrote: FPS: FEAR.....best shooting game for PC sense Half Life 2
I concur, awesome game. It can be a bit of a resource whore, though.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu May 25, 2006 7:24 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrinet tetrinet is free & who doesn't like tetris multiplayer!?
insert code compile execute return

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Thu May 25, 2006 9:09 am

I play Guild Wars....thats about the only hting I do play...but now I want to go get Doom and Duke Nukem. I loved Duke Nukem!
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu May 25, 2006 10:19 am

Original Sin wrote:
lgolem wrote: FPS: FEAR.....best shooting game for PC sense Half Life 2
I concur, awesome game. It can be a bit of a resource whore, though.
Yeah it is a bit of a resource whore, you really need a nice comp to run it smoothly. They are releasing an expansion pack soon for it, with another 10 hours of game play. 10 more hours of me screaming like a girl.....lol.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu May 25, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. Keep 'em coming!

PS - I probably should have mentioned that I don't have an uber-graphics-card....

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu May 25, 2006 1:40 pm

Pheadra wrote: I loved Duke Nukem!
Yes! I really wish they'd make more Duke games...quality Duke games, that is. I loved the crazy action and the one liners.

And an expansion pack for FEAR? *joygasm*

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu May 25, 2006 2:42 pm

malictus wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. Keep 'em coming!

PS - I probably should have mentioned that I don't have an uber-graphics-card....
Honestly your best bet for MMORPGS would be GuildWars, just like 40$ for the software and no subscription fees, and it feels like WoW at times. And if you can run WoW you can run GuildWars.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu May 25, 2006 8:03 pm

I don't play rpgs that much but my brother plays runescape all the time. It's free and it doesn't take an uber graphics card. Be warned though, its filled with 13 year olds like my brother.

Is stepmania a given? And smo
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:24 am

Well if you have a decent PC then i reccomend getting Sacred. its a great dia-blow esqe game. plus you get horses! =D if you dont really wanna shell out the monies for it i could send you a copy