Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 10

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Wii are the champions...

Post by sam » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:24 pm

wtf is this crap.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

i think this name is absolutely retarded. maybe they're doing 3 letters because all the other systems ditched the huge long names for little acronyms. I.e Playstation > PSX > PS2 or X-Box. Much easier to remember than GCN AGB VG DMG CGB etc...

i don't know but my wii wii is not happy with this one.
insert code compile execute return

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:53 pm

I have to agree with you. I can't get too excited about this name either.

It sounds alright connected with Nintendo, as in 'Nintendo Wii,' but by itself it sounds strange, too short, and underdescriptive.

I wonder if it will turn out that it will be indelibly linked to the Nintendo name. That would be an interesting contrast to Playstation and Xbox that I almost never hear spoken along with their company names as in 'Sony Playstation' and 'Microsoft Xbox.'

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Hey Billy, come over and play with my wii. But don't tell your Mom or I'll kill you.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:31 pm

that is funny..... I think nintendo has kinda lost their minds here...
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Now hold on a second...I don't think it's all that bad. I think Nintendo really needs to do something about their loss of market share, so why stick with the regular OMGZ0RZ MY CONSOLE NAME SOUNDS HARDCORE? I mean, they've got nothing to lose. And these days, consumers seem to be won over more by gimmicks and first impressions than actual quality. Hell, Snakes on a Plane is probably gonna be the hit of the summer because of it's odd-one-out name. (That and SLJ of course). And I think they've got a pretty good explanation for the name, too. So, hell, why not? That's a positive vote for me.

-Dan

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:38 pm

I think they still could've done better than Wii. I agree that they don't need to go along w/ the idea of extreme power or sequentialism. I'd like to have seen some sort of legacy naming with the gamecube though. I don't know how it'd really be possible. But like they kept the Nintendo name as a legacy all through their cartridge home consoles and used "boy" in all their portables. gameboy if you want to exclude virtual boy as it's considered a portable and not a handheld like the gameboy legacy. Gamecube was the start of their cd based legacy and well. Fudge.

~*Sam*~

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:12 pm

It's a really dumb name, but we'll get used to it like every other dumb name for consoles throughout history. My main problem is that Revolution was the perfect name for the system in my opinion, so Wii seems especially dumb by comparison.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:15 pm

wtf has been up with sam lately?
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:16 am

Potter wrote:wtf has been up with sam lately?
what? just because he's not 100% supporting the revolution :D
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:15 am

I couldnt view the website on this computer (im at school) but I doubt they will keep the name. And if they do, really I dont care. A name is a name and its whats on the inside that counts right guys!?...

I dont care about the name... I want to play the system. I am more hyped about this release than I was about Halo 2... And I bought FIVE xboxes for Halo 1 so that we could have LAN parties and such.... we were like giddy little school girls over the launch of Halo2 and some of us (myself included) took off school November 9th to play Halo2 all day. Im more excited NOW than I was about the launch of Halo 2.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:51 am

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:59 pm

ps: not made by me

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Yeah cause Wii isn't half as cool as
XBOX

But if you absolutely must know how they make these decisions on naming products, just watch the first episode of the Dilbert animated series. Then you may actually forgive them for being so idiotic.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:36 pm

I want to know what names were thrown out for them to stick with Wii. They must have been HORRIBLE names.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:53 am

Green Tea wrote:
Potter wrote:wtf has been up with sam lately?
what? just because he's not 100% supporting the revolution :D
no, his posts have been wierd as hell
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy