Revolution Controller video

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Revolution Controller video

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 pm

I think the only game I ever played for actual fun on the Wii is Xenoblade Chronicles.

Zelda games are more of the same.
The Silent Hill game was pretty good from what I read.
Maybe Punch-Out is good, I don't know.
That's about it! There's some decent DLC out there but who wants to throw money at the problem? Not this guy.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I ended up buying a Nintendo Wii off the Blandford's. Though the console didn't amount to a whole lot, there were some games I'd missed. I need your help, IndyDDR, recommending good games that came out for the Wii during its lifetime.
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Smash Bros Brawl
No More Heroes 1 and 2
Castle of Shikigami III
MadWorld
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Kind of rare cause this was a limited release so be warned)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:15 pm

You talk like the Wii is dead and buried. Worldwide, it's still the highest selling console of this generation and #3 of all time behind PS2 and PS1.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:37 pm

With the WiiU coming out soon I figured most of the big titles had already been developed/released. There are only 10 more games set to release between now and July in the US. There are 53 for the Xbox and 52 for the PS3. It definitely isn't dead, but I think it will be a pretty quick decline from here forward.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/releases

I figure by now people have sifted through the ~1300 games that were released and found the best of the best.

???Did you know???
Major League Baseball 2K12 is set for release on the PS2 this March. That console will never die.
Gun Lord will be release on the Dreamcast on 1/5 (though I think this is unofficial.)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:37 pm

I dunnoooooooooo, I think it's been dead in most "traditional" gamers' eyes for a few years. They captured the casual market then basically only catered towards them for the last couple years in most people's minds from what I've seen. Like it or not, a lot of what's popular these days is flashiness and Wii simply lacks the hardware to stay up to date and gets all the watered down terrible ports of what's popular. Honestly, the media painted it as a casual, family-oriented alternative to the more "serious, hardcore" gaming choices, and consumers willed this to be true. The movement-based control gimmick, as some say, wore thin, and Nintendo's choices to basically ignore the only revolutionary leap in this generation's line-up (online play) as other popular online games started to take off basically relegated the Wii to bargain bin carnival kid games for the giant pool of families who bought them in the first year "Tickle-me-Elmo" hype craze. And the retirement homes are probably still playing Wii bowling now.

There are some great, killer app games on Wii I'm sure, but really, it's probably less than 10. Nintendo better make a big splash with the Wii U and get it out soon before the competition....

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Wow. My friend (@magicjames) just posted an impressive list.
In alphabetical order...

Arc Rise Fantasia is a decent JRPG in Namco's "Tales of" vein.

Blast Works is Kenta Cho's Tumuki Fighters with a lot of polish. In fact, a bunch of Kenta Cho's games are unlockable on this disc. Pretty rad!

Boom Blox is a ball throwing and stacking physics party game. It is in fact a lot of fun, especially after you spend some time unlocking some things and get a group together. There's a sequel called Boom Blox Bash Party, which is just as good if that is what you are after.

Dead Space Extraction is a competent rail shooter with p. good graphics.

Disney Epic Mickey is pretty good I hear. Warren Specter, the guy behind the original Deus Ex games, made this.

Dragon Quest Swords is a great twist on Dragon Quest. The town is boring, but the actual quests are worth playing for.

Elebits is a weird but fun action puzzle game with great music by... Nekomata Master! Cop the soundtrack if you do nothing else, it's more than just that weird song that actually made it into IIDX.

Excite Truck is actually great once you learn you can replace the crappy midi butt rock with your own music via SD card. I think this is the only Wii game that did this, too. The game itself has sort of a Hydro Thunder unleashed feel to it.

Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Dungeon is pretty good if you are into Roguelikes. Otherwise it is just cute and slow and weird.

Fragile Dreams is a really pretty action RPG. It has a really good plot, but it features a 13 year old girl in skimpy clothing who shows up partway through the game and is hella embarrassing. The game might be worth checking out despite this, as the world is gorgeous and the combat is decent.

Ghost Squad is a Sega lightgun game that is awesome. It has a 4 player party mode where you can throw ninja stars at ninjas, shoot water guns at bikini ladies and lots more. The game is an arcade port so it is short, but it has tons of replay value with the extra content to unlock.

Goldeneye 007 is a remake of the N64 Goldeneye, and it now features Daniel Craig. Interesting in that it tries to patch modern FPS tropes and graphics to it's original campaign. Multiplayer is still there, but I've not had any people to try it out with down here.

Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns is two games on one disk. These were probably better in the arcade where you had those giant mounted rifles that shook violently as you played (even more awesome to dual wield!). Still it is what it is.

Harvey Birdman is an Ace Attorney clone that is full of non sequitur answers and jokes. Kind of a short ride, but fun while it lasts.

House of the Dead 2 & 3, if you want to play House of the Dead 2 & 3.

House of the Dead Overkill has a great B rated horror movie vibe to it for the first couple of missions, but the humor quickly turns to grotesque and crude jokes and I kind of lost my interest in it past that point. Your results may vary.

Kirby Return to Dreamland is the latest Kirby game and looks fairly simple, but also compelling if you have 4 people to play it.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is also pretty simple, but the game is solid and the yarn effects are neat.

Kororinpa Marble Mania is a great marble physics game that is controlled like the wooden labyrinth board game. It's sequal, Marble Saga, is lots more of the same.

The Last Story is an import only game at this point. Imagine a Final Fantasy kind of game, made by Mist Walker, and combine it with some gameplay elements of Gears of War and Vagrant Story. The game is fantastic, and worst case scenereo, you will have to mod your Wii and import it from Europe to get it in english when it comes out there in February.

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is what it is. As is Twilight Princess. You know already if you want to play a Zelda game or not.

The Lego Star Wars and Lego Batman games are ok for a gimmicky brawler. There are worse ways to spend time.

King's Story is a creative twist on the Pikmen design. Instead of alien plant people, you throw your trained citizens at giant monsters to take them out, giant trees to chop them down and to bring back supplies. I fully recommend it.

MadWorld is a hilarious overly violent game show themed action platformer. You will hear Greg Proops from Who's Line Is That Anyway? say some pretty great lines as you slaughter hundreds of Mad Max wastelander rejects over a black and white color pallet. I liked it.

Metroid Prime games are what they are. 1 was probably the best, 2 was overly fetch questy, and 3... well.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri is pretty fantastic especially if you can get this going online and play with some people.

Muramasa is an action 2d platformer from Vanillaware, the same people who made Odin Sphere. It's really pretty, but I think the game itself is somewhat shallow.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a really decent Mario 2d platformer.

No More Heroes 1 & 2, as recommended above. Really great games.

Opoona is my buried gem recommendation on this list. It's a somewhat standard JRPG with gorgeous music, Phantasy Star Online looking cities and environments, and a somewhat chubby kid with a floating ball above his head that he uses as his weapon. The universe has a lot going on, including independent art movements and exhibits spread out all across the different lands. Totally, totally check this one out.

Okami, if you missed it on PS2.

Punch Out! is pretty great, but physically demanding.

Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is pretty much the definitive version of RE4 for me. Aiming with the Wiimote is the best thing about it.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are more light gun games to add to the list. Creepy ambient music by Killer 7 and recent console IIDX composer Masafumi Takada.

Rune Factory Frontier is there to scratch your Harvest Moon withdrawal itch.

Rygar is a port of the PS2 game, only now Rygar has silver hair, uh. Still one of my favorite 3D action platformers.

Samba De Amigo, in case you missed this on the Dreamcast.

Sengoku Basara is a Dynasty Warriors clone by Capcom. It's not too bad, actually.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a more cerebral less combat take on the Silent Hill games.

Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor is one of the best Treasure games you will ever play. That really should be telling you something. The controls look a bit intimidating at first, but get a classic controller and it will all feel much more natural.

Sonic Colors is the best 3D sonic game I've played, and well, I know that isn't saying much. Still, worth a shot.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

Super Paper Mario looks great on paper (hur hur) and it is quite charming, but I found the game to be pretty dull and unimaginative, especially compared to the original Paper Mario games on the N64 and Gamecube. Your results may vary.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Get some Gamecube controllers.

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. Get some classic controllers.

Trauma Team, and all of those Atlus surgery games, are all pretty great if you grew to like them on the DS. There are three of them on here, but I've only played a bit of Trauma Team and I don't know which order they are to be played in.

Ultimate Shooting Collection is a handy way to get a hold of Radergy, Chaos Field and Karous.

Xenoblade Chronicles is also fantastic. The combat is snappy and fast, a la Final Fantasy XII. The music is wonderful. It is at times one of the most gorgeous games I've seen. Definitely get a classic controller to play this with, and grab it fast from Gamestop as it might be quite limited in quantity.

There are a few others I've skimmed over, but I think this is a solid list to get you started off with a good idea. One game to keep in mind once it comes out in February or March or whenever, is the new Rhythm Heaven game on the Wii. You should check out the GBA game if you haven't yet, but otherwise, crazy Wario Ware esque music rhythm game by the Wario Ware dudes. Great times.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:???Did you know???
Major League Baseball 2K12 is set for release on the PS2 this March. That console will never die.
Gun Lord will be release on the Dreamcast on 1/5 (though I think this is unofficial.)
Well, the PS2 is the highest selling console of all time. And did you know that they kept making the original NES/Famicom until 2003? That console seemed to live forever, too.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:51 pm

True dat. I looked up the last NES game made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wario%27s_Woods

The last NES game was released in Japan on February 19, 1994.

The first N64 game in Japan was June 23, 1996.

Seesh.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Riot wrote:gripe gripe gripe gripe
I support this griping!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Chad's friend unironically recommended playing TvC which makes his opinion immediately rendered "awful."

Just play Xenoblade Chronicles it will occupy your time for a good 80 hours. Unless the game takes a huge nose dive in quality in the last third (haven't beat it yet) then it'll be my favorite game of this generation.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 pm

I feel like if you went into other games with the same mindset as Xenoblade you'd enjoy them much more. You go into most games assuming it's bad and look for flaws, but probably heard great things about Xenoblade and that affects your overall opinion a little bit. There have been plenty of great RPGs for instance this generation, where if you went in with an open mind and looked for what is good instead of bad, you'd probably have an enjoy.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Oh my God, Riot, name one good closed-world narrative RPG on 360/PS3/Wii that isn't Lost Odyssey. I'm talking really fucking good games that we'll look back on 10 years later and say, "Man, that game was really good and stood the test of time."

FF13 will be remembered for how bad it was. Blue Dragon was dumb pedo-anime shit. I honestly can't name another game that would fit the genre. Skyrim, Mass Effect, and Fallout are all sand-boxy open-world games that I don't believe you can fairly compare them to more traditional console RPGs.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:01 am

Tales of Vesperia was pretty good. Some other good games I played:

Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Resonance of Fate
Valkyria Chronicles
Nier
Magna Carta 2
The Last Remnant (despite people complaining about "technical issues" which is helped by installing, this game was super addicting)

Those are the JRPGs, not including any western RPG, since apparently that makes them not worth playing I guess? Now I don't think any of them will be gold standards for the next decade like FF7, but that doesn't make things not very good and worth playing through. Now, I've never played Xenoblade, but I'm guessing it's not going to be DRASTICALLY different or better than some of these games.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 am

The only game in that list that has any potential is Nier. Half of those games didn't even get good reviews and we live in an age where even the most mediocre flavor-of-the-month clone of [big budget title] gets a 9/10.
Those are the JRPGs, not including any western RPG, since apparently that makes them not worth playing I guess?
Well no, I don't think you can lump JRPGs and Western RPGs in the same genre since they're so drastically different. I thought we were discussing the closed-world, "let's tell a story" type of RPG since we were on the topic of Xenoblade. I fully expect Skyrim to go down as the pinnacle of the open-world nonlinear RPG of this generation and overshadow all other Western RPGs. There are a shit load of Western RPGs that I like but I don't think they really compare fairly to JRPGs - I'd be like comparing Baldur's Gate to Secret of Mana; they both share similarities and can be called a RPG but they're different enough that they really can't be compared.
Now, I've never played Xenoblade, but I'm guessing it's not going to be DRASTICALLY different or better than some of these games.
It will be. But I openly welcome your attempt to save face and talk about how much Blue Dragon is a better game.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:46 am

All JRPGs are boring.

A Tatsunoko Demon appears!!!
>Attack
1283 DMG
Tatsunoko Demon used animation that took entirely too long.
16 DMG
>Attack
2194 DMG
...4 minutes later...
You beat Tatsunoko demon without difficulty. Get 1/50th of a level and go fight another.

Back to Wii stuff. I played through two stages (took like 2 hours) of Sin and Punishment 2. This game is great. They took the good elements from already awesome games and made a potion of fun.

Star Fox64 for game design + Panzar Dragoon for style + Gunstar Heroes for bosses + House of the Dead 4 for machine gun nonsense. I'm a huge fan of Treasure, but why wouldn't I be!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_(company)

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/06/25/si ... d=14286412

The Wii controls really shine on this one.

Edit: Riot, I hope you can come over some time to give it a shot.