Quake 4

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Quake 4

Post by Original Sin » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:22 pm

Well, I just picked up this game the other day, and thus far I'm pretty pleased with it. There aren't a whole lot of super neat features like FEAR, so I won't go as in depth with this review.
The game runs on a tweaked Doom 3 engine, so taken at face value they look pretty similar. However, the human models actually look much better this time around, and the hands aren't as blocky. So, it's not a carbon copy of doom, but it is similar.
Now, actual gameplay is much more fast paced and intense than Doom. Shit doesn't jump out and scare you very often, but there is some disturbing imagery thrown in for good measure. This game isn't afraid to throw mass amounts of enemies at you, either. So, if you've got an itchy trigger finger, you'll be more pleased with this game than you were with Doom 3.

Any of you Halo fans out there might enjoy this game as well. It has some similar elements. Lots of enemies to put holes in, and you can work with other marines to take the heat off of you from time to time.

The weapons aspect of the game is fun. You can find upgrades for most of the weapons you acquire in the game, making them more effective. Each one has different capabilities, and there's 10 of them in total, so there's plenty to experiment with. And finally, id has made a game with sniper weapons! The machine gun can fire semi-auto with a scope, and the railgun also has finally been given a scope, making it even more deadly than before.
If you were a fan of Quake 2, or shooters in general, go check this game out. It's a direct sequal to Quake 2, so playing that game first might help you grasp the story a tad better, but it's defenitely not necessary.

Overall? Fun game, lots of nasty things to fill with bullets. If you like shooters, check this one out.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Quake 4

Post by Green Tea » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:08 am

Original Sin wrote:Now, actual gameplay is much more fast paced and intense than Doom. Shit doesn't jump out and scare you very often, but there is some disturbing imagery thrown in for good measure. This game isn't afraid to throw mass amounts of enemies at you, either. So, if you've got an itchy trigger finger, you'll be more pleased with this game than you were with Doom 3.
Now with doom 3 the controls didn't seem as responsive as those in Half-Life 2. Do the controls feel like Doom 3? or did they really change that around?
Original Sin wrote: If you were a fan of Quake 2, or shooters in general, go check this game out. It's a direct sequal to Quake 2, so playing that game first might help you grasp the story a tad better, but it's defenitely not necessary.
I am so happy to hear this! Quake 3 was a HUGE letdown to me because it regressed to the deathmatch FPS, not requiring nearly the amount of thought and no real objectives. Are the levels really expansive like the ones in Quake 2?

The thing I loved most about Quake 2 is how things you did on certain levels could effect other levels. I think I'm going to get quake 4 right now.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:30 am

I didn't have any problem with the controls, but then, the controls in Doom 3 didn't give me any trouble either, so I can't really say much about that in particular.
Level size varies quite a bit depending on where you are. Some are pretty good sized, while others are just average. Also, it only loads when you actually change maps, so there isn't the annoying pause to reload the level every five or so minutes like Half Life 2. So, I don't think they're as massive as half life 2, but I'd say it's a good compromise.
Some things you do can effect gameplay, but I haven't come across anything major. I mentioned that you get to work with other marines, and about the weapons upgrades. Well, the upgrades you get are from your fellow marines, and if you accidently off one of them who is supposed to help you out, well...you're shit outta luck for that upgrade, and in some cases, that could really suck. :shock:

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:31 pm

I've always been a big fan of Quake and Doom... The FPS in general.

I got my start of Wolfenstien 3D. (Not return to Castle Wolfenstien)

Quake 2 and 3 are easily two of my favorate games.

I love Quake 3, I'm one of those guys who joins a game, and quickly ass-rapes everybody else, and has twice as many points as everybody else does on the server... and then I get called a Haxxxzor and kicked out, despite the fact I never cheat.... =(

What's the Multiplayer on Quake 4 like?

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:19 am

Actually, I haven't even loaded up multiplayer yet. From what I've heard, it's about the same as the past Quake games. So, I'd say it's probably Quake 2 multiplayer with a facelift and some new weapons....which is fine by me, actually, because I LOVE quake 2 multiplayer.