F.E.A.R

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

F.E.A.R

Post by Original Sin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:16 pm

I just picked this game up the other day...and wow. This game is a pain in the ass! Some of these soldiers make the AI in MGS or Half Life look like childs play. They work in teams, they'll take cover, out flank you, flush you out of hiding...all that good stuff. You have to take full advantage of the games perks to take these guys out if you're up against more than a hand full of them at once.

Features!

For one, basic character movement gets a bit of an upgrade. The controls are the same as most modern FPS games, except you now have the option to use the Q/E keys to lean out around corners without actually moving your characters position. Releasing the key quickly ducks you back into safety..this is very useful for firefights, because the soldiers seldom miss their target if you're out in the open, even on the easiest difficulty level.

Melee- The right mouse button is now a melee button. If you're standing still, tapping it will cause you to smack the enemy with your gun. If you run and jump at an enemy, you'll do a wicked jump kick. There are multiple different combinations you can use, and they're quite effective, and the movements you go through even feel very realistic, especially the jump kick.

Slow motion! One of the most interesting combat features of the game is the ability to go into slow mo. Everything in the game slows down, but you remain just slightly faster than your oponents, allowing you to avoid incoming bullets, or take shots at critical areas. This feature is designed to portray your characters hightened relfexes.
There is a meter at the bottom of the screen that slowly drains when you activate slowmo, and then restores when you turn it off. This is a very handy feature, but it's a little tricky to get used to.

The game has a very tense, eerie atmosphere. I'll admit, it's not as scary as I anticpated, but it does have subtle ways of getting under your skin. There are ghosts, wierd and disturbing visions, things of that nature. It doesn't really use the jump out and scare you tactics, ala Doom 3, but it does maintain a very unnerving atmosphere at times.

If you're a fan of FPS games, and are relatively good at them, FEAR might be worth picking up. It's not a game for a beginner, because it is relatively difficult, but I enjoy it. Fans of half life or counter strike, and other tactical shooting games may enjoy this especially.

Graphics are good, and there are many, many options you can change to make the game play more comfortably on your system. The very basic grahpics are just a hair nicer than the original half-life, but can be turned up very drastically. I'm at about medium level, on low resolution to keep it running smooth, so I'm not sure what the max grahpic output even looks like. However, it is quite pretty even at a moderate setting.

So, any of you FPS buffs out there....go check this out.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:08 pm

well after reading this and seeing somma the screens eslewhere I do belive ill get this sometime....indeed

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:30 pm

i'd go check that game out if my PC didn't crap on me. the only thing i have now is my laptop (hardly suitable for ANY game other than PUI PC or StepMania).
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:38 pm

geez sin nice. I preordered tghe gamer and got it last tuesday and beat it a couple days ago. NICE GAME. kicks unreal 4'es ass. Better than doom 3 also. I think it wil lset a new standard for fpses becouse farcry and such left me dissapointed. I never would have thought of writing that much on it lol so props sin!

EDIT: sorry for my typing i just rode 9 miles in 40 degree weather with no gloves.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:43 pm

wow potter this is the first game in how long youve obtained legally? o.-

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:18 pm

valve forces you to :wink:
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:24 pm

seveneleven wrote:wow potter this is the first game in how long youve obtained legally? o.-
? wtf? I dont think ive ever gotten a game illegally except for richard burns rally, and thats only because you cant buy it in the us.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Jinchuu
Standard
Standard

Post by Jinchuu » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:25 am

I tried the demo and liked it, even though my sad, sad pc is such a stinking pile of crap it couldn't break 20fps :( Hence I'll have to wait on getting the full version.

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:37 pm

Amazing game.
That's pretty much all you need to say about it.
Gameplay is awesome, and Dual Pistols rule all.
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:02 am

eleventy billioned. i fucking love this game.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:30 pm

Uber BUMP... What are the Min. Rec. Specs. for it?

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:35 pm

seveneleven wrote:Uber BUMP... What are the Min. Rec. Specs. for it?
you'd want to play this at its maxx dude.
Team KIMO represent!

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:53 am

seveneleven wrote:Uber BUMP... What are the Min. Rec. Specs. for it?
Ok, the game has a massive amount of options you can tweak with to make it run optimally on your computer. At the basic level, it looks kinda like the original half life...not exactly stellar. However, you can boost many different areas of the graphics to fit your needs.
I tossed the box out a while back, so I couldn't tell ya all the specs for it, though. If you've got a semi-modern PC, it'll probably run. How pretty it looks, however, is up to you. I run it at about mid-range, on a lower resolution..sadly, the higher resolution makes it laggy on my system, and it hinders game play...a lot. So, I have to compromise.
This isn't a game where you can live with a bit of lag...if you hesitate, you WILL die. This is by far the hardest FPS I've ever played.