STARCRAFT

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: STARCRAFT

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:31 am

Played a few games yesterday and I am god damn atrocious at this game. I have no idea what to build when I scout my opponent's base

Like shit... I play Terran pretty much exclusively, and whenever I play a Protoss I'm pretty much lost on what to do in the early game. Let's say I scout and find the guy building two gateways and is probably going to zealot rush me. What the eff do I do? Marines pretty much get destroyed without medics and I can't get vultures out nearly as fast as he can get zealots out. I can prevent him from really doing too much if I can hold him at my base's chokepoint but it really puts a dent on my ability to expand while he has free reign to do whatever until I can get tanks.

I can try to turtle and tech up but more often than not they'll spot this, expand, and crush me with the better economy.

Bleh, Mike, help me with early game TvP please.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:39 am

TvP is one of the hardest matchups to learn.

You'll want to block your chock with 2 depots and a barracks until you can get tanks/vult. You'll have to figure out how to block at each spot on python - just remember the depot always goes above the barracks. The 8 o'clock position is the hardest one to block at - I use a factory as part of my block there.

And yeah, get good with vultures ^.^
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Merk

Post by Merk » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Played about 5 or so games yesterday and actually fared pretty well against toss. Vultures and great mine placement destroys toss and forces them to get observers or backdoor my main.

Now I'm getting destroyed by Zerg... ughhhhhhhhh

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:46 am

What are you dying to? The standard start is terran goes 2 rax mnm and zerg goes expand/sunken/tech to muta or lurker. If he doesn't make enough sunken your mnm can kill him.

What I like to do is just make enough mnm to look scary and stand outside his base so he makes a lot of sunken, but the whole time i'm actually getting a dropship as fast as possible. Then I transfer all the mnm to his main with the dropship and kill that and his sunkens look pretty dumb at his expansion.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Been trying to play as much as I can which isn't much between job hunting and playing cards, but I've done fairly well for the small sample size of games that I've played. I'm really surprised seemingly how much luck plays into some matches. The AI pathing is retarded and big units will run into each other, never go where you want them to, and fail to path around objects. I suppose the AI accounts for why a pro is never more than a 60/40 favorite in a match - but it does make games more exciting I suppose for spectators.

And I'm also surprised by the emphasis on macro in this game instead of micro. While they're both important, macro and strategy seem to be a more deciding factor on a match than how much someone can click in a battle. I think I have a much better appreciation for professional matches now that I've played on iCCup. It's certainly a welcome change from Frozen Throne.

yaaaaay Starcraft

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:36 am

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Um, United Airlines and Lufthansa actually serve food MUCH WORSE than that. (Note: I was on flights for both airlines recently.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:12 pm

LOL KOREAN AIR ._.

Yea Merk, there's this UMS I've been playing lately called Macro/Micro. It takes teams of two. One person gets all the probes and makes guys, but as soon as army units pop out they get controlled by the teammate. It's pretty fun ^_^
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:57 pm

That sounds fun maybe if I get that job (interview tomorrow) then we can play it together as co-workers.

Otherwise we might have to play it as internet acquaintances.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Holy shit Starcraft II beta is officially coming out this month. Officially. It is going to happen. The long wait is over. Blizzard has been fucking saying for nearly EIGHT months that SC2 beta is nearing release. They've been crying wolf for so fucking long that people who've been following the beta news have grown cynical and have probably lost a part of their soul.

They had their quarterly stock holder's conference call today and it was announced that the SC2 beta will have a February release. Two weeks. Jesus Christ. You know that screen cap of Jesse Jackson crying when Obama did his inaugural presidential parade after getting elected? That is totally me right now. I am the oppressed negro who is finally living the dream.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 pm

"That is totally me right now. I am the oppressed negro who is finally living the dream."

Wooooooooooooooooow. That is impressively offensive.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Chad do you not understand that this is Starcraft II beta we're talking about? This is the sequel to the game you famously suck at. Blizzard is giving you a wonderful opportunity to relive sucking.
Last edited by Merk on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

I give him that opportunity every time he spends the night at my apartment.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 pm

omgomgomgomgogmg god dammit I knew I would be away from a puter when beta dropped.

Fucking Hobby Lobby