I'm gonna make a thread for Reflec Beat!

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

LikeableRodent

I'm gonna make a thread for Reflec Beat!

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:57 am

This is said thread for Reflec Beat!

I played it for the first time a month or two ago; it's pretty much musical electronic air hockey.

Here, you can look at the OFFICIAL WEBSITE!
http://www.konami.jp/bemani/reflecbeat/

REVIEW STARTS HERE
---
Good point: It's a NEW Bemani game
Gooder point: It has a Daft Punk song (One More Time)
Bad point: I'd rather play the now-13-year-old didder
Badder point: By its nature it's a competitive game, but if you have no friends (like me), it's lame playing the CPU over and over (I can't have more than a single sentence for each point, so I'm going to put this in parentheses and behind a colon: There's online matchmaking, but you have piss odds of finding someone playing the same song/difficulty as you (more parentheses: It's the same problem Jubeat has.).).
---
END OF REVIEW

Fluffyumpkins

Re: I'm gonna make a thread for Reflec Beat!

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 am

I've wanted to try it for a while now.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:42 am

I didn't see any of these when I was out there last (I don't think it had quite been released yet). Your description of "musical air hockey" makes me think of Flash Beats (Sega, 1999) which I described in much the same way.

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 am

This just came out on the iOS so I downloaded it. It's quite a fun game, but don't know how attached I'll get just yet. They have three good songs as the free pack you get when you download it (Wuv U, Elisha, & Not Eternity). Will have to play more tonight and let you know.

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 pm

After some more trying out the game, I agree with LikeableRodent that it would be more fun to play against someone instead of the computer. It has a setting to change the computer from 1 (Chad wuss level) to 10 (Daniel OMG! I'm good! level), something I haven't adjusted yet.

I do like the customization of the game on the iPad. You have several options of what to change the tap noise, which can be comical hearing katana slices when you hit the notes, and change the background & BGM. There are some unlockable stuff, but I'd probably have to play the three free songs to death to get them.

Difficulty wise for the free three songs, you have easy Not Eternity song that's fun, and an easy chart for Elisha & Wuv U before the inevitable butt hurt you'll get from their Normal and Hard charts. The problem was that, during the song, the lack of a life bar of any sort didn't really make me push to get really good, as I just took a casual approach to playing. That's when you need that second player to join you. I haven't pushed the difficulty of the CPU, so maybe they'll destroy me if I do hard stuff. On the other hand, it's really hard to find a moment during the song to see how you're doing.

I'm probably going to download one of the two songpacks for some more variety, and I hope to find someone to play this with (you can play two player, but not online netplay). It's a fun time killer.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm

I played it a few times while I was in Korea last year. It didn't really capture my interest--at least not enough that I picked it over other available options after trying it a few times. I don't think I really figured out the online matching system at all, so I think I was just playing against the CPU. I can see how it might really open up the game playing against a human opponent. I know that's when Flash Beats gets really good. But I do prefer to have my opponent right across from me. It really adds to the experience having him/her right there with me.

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Ho wrote: But I do prefer to have my opponent right across from me. It really adds to the experience having him/her right there with me.
For when you win and get the full pleasure of gloating in their face :)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

It doesn't work so well for Flash Beats, but I also enjoy giving a good in-game elbow. ;)