jubeat

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5630
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:26 am
Location: The Ho-House

Re: jubeat

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 am

Korea does not agree that the Earth is round, so the truck fell off the edge.













(I may or may not be talking about North Korea.)
Image

User avatar
Fluffyumpkins
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6574
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Da Butt Hut
Contact:

Re: jubeat

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 am

LikeableRodent wrote:
chocobojoe wrote:Isn't jubeat just kinda like whack-a-mole?
You could say that it's a high-tech version of whack-a-mole that plays music and has you hit moles in specific patterns to the beat of said music.
This is a very accurate description. To me, it feels very different from just about every other Bemani game. Without lanes showing when to hit what, the game really tests your reflexes.

I think it might have been better keysounded, but I am still teh noobor and haven't really played enough to say for sure.
Music is a special thing because everyone is wrong on everything but it all works out in the end and we all get high as shit.
Image

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: jubeat

Post by ImuyumI » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 am

So, have you gotten enough time to play around with it a bit? Just curious what your thoughts on the game were.

User avatar
Fluffyumpkins
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6574
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Da Butt Hut
Contact:

Re: jubeat

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 pm

ImuyumI wrote:So, have you gotten enough time to play around with it a bit? Just curious what your thoughts on the game were.
If you're talking to me, I've still only played it the one time. I can't knit shit.
Music is a special thing because everyone is wrong on everything but it all works out in the end and we all get high as shit.
Image

User avatar
Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 2916
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Re: jubeat

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 pm

I will say that it is pretty smooth with the jazzy music and smooth announcer. Definitely a different feel from other Bemani games.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!
Merk wrote:Potter if Citizens United actually gets overturned and not replaced by some equally awful legislation I will suck your dick and take a bunch of selfie snaps whilst doing so.

User avatar
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5630
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:26 am
Location: The Ho-House

Re: jubeat

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 am

As I experienced when I played in Japan, the learning curve is such that it's pretty easy to continue getting incrementally better. The game has both stayed fun and challenging...which can be difficult to accomplish in a music game. Technika, by comparison stopped being fun for a while and was frustratingly difficult. Then I was able to get over the hump and start improving again and it became fun again.

Unfortunately, jubeat has been out of commission for about the last week while I've been preparing to replace some parts in an effort to make it play a little better. A bunch of screws were missing or stripped when I received the machine. I have replacements now, but I haven't had a chance to put them in.
Image

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: jubeat

Post by ImuyumI » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 am

Yeah, it seems fun enough to get progressively better. Been playing the demo stuff on Jukebeat and I want to play some more. $4 for four songs just seems a bit much comparing that to DJ Max's $2 for 4-5 songs on DJ Max Ray, which seems like a nicer use of money.

Still, since I'm a rhythm whore, I'll sure I'll be spending a bit of money on Jukebeat because it is that fun. Some of the music packs are very lol-able.

User avatar
Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Posts: 8103
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:33 am
Location: Bloomington / Ft. Wayne
Contact:

Re: jubeat

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 am

Played the jukeBeat demo yesterday on a whim, $4 for $4 songs is a little ridiculous but I've never been a fan of microtransactions so I'm biased.

This game is hard to play and I don't mean that in the "lol I'm just starting out on a rhythm game and my eye to hand coordination is shitty and I haven't learned how to read this shit yet" way. Maybe it's a lot different in the arcade but I found myself just flat out unable to see the next boxes I was supposed to hit because my fat retard wrists / forearms were in the way and it felt needlessly frustrating. I think this game would benefit a lot by having a separate screen that you can look at to see which boxes you are supposed to hit instead of having the view and play screens be one in the same. See below diagram:

Image
Image

User avatar
Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 2916
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Re: jubeat

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:38 am

Merk wrote:Played the jukeBeat demo yesterday on a whim, $4 for $4 songs is a little ridiculous but I've never been a fan of microtransactions so I'm biased.

This game is hard to play and I don't mean that in the "lol I'm just starting out on a rhythm game and my eye to hand coordination is shitty and I haven't learned how to read this shit yet" way. Maybe it's a lot different in the arcade but I found myself just flat out unable to see the next boxes I was supposed to hit because my fat retard wrists / forearms were in the way and it felt needlessly frustrating. I think this game would benefit a lot by having a separate screen that you can look at to see which boxes you are supposed to hit instead of having the view and play screens be one in the same. See below diagram:

Image
A part of this may very well be the smaller screen on the iPad which does take getting used to. What does help though is looking at how some hand movements should be handled. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQzB65 ... re=related is a good example of a skilled player's view)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!
Merk wrote:Potter if Citizens United actually gets overturned and not replaced by some equally awful legislation I will suck your dick and take a bunch of selfie snaps whilst doing so.

User avatar
WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:04 am
Location: North of Indy
Contact:

Re: jubeat

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:30 am

It's definitely easier on a machine than on the iPad. More surface area, and the physical feedback of the buttons seems to help too.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

User avatar
Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 2916
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Re: jubeat

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:17 am

WhiteDragon wrote:It's definitely easier on a machine than on the iPad. More surface area, and the physical feedback of the buttons seems to help too.
Definitely agree on that one. At the same time though the iPad version is far better than what I expected.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!
Merk wrote:Potter if Citizens United actually gets overturned and not replaced by some equally awful legislation I will suck your dick and take a bunch of selfie snaps whilst doing so.

Post Reply