Guitar Hero for PC/MAC available, but unplayable!

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Guitar Hero for PC/MAC available, but unplayable!

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:10 pm

Ok, recently PCs and MACs have been given their own release of GH3. However, there is something that I should mention that is guaranteed to piss off alot of people.

In order to be able to play the game, you are gonna need about the same specs as what is being used for UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3! No, I'm not fucking joking around on this and that's what makes this one of the worst ports I have ever seen. The game has never been hardcore when it comes to graphics so there is absolutely no excuse for this to be happening. This should be avoided like the plague and I said this for a very good reason. If the PStwo can run the game solid at 480p, then there is no fucking excuse for having speed issues on just about any dualcore PC with a decent videocard.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:16 pm

Yeah, I looked at the box today, and I was like WHAT THE FUCK.....I would much rather buy a 500$ ps3 to play it rather than waste money upgrading and buying this.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:11 pm

New PC games have ridiculous requirements. What's up with that?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:28 pm

Most computers built within the last 3-4 years can play new stuff (aside from Crysis). I doubt it's as bad as you guys are making it out to be. What are the specs? I bet most relatively recent computers would play it fine. And you can always turn down graphics and stuff to make it run faster. Sure games will lag if everything is turned up all the way, but the nice thing about PC games is it can look a lot better than consoles if your PC is good, or it can run on older machines with graphics turned down.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:42 pm

I think what it comes down to is that, visually, Guitar Hero is certainly no more complicated than the original Unreal Tournament. Now, I can somewhat forgive perhaps using some more modern capabilities in an effort to speed design time, but UT ran on my 300MHz PII using SOFTWARE RENDERING (that's right folks, I didn't have my Voodoo 3 yet!).

I ran OMF2097 and Stargunner on a 50MHz 486 with 12MB of RAM. There's NO REASON you couldn't do the same with Guitar Hero if you really, really wanted to. If this doesn't run acceptably on a 1GHz machine with integrated graphics, then that's just plain wrong.

Orignally Guitar Freaks ran on a Playstation. Modern machines can emulate a Playstation in real time. I don't mean run a port of the game, I mean emulate the whole damn thing. There's NO REASON Guitar Hero should require more horsepower.

I almost wonder if they aren't just running the PS2 game in some sort of emulator. Sad as it is, I wouldn't put it past modern game publishers.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 pm

System requirements

Holy shit! :shock:

I can play Oblivion at medium settings just fine, but I can't play fucking Guitar Hero III?! There is something seriously messed up with that.

They recommend that you have a Geforce 8800 GT level card. What the hell?

I think I have to go with MonMotha's theory of them simply emulating the PS2 game.

Oh, and Intel integrated chipsets aren't supported at all. Nice. :roll:
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:15 pm

The only reason to be interested in the PC version in my opinion is because it will presumably come with a good PC-based guitar controller, for making GH simulation programs that don't require being ported to the PS2. We don't need their port; we'll make our own!
Well, actually someone already has, but it's not very good yet.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Well it does look like the reccomended multiplayer specs are pretty high, the 8800gt is a real good card.

I assume it does get laggy on songs like the new Dragonforce thing, especially on multiplayer. I'm sure there is somewhat of a justification on the specs somewhere. But yes, it does seem a bit high.

Edit- found some reasons:

-It uses real-time rendering for the character/crowd.
-It's a port of the Xbox360 version, which was optimized for the graphics in that, thus older cards have trouble adapting.

You have to remember the recommended specs are usually to play at high quality. If you turn off the crowd, and other unnecessary stuff like that I'm sure the game will run a LOT better.

P.S. #2... there's a difference with stuff like UT3 and this though. The recommended specs might be similar, but there's a difference between playing UT3 with some slowdown and GT3. Games like GH NEED everything to smooth for the gameplay to work without lagging on notes. It will have to have a bit of a buffer recommended spec, higher than is required to guarantee that it will be totally smooth.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:06 am

I'm sorry, but if my 486 could render OMF2097 in real time, I don't think they need they are asking for to render some crowd stuff. This reeks of SimCity 4, a great idea that was horribly horribly coded (the game STILL has slowdown issues on modern hardware, despite being like 5 years old).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:45 am

MonMotha wrote:This reeks of Beastman AIDS
Corrected! :lol:
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:00 pm

Man OMF was a good game.