GH to GF

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

GH to GF

Post by lgolem » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:22 am

So from my understanding, you cannot play Guitar Freaks with a Guitar Hero controller. Is there like a way to alter the Guitar Hero controller to work for guitar freaks? either by moving things around on the inside. Or does the newest GF game support GH controllers? I was told that I had to buy a new GF controller which the cheapest I saw was on ebay for 90$ used, and I am thinking there has to be a cheaper way.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:22 am

Err I'm pretty sure we played GF with a GH controller.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 am

make your own with one of those $10 electronic guitars at Dollar General and a cheap PS1 controller

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:14 am

I have most of a design for a playstation button remapper laying around. I can finish it, but, as with all custom hardware stuff, it'll cost more than just buying a guitar freaks controller, at least in single quantity.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:07 pm

As MonMotha said it can be done, but I don't know how worthwhile it would be in the long run.

For those with the money to get it though, Play Asia has a Guitar Freaks ASC for $250. The other thing I would check for is to see if you can custom map the buttons in the home releases.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Riot wrote:Err I'm pretty sure we played GF with a GH controller.
I was about to say I thought Fluffy once said that it was possible

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:02 pm

It is sorta. I'll wait for Merk to chime in.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:32 pm

You can but it's kind of jank.

I think on GF/DM V2 and up you can remap the buttons in the game (just go to options) so that the GH frets will match the GF frets.

The catch is that the left analog stick is always being pointed to the left on a GH controller for whatever reason. Therefore, whenever you're at the song select screen and you have a GH controller plugged in you'll be constantly moving through the song wheel. You can't turn this off and obviously this makes picking songs pretty difficult!

The only fix for this I can think of is cut the wire that controls the left analog stick on a GH controller. You'll be out of a Guitar Hero controller by doing this though, so if you like GH then don't do this.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Might be risky but you could probably install a switch on the controller to switch that wire on or off

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:04 pm

The real question here is why you'd want to risk ruining a perfectly good GH controller to play a game that is inferior in almost every way.

*hides in the corner and waits for the inevitable*

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:31 pm

malictus wrote:The real question here is why you'd want to risk ruining a perfectly good GH controller to play a game that is inferior in almost every way.

*hides in the corner and waits for the inevitable*
Both games have ups and downs honestly. Guitar Hero has much better mechanics and a better learning curve for sure.
Guitar Freak has... Verticle scrolling instead of that reverse star wars opening perspective scroll. That gets really hard on the eyes after a while. It has a better variety of songs. And most importantly: consistant song length. Guitar Hero gets boring because every song is full length. And then they put crap like Freebird on there...what the heck =/
Both are pretty solid games overall. I wouldn't call either inferior.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:34 am

For me, the only plus of GF is the tighter timing window. In all other ways, I find GH better, especially in the way the play mechanics more closely resemble playing a real guitar (more frets, hammer-ons and pul-offs, and charts that follow the actual guitar line more closely). The longer songs don't bother me (freebird notwithstanding!); I appreciate the fact that they use complete songs rather than chopped up edits. And unlike most people on indyDDR, I really get into classic rock and metal. So that automatically biases me towards GH.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:42 am

Wow...an actual discussion!

Good facts, well identified opinions, cordial attitudes. And there isn't a single shade of the most tired argument that one game is better than another simply because it isn't the other. Kudos to you both!

I definitely agree that each has its positives and negatives and I can totally understand why people would prefer one over the other depending on your personal preferences.

I agree that Guitar Hero definitely seems to do a better job at being a simulator (in as much that fret buttons and a string toggle can simulate playing a guitar) with its game mechanics whereas Guitar Freaks is definitely much more of a game with its more competitive timing and insanely challenging charts.

I'm not sure how, but Konami seems to make 3-button GF charts that are much more difficult than 5-button GH charts...while looking nothing like actually playing guitar and sounding nothing like a legitimate guitar part, of course! ;) Although I can certainly foresee this evening out as GH continues to evolve as a game. After all, GH is gearing up for III while GF is at V4 (the equivalent of 15?).

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:08 am

Definitely, I can hardly wait for subsequent versions of Guitar Hero just to see what they come up with. Like I said, the play mechanics is probably the winning factor for it. GF gets annoyingly hard from what I've played.

I'm trying to wait for GH 80's to go down in price before I buy it. $50 seems a little steep.

Haha I know you like classic rock, Jim. I'm not a big fan of it, but I do like metal, also. The metal stuff gets pretty tough though, especially for a noob like me that sucks at the game :D I'd just like to see more variety in the songs. They need more pop, definitely some ska, and bluegrass would be interesting (I'd like to see some banjo parts lol)

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:50 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:I'm trying to wait for GH 80's to go down in price before I buy it. $50 seems a little steep.
DEFINITELY NOT worth $50.

$20 fits it right.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."