Daigassou! Band Brothers/Jam With the Band (Nintendo DS)

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

xK1
Standard
Standard

Daigassou! Band Brothers/Jam With the Band (Nintendo DS)

Post by xK1 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:12 pm

I bought a Nintendo DS shortly after it came out, and so far my only complaint is that there aren't very many games out for it right now. Thus, I ended up importing Daigossou! Band Brothers (coming at some point to America, tentatively named "Jam With the Band").

There are three difficulty levels, Beginner, Amateur, and Pro. You have to start on Beginner and unlock the other two difficulties, which if you have any experience with music/rythem games shouldn't take very long at all.

On beginner mode, there are simply two different buttons to press, either a note will either be on the direction pad, or the ABXY buttons. It doesn't matter which one you press, just as long as the timing is right.

On amateur, things get slightly more complicated, now you have to diferentiate between up, down, left, right, A, B, X, Y, and occasionally the touch screen. For the most part, timing seems to be pretty spot on, except for when you have to press the touch screen, on those occasions you have to press it about 1/16 note earlier than you would expect to. It's weird, but you get used to it.

Pro is when things get tough. Now, not only do you have to worry about each individual direction and button, now L&R are thrown into the mix. You never have to hit L or R on their own, but you use them if you have to change a note's octave (L) or make the pitch sharp or flat (with R). The on-screen cues are easy to follow, but it's easy to get overwhelmed with rapid pitch and octave changes in the middle of 8th note runs.

The best part of the game for me though, is the edit mode. Initially, you can only hum into the game's microphone and it will assign notes based on your pitch, but once you unlock Pro mode you can make new songs from scratch. It's not Reason or Digital Performer, but for a Game Boy game it is suprisingly robust.

Here's a song I whipped together in a couple hours. (Right click, save as please). I still need to clean up some of the notes and probably add another part to flesh out some of the chords (I'm only using 6 of the available 8 slots for instruments at the moment), but I think it turned out ok. My next attempt will be better (and more original).

Questions, comments, anyone else have this?

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:25 pm

I have played this game with him. I know of its greatness (to some extent). It has Melissa and Ready Steady Go from Full Metal Alchemist, so it's automatically good just with that in mind. But it's also incredibly fun and let's you make songs like Neil has there with Law and Order's theme song. I mean, c'mon... what about this game isn't awesome?

That being said... I don't own it sadly, and I wish I did. ;_; I'm a jealous, jealous man.

sonykid753
Standard
Standard

Post by sonykid753 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:42 pm

sounds pretty cool... if i had a DS i would by it but.........sadly.......i dont
AAA's - 1
1. kind lady

SDG's - 17
17. sexy planet oni - 5
16. its raining men - 8
15. butterfly - 5

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:02 pm

Moved to Other Bemani and Music/Rhythm Games.