GH: The Third Coming

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:58 pm

danc1005 wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:The Ultramix Series has actually done a much better job than Extreme, Extreme 2, Supernova, ect.

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic. Ultramix games (besides maybe 1) is home to some of the worst, off-synch, poorly-made songs and stepfiles I've ever seen.
CS sucks in general, but Ultramix is the cream of the crap.
No way. Ultramix 2 was incredible. The licenes were great, and the stepcharts were very well done.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:45 pm

seveneleven wrote:
malictus wrote:...although I am puzzled by Devil Went Down To Georgia...
well if they are still in like with Primus im assuming that they are using their cover of it.
They usually use the more famous cover of a song.

Van Halen > The Bangles with "You Really Got Me"

Then again, they did mess up with Misirlou completely. The GH version sounds NOTHING like the real version from Pulp Fiction.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Effect.
Standard
Standard

Post by Effect. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:16 am

Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote:
Amp Divorax wrote:Final Encore: The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Are you freaking kidding me?

This isn't "Fiddle Hero."
Sorry Jeff... But This is not "Fiddle Hero" to me.... Yeah I know its not an actual video but the music itself stands as a testament to this game.
Ho wrote:I was definitely going for fake asian...or Twinkie, if you prefer.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:31 am

Effect. wrote:Sorry Jeff... But This is not "Fiddle Hero" to me.... Yeah I know its not an actual video but the music itself stands as a testament to this game.
I have seen the full video, but maybe it's been removed from YouTube?? You challenge Satan in the final 'boss' battle of the game, and thus the choice of song. Wow...

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 am

played the hell out of gh3 yesterday...quite awesome. it's a little more strict in timing in comparison to gh2 but you get used to it. the songs seem much more difficult which is a nice welcome change.

also :oops: cherub rock :oops:

the battles are pretty cool too..i just finished the second one and called it a day yesterday. can't wait to play when i get home!
insert code compile execute return

Effect.
Standard
Standard

Post by Effect. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 pm

sam wrote:played the hell out of gh3 yesterday...quite awesome. it's a little more strict in timing in comparison to gh2 but you get used to it. the songs seem much more difficult which is a nice welcome change.

the battles are pretty cool too..i just finished the second one and called it a day yesterday. can't wait to play when i get home!
Are you playing a demo of it? Because its not to be released until the 28th... :roll:
Ho wrote:I was definitely going for fake asian...or Twinkie, if you prefer.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:33 am

Effect. wrote:
sam wrote:played the hell out of gh3 yesterday...quite awesome. it's a little more strict in timing in comparison to gh2 but you get used to it. the songs seem much more difficult which is a nice welcome change.

Are you playing a demo of it? Because its not to be released until the 28th... :roll:
Some 12-year old punk I was playing two months ago said that "he already had GH3 imported from Japan for XBOX 360, and had already beaten every song on the game." He also said Stairway to Heaven was on there.

..pants on fire.

I'm not denying you played it, Sam, but the other guy's story sounds too-farfetched.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Effect. wrote:

it was leaked for ps2

although i am buying it for wii for online play so don't get all high & mighty on me

if you don't believe me just search demonoid
insert code compile execute return

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:45 pm

sam wrote:although i am buying it for wii for online play so don't get all high & mighty on me

if you don't believe me just search demonoid
Sam, I heard the wii version may not have online play, due to bugs or something. But that was a while ago.

I have a wii but I'm buying the PS2 version so I can hack it :evil:

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:42 pm

yeah, stay away from the song by Dragonforce- Through the Fire and the Flames on Expert, It seems virtually impossible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VmWYK7Y4hw

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:49 pm

Well, I went and bought the Wii version late Saturday night just after midnight - yay for Bloomington's Wal-Mart being open 24 hours a day! There were probably over 100 people there waiting, which surprised me a bit. I knew the series was getting popular, but DAMN.

So, my overall impression is that this is a seriously AWESOME game which adds enough new features to make it a worthwhile purchase for any GH fan. Details below:

SONGS
Another selection of very good songs, although the series continues is emphasis on metal and classic rock, to the virtual exclusion of everything else. What's really great about the new songs is that many of them use the original master tracks, rather than crappy cover versions. So we get the original songs by groups such as Metallica and Guns N Roses, where the vocals would be very hard to duplicate.

BATTLE MODE
Gameplay is essentially the same as in previous versions, but Battle Mode is brand new. Here, instead of star power you earn power-ups, which you can send to your opponent at the appropriate time to mess them up (think DDR 4th mix battle mode). You can do things like 'break' a string (forcing your opponent to push that fret repeatedly), or cause the notes to flicker, and many other things. The great thing about the power-ups is that you can save them up and use them at an appropriate time, which adds a strategic element that goes beyond just hitting all the notes. You can battle against opponents (both online and non-online), or against the computer at certain preset points within Career mode.

GRAPHICS
The graphics are pretty disappointing, actually. The non-guitar playing band members have many more details than before, but their movements actually look more robotic than ever. And the male lead singer looks absolutely ridiculous. The new venues are OK, but they are lacking the sense of humor that the venues in GH2 had. But no one is really playing this game because of the graphics anyway.

WII GUITAR
The wii guitar is absolutely perfect. The Wii remote plugs into the guitar, and fits inside it while you play. Therefore, the guitar is wireless, but doesn't need its own power supply. The frets are improved from previous versions as well. Everything works perfectly, which is something I've never seen in a wireless GH controller before.

ONLINE PLAY
Assuming you don't buy the PS2 version, you can connect to the net and play online against friends or strangers. I've only tried this feature a few times, but so far it seems easy and a lot of fun. The new website (at guitarhero.com), which is linked to your personal online account, isn't so great though. It's quite confusing, and it still seems to have a few bugs in it. Once the bugs are worked out, though, it looks promising.

That's about it; overall it's a great new addition to the series, but I don't suspect that it is different enough to bring in any new fans to the game (unlike Rock Band, which will be an entirely new beast).

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:30 pm

I checked it out at walmart last night in their display thingy. They had the xbox 360 version set up. Oh lawd the controller was heavy, must have weighed 4 pounds, and most of the weight was down near the d-pad/whammy bar area.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:58 pm

While I am not a fan of the GH series, I am very surprised at how many original recordings they got this time around. The biggest oddity though had to be that Living Colour re-recorded Cult of Personality just for the game. (Of note being an inclusion of a new guitar solo so I'm gonna have to find a CD quality version of CoP2007.)

Now onto some news bits. First off for those who got the game from Wal-Mart with controller, be warned that it may be the old GH2 controllers and not the new version. Second is that the USB hub used for the 360's wireless controllers requires External Power which has to be rather annoying. (I don't see why people want wireless guitars so bad cause real guitars are wired up to systems.) Finally, the Wii version's audio is messed up so it only outputs Mono! Setting it to stereo outputs two mono channels and Dolby Pro Logic II is not getting enabled properly so until this is fixed I have to suggest that people avoid the Wii version.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:44 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:Finally, the Wii version's audio is messed up so it only outputs Mono! Setting it to stereo outputs two mono channels and Dolby Pro Logic II is not getting enabled properly so until this is fixed I have to suggest that people avoid the Wii version.
Interesting. I didn't notice because I'm using a mono TV to play. Thanks for the tip!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 am

Well, I'm trading my Wii version in tomorrow :cry: . It has started making a weird grinding noise when I put the disc in, doesn't always boot up correctly, and lately it has started skipping in the middle of songs. Yuck. I'm just trading in for another copy of the Wii version, in the HOPES that it is just a bad disc....