Rock Band

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:57 pm

I am half tempted to pick the Rock Band Bundle for the ps3, it would be fun to play multiplayer, it is just it is a huge like 200$ investment.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Malictus as what I played was pretty pitiful compared to Session Mode on GF/DM.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:50 am

Guys you might wanna wait a while on Rock Band. The strum bar on the guitar breaks very easily (I've heard after 5 hours of casual play) and every store has a strict NO RETURN policy.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:24 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:Guys you might wanna wait a while on Rock Band. The strum bar on the guitar breaks very easily (I've heard after 5 hours of casual play) and every store has a strict NO RETURN policy.
rofl
Team KIMO represent!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:02 am

Actually, there are alot of people having this issue to the point of Bemanistyle actually mentioning it on the front page so this is a pretty big deal.

Personally, due to immense hatred of Domestic Rhythm Games I have to consider this the act of a god who loves Bemani and if anything would like to see more overrated domestic games get struck down for their blastphemy! (J/K!)
Memorable 2016 quotes:

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:49 pm

That sucks. I really did have high hopes for Rock Band. Maybe they'll fix the hardware issues, and then decide to make a Wii version :D

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:41 pm

Now I hear the man(ufacturer) is sending out replacements ASAP because people are PISSED

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:57 pm

what about the drum set? really, i don't care about the guitar breaking...it's the drums that I would care about......is anybody even talking about that..?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:02 pm

From the demo units I've played, I'm unimpressed. They aren't very responsive, and the setup (and charts!) doesn't mimic a drum kit well at all. Definitely passing on this one.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Here's the part of this game that makes me extremely depressed. Most people who have only played domestic rhythm games will buy this up in a heartbeat despite all the flaws that you mentioned Motha.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:26 am

So short response is, it's good for a DOMESTIC music game, but compared to DrumMania, the drum setup sucks, compared to Guitar Hero even, the guitar sucks, and compared to Karaoke Revolution, the singing sucks?

Yeah...not gonna buy it.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:56 pm

i don't know about other tvs but on my friend's plasma the game is way out of sync even when changing the timing options. you still have to play early and the drum kit blows. you can't rest your foot on the pedal without it going off so you have to hold your foot up and it gets tired and did i mention you have to play EARLIER than normal? UGH!

i've played it twice at my friend's house and hated it both times. didn't even bother with the singing but the guitar is so bad that i just stopped playing it entirely
insert code compile execute return

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:55 pm

sam wrote:i don't know about other tvs but on my friend's plasma the game is way out of sync even when changing the timing options. you still have to play early and the drum kit blows. you can't rest your foot on the pedal without it going off so you have to hold your foot up and it gets tired and did i mention you have to play EARLIER than normal? UGH!

i've played it twice at my friend's house and hated it both times. didn't even bother with the singing but the guitar is so bad that i just stopped playing it entirely

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:23 am

I played Rock Band last night with a big group of people (all 4 parts covered every time) for a very long time. Overall, it's not nearly as bad as I had thought based on the comments in this thread and my own experiences with the demo unit. With the unit we played, there were no technical glitches at all, and the equipment all functioned perfectly all night despite heavy abuse.

I'm still not satisfied with the layout of the drums --- this is definitely a big weakness for anyone who knows how real drums are laid out (or has played drummania). But the drum parts do get quite difficult on some songs, even though you have to truly suck at a song to fail it.

Other than that, the gameplay is good, other than the annoying 'overdrive' sections where you just randomly jam on your instrument. The song list is good, and the graphics are better than GH3 I think. I believe a wii version has been announced now, so I'll probably wait and get that.

Oh, and there's nothing intrinsically worse about US rhythm games :P

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:34 am

Next time you play with a group Jim, I want in. I'm completely missing out on the next-gen games. Hell, I don't even have a ps2!
The same blue sky in a strange new world...