Rock Band

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:23 am

Soma wrote:Next time you play with a group Jim, I want in. I'm completely missing out on the next-gen games. Hell, I don't even have a ps2!
You got it!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:55 pm

malictus wrote:
Soma wrote:Next time you play with a group Jim, I want in. I'm completely missing out on the next-gen games. Hell, I don't even have a ps2!
You got it!
I am comtemplating getting it, I have been racking my brain about it for a while and since 95% of my friends play some sort of music game I think it would be great to get together and play it but it is like a 170$-200$ investment.... :roll:

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:22 pm

*snip*
Last edited by elcuebee on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Video looks great! I'm glad to see someone other than myself get creative using non-square mattes. :)

You're also the first person to actually make me think Rock Band might be worth another look. I saw a demo unit at a Best Buy. I got bored and frustrated just trying to navigate the menus, so I never actually played. I walked by a little later to see someone else playing, and it just looked dull. You actually make it look like some fun.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I've never been much of a Guitar Freaks fan and I don't care much for Guitar Hero either. I have nothing against the games, they just personally don't grab my interest. I really liked Drummania at one time, but I got distracted by pop'n music and IIDX and haven't really played DM with any seriousness or regularity since. I do enjoy Karaoke Revolution though.

What I'm trying to say is that any lack of excitement over Rock Band I may have is the result of me just not being all that interested in those particular types of music games. That doesn't mean that I think they're bad, just that I don't have a personal interest. But I do admit that all three types of games together is certainly intriguing. I don't know that I'll ever make the investment, but I'd be happy to "join someone else's band" sometime, should the situation present itself. :)

(And I still would love to Super Session GF/DM/KBM just for the sheer novelty of it!)

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:10 pm

I bought Rock Band, and so far it's been a blast. When playing with 4 people, the game really shines, and it's perfect for parties / jam sessions with friends.

My sole gripe (and it's a big one) is regarding the drum kit. I have played through the game on expert but simply -cannot- beat the songs that require rapid rolls since the drum pad sensitivity is so shoddy. Sux.

Game rocks though. My band's name Tom Selleck's Mustache Friends

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 pm

ShammerS wrote:My sole gripe (and it's a big one) is regarding the drum kit. I have played through the game on expert but simply -cannot- beat the songs that require rapid rolls since the drum pad sensitivity is so shoddy. Sux.
It's not an inherent problem, it's a defect. The original drums that my game shipped with had a problem reading rolls when they were done with any force (i.e. you'd have to barely tap them, which is kind of impossible in the middle of a tough segment). I got them replaced, EA was very eager and quick to replace them, and now they work perfectly. I can hit, say, the 32nds in Train Kept A Rollin' as hard as I want and have the drums read every note.

Overall, I do have to agree with you. The game seems to me to be excellently made, especially as far as a party game goes. The guitar section harbors most of my complaints, as the guitar that ships with the game is simply of inferior quality and overall feel as compared to the Guitar Hero variety, and the guitar single player is incredibly easier than Guitar Hero.
The drums single player seems to have the most depth, and is very fun overall.
Vocals are EXTREMELY difficult, and I can't manage to get 5 stars even on the easiest songs on Expert.
Bass is kind of just thrown on for multiplayer and has no single player, and the charts are kind of boring.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:21 am

This may belong in a brag thread, but a) I don't have one and b) it's not really that great.

But I beat every song on Rock Band's drumkit with at least 4 stars on Expert, and I can only recall trying a song more than once on four separate songs (DoA, Reaper, Freezepop, and another I can't remember.) I have Drummania to thank.

The pad defect was (hopefully temporarily) solved by simply duct-taping the head of the drum to it's base, eliminating the springy bounce in between. The result was a much, much tighter and responsive head that allowed me to smoke all those songs that gave me trouble before.

This game has so much potential is sickening - and I couldn't be more excited. Harmonix is to music games as Blizzard is to RTS - whatever they touch is gold. Here's hoping DLC content prices drop and more peripherals are added..mwahaha.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Wow, good job on those drums scores for the most part. I can't seem to pass Reaper even though I always do well on the tough part in practice mode and I've passed it on Band World Tour mode, and I can't even get close to 4* on DoA. I did manage to get a pretty high 5* on Brainpower though. I like that chart =D

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:46 pm

This thread was resurrected just in time for me to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBpFaPy0w1w

This video was shot at a huge scorehero get-together I had at my house back in December --- some of the best Guitar Hero and Rock Band players from all over the midwest descended on my house for a crazy night of fun. Shammers, you're definitely gonna have to come next time :D

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:15 am

Haha, looks like your place was pretty crammed! I'd love to be a part of something like that.

Tonight I went back and got some scores higher than last night. It seems that I struggle on the songs that have relentless and rapid triple-bass pedal charts. They make my leg just flat ass tired. I suppose it has to do with body positioning, perhaps I'll monkey around with that.

Jim, come by and play sometime! (Hell, anyone for that matter.)

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Played it for the first time the other night. It was pretty fun but god damn do the drums suck. Any sort of 16th note rhythm on a single drum is so unresponsive to the point where it's just frustrating. Foreplay/Long Time on expert for example, it probably has the most fun beginning of any song on the game but the drums are so bad that practically every other 16th note gets dropped.

Harmonix should have done a little more testing with their hardware, it's not like this problem isn't obvious or anything. Drummania's better >: (

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:08 pm

Like I said earlier, it's a defect. When you get a good set of drums, they work excellently. But I will agree that it sucks BALLS when you have a defective set.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:16 pm

Do as I suggested and duct tape that bitch. It was the only way I was able to beat the game without shooting myself. Once the drum pad loses that foamy center it's really quite responsive.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:18 am

super revival, but in the next few days, i'm going to make a gigantic super-faq for this game, including step-by-step picture instructions of how to mod your set to perfection

for now though, google this:

"sock mod scorehero deepbluevibes"

if you've got a QM set (the ones with three holes on the bottom of the yellow and blue drums each), this will work wonders, guarenteed.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Re: Rock Band

Post by letshavetea » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:49 am

I finally bought RockBand last night.

I barely ever played Guitar Hero so to everyone who says the guitar is too easy, I suck at it so it works great for me haha. I can do most songs on Hard on the guitar but... ehh

played for like 12 hours today with my roommate... my right (strumming) hand feels swollen...

damn fun game though (hence the ability to play for 12 hours....)