Para Para Paradise

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Para Para Paradise

Post by CgSquall » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:51 am

I actually enjoyed playing Para Para Paradise, and watching people play it. Personally speaking, I hope they didn't get rid of it, despite rumors I had heard last year before Westside closed down for the winter. Anybody know anything about Westside's PPP that would be of use or something?

Night of Fire rules too by the way.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:47 pm

omfg, WORST GAME EVER. Beatmania is a close 2nd of course.

Rusty Shackleford
Standard
Standard

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:54 am

I really liked playing it too. I played it up in Michigan at pin ball petes. I got like third or something on one of the score boards :D

Karl
Standard
Standard

Post by Karl » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:02 pm

They should get rid of PPP and get something worth a shit. : )

The only good time I had involving PPP was making fun of the people at DBA at 4am in the morning from inside while they stood outside in the rain and practiced their Para Para routines. Why they did this? I don't know. The ringleader of the group was quite the flamboyant one.
The internet is serious buisness, kids.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:17 pm

<3 eurobeat music.

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 pm

Eh, I saw some people play it at Westside and in my opinion it's by far the worst bemani game ever.
Steve Fletcher

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:05 pm

This game was WAAAY too easy.

Seriously, I got a perfect score the first time I played it, and every time I've ever played it. And like, I'm not saying that to promote my awesome ParaPara abilitiess or anything. Acutally, it really sucked. There is no way I should have beenable to instantly master the game with absolutely no practice or anything at all. There's no challenge, it's boring, and there is no replay value what-so-ever.

I will give the game this though: When cute girls play it, and mimic the dancer on the screen... it can be VERY entertaining to watch.

<3 Yume... :D

*Droooooolz*

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:39 am

Score isn't the point of it. The point is to mimic the on-screen dancer (or to know the routine for yourself). Para Para is a form of dance with specific routines that go with each song...like line dancing. The machine can "grade" your performance based on whether your hands and arms are in the places it thinks they should be for each part of the routine. Score is incidental. Simply hitting the arrows isn't hard, but some of the routines are somewhat complicated.

Although the game wasn't all that successful because people (specifically in Japan where this form of dance is, or at least was, popular) would be more apt to Para in a club than to do it on a game and you don't really need the game to perform the dance anyway.

Learning the routines this was can be kind of fun though. Replayability can be had for the same types of people that will join in on the Electric Slide or Macarena at any opportunity. There is a freestyle mode where the arrows are "more difficult" and not intended to grade the routine that goes with the song. These can be somewhat more challenging, but I would agree that anyone looking for a challenge in PPP from simply hitting the arrows is probably playing the wrong game.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:00 am

Grubb wrote:This game was WAAAY too easy.

Seriously, I got a perfect score the first time I played it, and every time I've ever played it. And like, I'm not saying that to promote my awesome ParaPara abilitiess or anything. Acutally, it really sucked. There is no way I should have beenable to instantly master the game with absolutely no practice or anything at all. There's no challenge, it's boring, and there is no replay value what-so-ever.

I will give the game this though: When cute girls play it, and mimic the dancer on the screen... it can be VERY entertaining to watch.

*Droooooolz*
:shock: Ummm...yeah.....

Anyway, I rather enjoy trying to learn the techniques, or have fun ad-libbing it on Freestyle Mode... ^_^ You see, this game was definitely not made for grade-grubbers and score junkies. Maybe that's why I like it so much...

I can't wait until I can make it back to the Westside for a little bit of that PPP goodness...

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:44 am

Grubb wrote:This game was WAAAY too easy.

*Droooooolz*
don't lie, you can't get a perfect score on any game.

MB
Standard
Standard

Post by MB » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:02 am

I have to agree with Ho. All a friend of mine and myself do is play and act like damn fools. Folks, it's a blast.

On that note, to anyone who has the home version, are there normal controller controls for the game? I'm just tinkering around here and wondering how those controls might be mapped to a normal/Dual Shock/2...

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:17 am

I played on a home version once, but the sensors are entirely too short for me. I think I'm not enough of an asian girl, but lord knows I try.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:04 pm

The home controller can be adjusted for height. It's a bit fussy, but basically adjust it to not register the ceiling (the sensors sit on the floor) and you're good.

The game can also be played with a Dual Shock using the analog sticks. This works fairly well because there are two just like you have two arms and it's pretty easy to make PPP style sweeping motions with them. However, I think you might have missed my point. Playing this way really won't get you learning any of the routines. And while I did mention freestyle mode, I don't think even I would find playing on this mode with a Dual Shock to be fun for more than about five minutes.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:09 pm

Eurobeat music is fun forever.

GaKki
Standard
Standard

Post by GaKki » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:52 pm

I thought the game itself was alrght. I enjoy playing it every now and again. I may like it if I were to play more, but the music is great! And, I like BeatMania. Actually, I thought it was awesome! But yeah PPP=Alright Bemani.