The future of Gameworks...?

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:43 am

Rascals Fun Zone wrote:Wow that sure wasn't the response I thought I would get lol. I did not put them down at all, I even complimented them. Like I said before they go after a completely different market then us. Most of Gameworks buisness is not from regulars it is from people visiting the mall. The only regulars they have are from DDR and Initial D. That is the sole reason redemption doesn't work there and is the #1 earner in other arcades. Further more, I like their selection of games and their card readers but I just don't know how long it can last. I did not want to start a arguement and I never said that we are better and never will I was just posting in a thread under this name. I talk to everyone in our store like a friend and I am trying to post like one.

Rob
Just ignore Casey. He has a small penis, and insulting people is just his way of compensating.

As for Rascal's? I like it because it's cheaper than Gameworks.

Sure, Gameworks has 10 buck Tuesdays. But that only matters if you can acutally get on the machine that many times.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:13 am

Grubb wrote:
Rascals Fun Zone wrote:Wow that sure wasn't the response I thought I would get lol. I did not put them down at all, I even complimented them. Like I said before they go after a completely different market then us. Most of Gameworks buisness is not from regulars it is from people visiting the mall. The only regulars they have are from DDR and Initial D. That is the sole reason redemption doesn't work there and is the #1 earner in other arcades. Further more, I like their selection of games and their card readers but I just don't know how long it can last. I did not want to start a arguement and I never said that we are better and never will I was just posting in a thread under this name. I talk to everyone in our store like a friend and I am trying to post like one.

Rob
Just ignore Casey. He has a small penis, and insulting people is just his way of compensating.

As for Rascal's? I like it because it's cheaper than Gameworks.

Sure, Gameworks has 10 buck Tuesdays. But that only matters if you can acutally get on the machine that many times.
proof you will get banned.

as for regulars at gameworks, there are MANY regulars besides the DDR players for the racing games, for the fighting games, and for the other racing games.

Honestly, what game other than DDR do you have to offer ANYBODY, nothing.

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:15 am

Oh lets just end Rob's idiotic rantings about Gameworks being bankrupted.

First off, it did happen, but they are out of it now, jus recently.

Sega has REPURCHASED Gameworks, and alot of money is about to be invested into it.

Gameworks also has signed a 10 year lease with Circle Center, and isn't going ANYWHERE>

NOW STFU arcade running noob.

subhuman
Light
Light

Post by subhuman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:30 am

Hello everybody,
I am Steve the Gameworks "Techie".
Just to clear everything up, no we are not going out of business. We did file chapter 11 many moons ago and have since emerged.

We closed the redemption area because we are supposed to be getting a Lazerball arena. Lazerball is a mix of lazertag and paintball and alot better than either.

Yes, there was talk once of moving the Galyans offices into the former World Mardi Gras area, but since Galyans is no more that won't likely be happening.

Our concession stand is now open. We currently do pizza, hotdogs, drinks, and Icee's, but we are trying out new products and welcome suggestions.

Casey and Rob, you are both right. While we do have a large group of regulars for various games, most of our business is from transients. And, Rob, our card system was rather expensive to set up, but due to low maintenance costs and the rather long lifespan of the equipment, our card system has paid for itself.

And last, Yes Casey does have a small penis :D

As always, if you have any questions or game issues you can post 'em or send me an email.

Rascals Fun Zone
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rascals Fun Zone » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:46 am

Yeah I have seen the card system at the IAAPA show it is pretty cool. Not having to fix token jams or dump tokens at the end of the day would save some money on staff and the tokens aren't cheap themselves either. The only problem I have seen with it (which there are drawbacks to every system) is people sharing cards on the $10 Tuesday. I will post my reply to the other question here about Microsoft. I did contact them about the X-box system and as long as I purchase copies of every game it is fine. There are other local places here doing it with X-box's and PC's. If you are interested more in the PC area consider checking out a company called Lanzone they work with another company called Flex-Arcade if you have trouble finding them. Lanzone takes care of all the licensce requirements for you and sets it up in cabinets so nothing is out in the open. I am pretty sure they will be at the upcoming ASAI show in Chicago (I believe that is the spelling) if you want to check them out.

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:54 pm

subhuman wrote:Hello everybody,
I am Steve the Gameworks "Techie".

And last, Yes Casey does have a small penis :D
\
like a horse.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:45 pm

As long as Gameworks keeps Initial D in working order, i'll be there on a semi-regular basis..

SirPhobos
Standard
Standard

Post by SirPhobos » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:56 pm

It'd be awesome if our gameworks were like the one i was at yesterday in Illinois. Their gameworks alone is two stories tall.

I wonder how many of the gameworks have TWO fully stocked bars and TWO floors of gaming awesomeness? There's something to think about. It's weird, because you'd think of gameworks as being family-centric... but hey, i like the idea. a lot of 21 and over people still play the hell out of video games.

Also, when we were leaving their GW, the line at the front desk stretched from the desk to OUT THE DOOR.
I got my propaganda, I got revisionism.
I got my violence in high-def ultra-realism.
All a part of this great nation.

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:05 am

SirPhobos wrote:It'd be awesome if our gameworks were like the one i was at yesterday in Illinois. Their gameworks alone is two stories tall.

I wonder how many of the gameworks have TWO fully stocked bars and TWO floors of gaming awesomeness? There's something to think about. It's weird, because you'd think of gameworks as being family-centric... but hey, i like the idea. a lot of 21 and over people still play the hell out of video games.

Also, when we were leaving their GW, the line at the front desk stretched from the desk to OUT THE DOOR.
the line is a common thing at our gameworks also.

Anyways they do have more games up in Chicago (been to that gw) but its also alot more spaced out since the building is HUGE. Gotta remember, ours is only a Studio.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:04 am

I must say, I am quite happy that Gameworks is not closing. :D I enjoyed going to that place. It was my place to play DDR when I was in the downtown area, and Rascals was the place to play when I was around home. Plus, Gameworks is a bonus to going to the mall. What's better than shopping, playing DDR, and getting a Cinnabon afterwards...MMMMMM 8)

I look forward to returning to both... :wink:

Rascals Fun Zone
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rascals Fun Zone » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:27 am

Hey SirPhobos you might check out Jillians sometime, they have a small arcade (no ddr) but has a bar a bowling alley and a japanese restaurant in there. When I go to Colts games downtown I like hanging out in their for the atmosphere it is kinda cool. Jillians also filed bankruptcy as a company but this location is supposed to be one of the more profitable ones (probably similar to gameworks) so hopefully it will still stick around.

Rob

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

yea

Post by Ray_Clark » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:28 am

Rob
I feel ya man!

FLIP indy GM
Beginner
Beginner

Post by FLIP indy GM » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:01 pm

SirPhobos wrote:It'd be awesome if our gameworks were like the one i was at yesterday in Illinois. Their gameworks alone is two stories tall.

Just thought I would chime in seeing as there is allot of talk about my house on here and all... couple things
1. We have 18 GameWorks world wide most in the us ... 14 out of them are like the Chicago venue and leaving the other 4 to the studio status which is the biggest one, with 27000 sqft. (Just a little history)

RFZ - don’t worry I understand what you were saying!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST if I can help it GameWorks wont be going anywhere but up for a long time.

VIC
Aka
FLIP Indy GM
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, paintball gun in one hand hypnotic in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
See you on the FLIPside

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:34 pm

bout time you got on here Vic

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:45 pm

subhuman wrote:As always, if you have any questions or game issues you can post 'em or send me an email.
I played your guys' House of the Dead game the last time I was in there about a month ago. I don't remember the number of it(3 or something) but I believe it is your only one. The lightguns are way messed up in the aiming aspect. I've played my fair share of lightgun games and I can tell you that the shots were way worse than they should have been.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."