Laser Flash - ITG in the works

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:11 pm

Just got back. Met MonMotha while there.

It's an ITG 2 machine, and though I didn't use the player 1 pad, apparently it occasionally doesn't register the left arrow. Other than that, it was a hell of a lot of fun.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:27 pm

Yume_Taira wrote:Bad news: Mondo STILL works there, last time I checked. Sorry.
Yes, he does. It's really sad. He's still the normal arrogant idiot he used to be too.

And yes, the 1P left arrow sometimes just doesn't take. I'm not sure why: it doesn't appear to be sticking, just sometimes doesn't register at all, even if you clearly hit it (like I did a up-left jump and it just gave me a miss). Kept me from full comboing Follow the Sun too... I don't really have any suggestions; the pad appears to be built like a Pump stage (rather than a DDR stage), which I have no experience with.

As usual the LaserFlash guys didn't really care (though one guy was ready to take it apart until "Mondo" reminded him that it's Schaffer's machine and they can't do jack with it), but there was a Schaffer rep. there. I informed him of the problem, and he said they'd take a look at it.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:52 pm

I played there today, and the first player left worked fine! I got some kick butt scores with it, too...

Though I did blow up a mine. But it was my first time, and it was just one!! It felt kinda nice going back to the old-school four pad system. Got to practice my crossovers and my gallops. ^_^

I'll definitely be coming back, especially with 4 songs for $.75 and MUCH cheaper drinks.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:23 pm

It doesn't miss very often, maybe once per song if that, but it definately was having some issues. I did a jump that I know I hit (and got at least a great on). I noticed that it didn't give me a grade, and about 1/3 of a second after the sound of me landing on the stage, it came up and said "Miss". There were a couple other times that it missed on me as well. It's not horrible. The machine is still playable, certainly, but it is a problem. No worse than the Ft. Wayne machine skipping.

I also noticed a couple songs that seemed desynced by just a little (only noticed because of the MA), but that may have just been me. Ask white dragon; he would have heard me bitching about it and could offer another viewpoint on that particular topic.

Oh, and boomerang and flip are fscking hard to read, but you all knew that.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:49 pm

4 songs!?

Rounds are already really long at 3 songs. Ah well, too bad its a shaffer arcade, and that means no decent deals. I may visit from time to time though.

Kinda weird that the 1p left arrow isn't responding perfectly, because the one in Anderson is the same way. To my knowledge they didn't work on it at all, and all of the sudden it kicked into shape, and no more pad faults. Yay.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:04 am

There may be a cushion or stop that needs to get broken in. The panels seemed to be riding awfully close to the corner brackets that hold them down. It also seemed to get better as I played on it (I played for like 2 hours).

Yes, games are VERY long, and it can be quite a stamina buster if you try to play 10s and 11s the whole time, but it's fun and is a decent deal. No token deals though...damn Schaffer.

It was never very bad. I full combo'd one song with no problem, and had the one pad miss on follow the sun, so it's not horrible.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:23 am

^_^ Well, it's four songs except for FPT, where the rounds are cut in half so more people can play. I never go there on Thursday anyway, so four songs is great for me!

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:44 am

I'll defininitely have to come play some time.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:44 pm

Well, my family is going to the 4th of July Carmel Fest tomorrow for pretty much the entire day. Since it's right by Laser Flash, I'll probably be down there for a good chunk of the afternoon tomorrow.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Peter
Beginner
Beginner

ITG Specials at Laser Flash

Post by Peter » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:32 am

I am the owner of Laser Flash.

I've heard from my staff that this community had some positive things to say about ITG2 at Laser Flash. :) A request to come up with a special or tournament or other promotion for ITG was passed on to me.

I began discussing the idea of adding specials for ITG yesterday with one of my managers. Unfortunately, someone from this community came in yesterday and was verbally abusive to that same manager. :cry: The person was unhappy with the special promotion I was running yesterday for my other customers. He implied that he and his friends were more important than the rest of my customers combined.

Business 101 lesson: no amount of potential revenue is worth the stress of having my staff put up with abusive customers.

Interpersonal Relations 101 lesson: you catch more flys with honey than with vinegar.

So this person has convinced me to no longer consider creating any promotions for ITG fans. My decision is not based on feedback from the manager but from my own son who witnessed the exchange.
Peter Murphy
owner
Laser Flash
pmurphy@laser-flash.com

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:50 am

I fully understand your postioning. I am not privvy to the details of what transpired, but I have definitely seen rude behavior on the part of some fans of this game. Of course this kind of behavior is not at all unique to this group either. Don't you think that perhaps shutting out an entire community based on the actions of a single individual is a bit rash?
Peter wrote:Business 101 lesson: no amount of potential revenue is worth the stress of having my staff put up with abusive customers.
I agree. But I would also say that your post directed at this community is akin to a message of unwelcomeness. I've been to your facility and had a reasonably positive opinion of it, but I can't say that your statements make me excited to want to go back.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Re: ITG Specials at Laser Flash

Post by Potter » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:51 pm

Peter wrote:I am the owner of Laser Flash.

I've heard from my staff that this community had some positive things to say about ITG2 at Laser Flash. :) A request to come up with a special or tournament or other promotion for ITG was passed on to me.

I began discussing the idea of adding specials for ITG yesterday with one of my managers. Unfortunately, someone from this community came in yesterday and was verbally abusive to that same manager. :cry: The person was unhappy with the special promotion I was running yesterday for my other customers. He implied that he and his friends were more important than the rest of my customers combined.

Business 101 lesson: no amount of potential revenue is worth the stress of having my staff put up with abusive customers.

Interpersonal Relations 101 lesson: you catch more flys with honey than with vinegar.

So this person has convinced me to no longer consider creating any promotions for ITG fans. My decision is not based on feedback from the manager but from my own son who witnessed the exchange.

peter!! im sure you know me, and I know who that person was. I think its really unfair to shut us all out because of that one person. And plus from what I hear that manager wasnt being totally honest. Just get the story from all sides before making any big rulings, Cuz I love your establishment, (if you havent figured that out from me going there about everyday for a year) and Its even better now with itg.
Last edited by Potter on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:09 am

Yes brash it is... but a statement nonetheless. There is a trait posessed by some called common sense and respect. This person obviously lacked judgement and should be punished for this... but let's take a look at what is going on

However, creating an injustice to an entire community goes against all ethical ideals.

People are inquisitive by nature, if you make good deals for a game like ITG, people will be more inclined to play it. I'm not sure if you're familiar with many people who play it, but it's rather addicting.... if you promote it as good exercise also, you can get some more customers that way (I've lost 25 lbs this summer without changing my diet just by playing ITG and weight lifting (which gains muscle mass so I've really lost more fat than that)). You could pull in alot more business like that.

In Book 2 of Plato's Republic, Socrates said that justice is the mean between commiting injustice upon another and not being punished and recieving injustice without getting revenge.
Now let's apply this to the situation... This started because a single person commited an injustice on your manager (problem 1)
Your current solution is to generalize an entire community based on the actions of one is creating an injustice against all of us as your revenge (problems 2-?).

This is a morally one sided fight... in this situation, person 1 commits an injustice and in the end is punished, but along with countless others.

Change Frame of referance now to these people. These people have just had an injustice acted upon them. They cannot respond now because either they are ignorant of the situation, or have no way to get their said revenge.. but in getting their revenge would create another injustice.... that is what causes 90% of all problems right there....

The correct solution to the situation, based on justice, is to develop a compromise between the two parties. This way, there is going to be a set of ground rules and it would be more fair for both parties.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Re: ITG Specials at Laser Flash

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:29 am

Peter wrote:I am the owner of Laser Flash.

You're going to have a nice PM about this event from me. Its nice to see your employees like to jump the gun though and lie to you. Hopefully this little matter can be solved rationally instead of having assumptions thrown out automatically.

As Ho stated, your establishment is awesome, depending whos working there. Its the fact that most my experiences there were great, aside from 2 specific employees, which is what I will PM you about instead of my usual public posts.

Oh and to make it clear, I DO NOT represent IndyDDR in ANY fashion.[/b]

Mando
Beginner
Beginner

Good Discussion..

Post by Mando » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:18 am

This seems to be a very open and good discussion, I hope to contribute to it in a positive manner and keep it going in that direction.

First of all, I would like to apologize to anyone on these forums who feels I have acted poorly towards them. In general I try to be nice to everyone but there are times when my personality can come off to be arrogant though it is rarely my intent.

Casey and Potter, accusing me of lying with no proof of the matter does not help a situation like this, especially since I had not spoken to Peter and was not even awake at the time of his posting due to having worked the entire time we were open on Thursday. He posted based on communication with another employee, and told me about it when I arrived at work today around 1:30pm.

I would like to thank those of you who have responded to Peter's comments with thought and reason, and I would have to say I agree that branding the whole community does not solve the problem, that said please understand his reaction from his point of view.

I helped set up the first DDR tournament that we held on the 3rd mix machine, and I believe that went well. We had talked about doing another at some point with the ITG machine if it had the draw. After talking to the other manager from Wednesday we were told about this web site and came here looking for ideas to use for such an instance as well as potentially creating an ITG package for another night. These types of things could still possibly come to fruition.

With regards to Thursday, most of you have been to our facility often enough to know how Free Play Thursdays work. Thursdays have been run like this for 2 years now, everyone pays a cover to get unlimited video games and Laser Tag. Since we started this, I would say it has actually helped the DDR/ITG population grow because it gives people the opportunity to try it out at "no cost" and we have seen many people become avid players through this process.

Thursday this week was busy, as they generally are during the summer as the entire day package becomes a discount of great magnitude. There were over 150 people in our facility, and many playing ITG. The reason Thursdays have to be a cover charge is due to the fact that there are simply too many people to be able to monitor who has or has not paid and is able to play games. We routinely have to remind people to buy bracelets when they come in as some forget, some get excited and start playing before paying, and some new commers simply do not know about the program. When there are that many people in there, the cover charge simply has to be applied accross the board, it is the only way to make the program effective and fair to those who have paid the cover charge to play. Tokens do not work on games put on free play, so unfortunately customers are not able to purchase tokens and play individual games on these days, we understand it can be frustrating to an unknowing customer but the program has been a proven success for the vast majority of the youth population in the Carmel and Indianapolis area.

This is what created the situation on this Thursday, as Casey wanted to use tokens, or be able to stay in the facility without having paid the cover. Unfortunately as stated above it is very difficult to monitor that kind of situation, and although one person is not going to kill us, what you allow one to do you have to allow all to do. Again it is a cover charge that has to be enforced accross the board. When I tried to explain this to him I was told that "we did not know how to do business and that this was bull shit" at which point I asked him to leave. I have no problem apologizing again, like I said this is a situation that can be frustrating to a customer who does not know how our Thursdays work, but lashing out was not the way to handle it. I am personally still open to potential ideas about ITG events, if anyone has any ideas or would like to come in and talk to us about them or this matter further please do so.

Have a good day, time to get some sleep! Lock outs until 5am tend to make you tired.

Mando