XSite

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:57 pm

Can you actually *do* a 10? I can do a 7 or MAYBE an 8 on Hard (not Crazy) if I'm lucky right now. You're not likely to find it very fun if you're constantly trying to do stuff that's beyond your ability at the game.

It may be "similar to" DDR, but it's different enough that you can't expect to walk up and pass everything on crazy just because you can pass everything on maniac on DDR.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:21 pm

xK1 wrote:Anyways, hopefully later this week I'll try to make a trip up there to check it out. I'm looking forward to it.
Be sure to post and I'll try and meet you there!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:29 pm

xK1 wrote:Anyways, hopefully later this week I'll try to make a trip up there to check it out. I'm looking forward to it.
If you want to show up on Friday, I can probably meet you there too any time in the afternoon. I'm actually kinda sore from playing for like 4 hours straight yesterday evening, but I'd do it again!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

JL143
Light
Light

Post by JL143 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:42 pm

I decided that I like it now. It only took me 3 tries, however. The first time I didn't because I was expecting a DDR machine and that was there, the second time I started liking it, and now the third time when we stopped by on saturday evening I started liking it now that I can read the arrows better.

Its nice to have one nearby, and at of all places, Xsite. I sortof don't want it to leave now.
Yep.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:01 pm

I'm glad to hear that you gave it another chance and eventually found it enjoyable. Perhaps I'll see you there sometime...or maybe I saw you there Saturday and we just didn't introduce ourselves.

At any rate, I just want to reiterate what I've been saying throughout this discussion. It's not about DDR vs. Pump. They're two different games. Similar games, yes. But each has different things to offer. It's fine to like or dislike either one or both. I just want to discourage people from discounting one simply because it is not the other.

JL143
Light
Light

Post by JL143 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:18 pm

We saw you guys, but we were in a hurry. We were in the group that just popped in, played a couple games (four people / 2 pads = two games) then left.
Yep.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:32 pm

Yes, I remember the group...though I don't remember individual faces or anything. From the comments, it sounded like one of you liked the game and at least one hated it. I didn't get as good a read off the other two. At any rate, you're right...you just kinda came in, played, and disappeared. I was kind of surprised you all didn't stick around longer. Oh well, maybe next time!

Sage
Standard
Standard

Post by Sage » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:44 pm

i went in there the other day and was shocked. oh well i tried it and it was fun so i think i will play it to. it is just hard getting use to the middle panel
"General?!" Tahngarth roared.

"General nuisance, maybe"

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:42 pm

MonMotha wrote: If you want to show up on Friday, I can probably meet you there too any time in the afternoon. I'm actually kinda sore from playing for like 4 hours straight yesterday evening, but I'd do it again!
I can't go on Friday, that's Sin City day! =P

Tentatively I'm going to try to make it on Saturday afternoon after I get off work. I'm not 100% positive that I'll make it, so I'm not bothering with a Getting Together thread at the moment....

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:25 pm

Got to play Pump for the first time today, and I can now say that Pump > DDR.

Getting started was rough, but after a few sets singles seemed kinda natural (double is another story though). I really enjoy the challenge put forth by Pump. So far I've got past a few 13/14/15s on crazy, and 14 remix. I'll be looking to play this a little bit more.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:53 pm

Yo,

When i'm at Westside next and a group is leaving to XSite, let me know and i'll follow.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:57 pm

TaQa wrote:So far I've got past a few 13/14/15s on crazy, and 14 remix. I'll be looking to play this a little bit more.
I officially hate you now, David. I can do like 7 or 8 on Hard. You really are truely amazing at these stupid dance games :)
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:22 am

Yup, I was there last night, too. I was shocked to see David there, but even more shocked to see how good he had gotten in just a few games. You never cease to amaze me....

...freak. ;)

But seriously, it just shows how much crossover skill there is between the two games once you get past the awkwardness of the transition between four steps and five. Once you can read the scroll and quit stepping on the compass rose positions (DDR) it all starts to feel very natural, very familiar, and very FUN!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:14 am

Well, I'll just chime in here and say add me to the list of those who think PIU is superior to DDR. :P Or, at the least, I enjoy PIU more right now. It's still challenging, and every time I play I can feel myself getting better, unlike DDR, where I plateaued a long time ago.

The step patterns are more interesting; they more frequently force you to spin around and they seem well thought out.

And anyone who says PIU is easier than DDR is just flat out wrong. The timing window is bigger, but I'd love to see someone who can pass a 17-18 foot nightmare level song still say that DDR is harder :wink:

I'd love to come up and play the Exceed 2 some time...

If you don't like PIU, that's fine. But I'd suggest playing at least 3 or 4 full games before you come to that decision. Like anything else, there's a learning curve...

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:44 pm

My two cents.

I've been playing Pump after DDR, but since the first Korean PC version came out (1st & 2nd DF), and if you hated the Exceed 2 interface, you would DESPISE the older interfaces. X and X2 are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the older interfaces. It's a ton more comprehensible and easier to navigate.

It's a MUCH better look than any of the previous Pumps. The announcer does suck, but it's better than never having an announcer before (X2 is the first). Sure, I hate the "FAILED" screen too but eh. Little gripes I can get over.

However, if that's what turns you off from a game, that's rather petty. While at first it took me and my friends a while to get used to the interface, we got over it rather quickly when we started playing all the fun songs.

As for difficulty ratings, Exceed 1 had some really messed up numbers; while Exceed 2 fixed a lot of the ratings, not all of them are fixed. Some songs are rated an 8, but would be closer to a 10, some are rated a 14, but are closer to an 11.

As for hard songs, you want hard, play
Dignity CZ
Canon-D CZ
Hi-Bi CZ
What Do You Really Want CZ
J-Bong CZ
Slam CZ
Monkey Fingers CZ

If you can get an S in all of those, then you may have the right to say the game is easy, but I will guarantee anyone here that you will NOT get even a B or a C on Slam or Dignity on CZ on your first few tries.

THEN you can start playing the Nightmare difficulties, which DESTROYS almost any double song on DDR in existance, and definitely rivals ITG.

Sure, everyone's entitled to their own opinions, PIU isn't for everyone, but to hate it for petty reasons, because it's not DDR, then get over it.

It's like hating Guilty Gear XX because it isn't Street Fighter II, and nothing more.