Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Re: ZIv Location Database

Post by Diamondback1996 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Except it's not?

And it wasn't just about the condition of the X, it's about adding every location we know of.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:07 am

Diamondback1996 wrote:I have no idea what to do with X. Perfect feels too generous but good makes it sound worse than it is... :(
I think Good is fair. Even if I agree with MonMotha that it plays better than straight out of the box, I would count cosmetics as part of condition. That being said, the machine clearly has some wear on it that would preclude it from a Perfect rating. And since ZIV doesn't have anything between Perfect and Good, I think it's a fair rating. The only reason I said anything in the first place was that I thought Bad was much too harsh.

Of course these ratings are relatively undefined and subjective, so I'm really just stating my interpretation/opinion.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:30 am

This is going to be a Merk-esque post.

Why do we need to list every arcade game that Tilt, D&B, whoever offers? ZIv is a music gaming site, not a directory for all Arcade games. Whether or not they have Time Crisis 3 or 4 probably doesn't matter to anyone.

I'd say list music games and any other games you think need to be noted for being new, rare, or otherwise unique.

Also, per the Location Information field instructions:

"Comment on location atmosphere, accessibility, machine details and condition in-depth here."

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 pm

That wasn't Merk-esque. I don't feel aggravated or disgusted after reading it.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote: Why do we need to list every arcade game that Tilt, D&B, whoever offers? ZIv is a music gaming site, not a directory for all Arcade games. Whether or not they have Time Crisis 3 or 4 probably doesn't matter to anyone.
Pretty sure the admin wants the location database to be for all games as it's the biggest arcade database out there for anything apparently.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:18 pm

That's a tall order. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a location that doesn't have at least one rhythm game anywhere on the site. Anyway I updated a few locations.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Ho, I think it's a bad idea to count cosmetics as machine condition. Pad quality significantly outweighs all other factors as far as playability. Anyone looking for machines on the internet won't be much concerned with anything else, and I for one wouldn't want anything else detracting from what's importat. If you can't FC anything on the pads, it doesn't matter how sexy the cabinet looks.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:28 pm

And if I can't hear it, I won't bother playing it...

And if I can't make out anything due to a fuzzy monitor or dirty glass, I won't bother playing it...

And if the thing constantly looks and smells like somebody barfed on it, I won't be playing it...

And if some jackwagon has replaced the lamps on it with 1000W Xenon strobes shining directly into my eyes, I won't be playing it...

Sure, if it's a bit scuffed around the corners, that's not really a big deal with regards to playability, but I'd say there are plenty of essentially "cosmetic" things that impact gameplay. Certainly the sheer number of missing screws on the Tilt machine, while not generally affecting gameplay in a major way, preclude it from having a "perfect" rating if you ask me. That's a physical defect, even if it doesn't affect gameplay directly. On the other hand, I wouldn't be too concerned with the worn decals on the bottoms of the panels.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:32 pm

MonMotha wrote: "cosmetic" things that impact gameplay
Well then it's not cosmetic is it? Hence the "quotes"

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 am

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/17/zenius- ... ing-games/

Maybe this actually will work as an arcade database.

Diamondback1996: I was wrong to dismiss your goal as too lofty. Years ago I too was a dreamer. Let's band together and encourage everyone, even our cranio-rectally inverted friend Merk, to update this page with arcade info.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Wow, that's some really great advertisement. Thanks for posting that! :D

I was thinking we should add the IndyDDR-user-owned "arcades". Bemaniland Ranch is on there. Just make sure there's a note that it's closed to the public but if you want to visit you can contact someone, like the Bemaniland Ranch entry.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I'd be careful with that. Let the owners add their arcades if they'd like.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 pm

That's good advice. I've asked to be removed from databases like this in the past.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah as much as I love music games the people that actually play them tend to be pretty unsavory characters. You all are good people though!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 am

I wouldn't even go that far. Most people I've met have been fine. I'm just not looking to advertise or give any sort of impression that I'm "open for business" in any way.