Tilt fall machine sale

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tilt fall machine sale

Post by Ho » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:36 pm

I split this from the Jillian's is ded topic. I kind of derailed that topic with talk of the Tilt machine sale and realized that the latter probably merits a discussion of its own.

If you're in the market for a DDR machine, Tilt is doing their fall sale again. They have the USA machine listed for $995. Or you could go for the Beatmania 5th Mix for $95.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Re: Jillian's is ded

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Ho wrote:Good bye, Jillians. You *won't* be missed.

BTW, if you're in the market for a DDR machine, Tilt is doing their fall sale again. They have the USA machine listed for $995. Or you could go for the Beatmania 5th Mix for $95.
Wait, their 5th Mix is $95? Um, when is this happening and how can I get in on this?
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Ho wrote:Good bye, Jillians. You *won't* be missed.

BTW, if you're in the market for a DDR machine, Tilt is doing their fall sale again. They have the USA machine listed for $995. Or you could go for the Beatmania 5th Mix for $95.
Where did you see this? I'm really interested. Do they have a web store somewhere?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:13 am

Amp Divorax wrote:Wait, their 5th Mix is $95? Um, when is this happening and how can I get in on this?
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Where did you see this? I'm really interested. Do they have a web store somewhere?
I was at Tilt on Saturday.

Tilt, as a company, apparently does this every year, system wide. Everything is for sale and has a price tag on it, but you can tell the machines that they actually want to get rid of as they are priced to sell. The rest have prices that range from wishful thinking to borderline unreasonable--or are simply marked "SEE ATTENDANT." And as we all know, "if you have to ask..."

I'm assuming that this year's sale works the same as last year's. You just have to show up in person with money and a way to get the machine out of there--immediately. Once it's yours, they don't want it on their floor (I believe it's an insurance issue) and will not store it for you. You can't call to reserve, you have to show up in person with money. You can call to ask about pricing of the various machines, but you have to be specific. I don't think they will just give you a list. If you want that, you have to go there and look at the machines yourself.

The beatmania is a great deal at $95, but it definitely needs some work...a lot of work.

$995 is also a great deal for DDR. I'd be interested for purely nostalgic reasons as that is the first machine I ever played. But $995 is a fairly high price tag for pure nostalgia since I don't actually need it, there's no particular advantage to owning two, and I really don't have space for it without getting rid of something else first.

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Tilt fall machine sale

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I called Tilt regarding their sale. The manager is out until Wednesday, and he is the only one that can complete this transactions. As Ho pointed out, payment and pickup must occur in the same day. The staff will help with any disassembly and transportation to the loading dock. They will not help load equipment into the truck.

I'm discussing some options, but there is a strong possibility I will be getting a truck to pickup DDR and Beatmania from Tilt.

Dave: Did you still want to purchase Beatmania? Should I go ahead and pick it up from Tilt? Would you be interested in helping me pick these up on Wednesday or Thursday?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Chad where the hell are you going to put a second DDR machine?

Beet I for $95 is a steal, too bad it's Beet I and that game is pretty awful by today's standards.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Merk wrote:Chad where the hell are you going to put a second DDR machine?
Garage for now. I don't own the current DDR cabinet, and I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal elsewhere.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Yeah you're right. You're going to have to definitely put some work into it though. Please tell me you're going to put Extreme in it or at the very least Stepmania.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Merk wrote:Yeah you're right. You're going to have to definitely put some work into it though. Please tell me you're going to put Extreme in it or at the very least Stepmania.
Yeah, you're right about that. I'd probably go for Stepmania, though running a PC to these monitors is clearly harder than I thought it'd be :\

I sent you a text. plz halp.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:00 pm

It's actually easy pretty, I'm just a dumbass and didn't look at the specs of my integrated graphics card correctly. Soft15k as far as I know will default to the DVI-out slot on a video card that has two slots (generally DVI and VGA). As far as I know there is no way to change this and it will always go out the DVI slot and never the VGA slot.

The problem I was having was that my DVI out is strictly digital (or DVI-D for short) and is not capable of sending out an analog signal which my (and your future DDR machine's) arcade monitor requires. Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

My video card is one of the few cards out there that exclusively just runs DVI-D. Most cards have a DVI-I port which runs both digital and analog outputs. When I bought the fucking thing it didn't specify which type of DVI port it had (it just lists "DVI" as one of its ports) and I'm guessing the manufacturer didn't think it would be an issue since they slapped on a VGA-out as well in case something absolutely needed an analog input. Unfortunately, Soft15khz, which I need to get picture from my computer to my arcade monitor, doesn't jive with this and only outputs a 15khz signal on the DVI-D slot which the Minimaid can't use.

The solution? I bought an ArcadeVGA card (http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html) which is guaranteed to work with Soft15khz. The only big question mark is whether or not it will run DrumMania. If there is a God, it will work. If not, I figured I could sell it to you, Chad, for $80 and you can slap it in your MAME cabinet or your newly found DDR cabinet. But all signs are pointing to "it will run DM" so that may be a moot point. It's shipping from London though so it'll be a while before we can confirm or deny that I blew way too much money on something I'll have to turn into a media server or something.

*Prepares for a MonMotha correction*

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Merk wrote:It's actually easy pretty, I'm just a dumbass and didn't look at the specs of my integrated graphics card correctly. Soft15k as far as I know will default to the DVI-out slot on a video card that has two slots (generally DVI and VGA). As far as I know there is no way to change this and it will always go out the DVI slot and never the VGA slot.

The problem I was having was that my DVI out is strictly digital (or DVI-D for short) and is not capable of sending out an analog signal which my (and your future DDR machine's) arcade monitor requires. Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

My video card is one of the few cards out there that exclusively just runs DVI-D. Most cards have a DVI-I port which runs both digital and analog outputs. When I bought the fucking thing it didn't specify which type of DVI port it had (it just lists "DVI" as one of its ports) and I'm guessing the manufacturer didn't think it would be an issue since they slapped on a VGA-out as well in case something absolutely needed an analog input. Unfortunately, Soft15khz, which I need to get picture from my computer to my arcade monitor, doesn't jive with this and only outputs a 15khz signal on the DVI-D slot which the Minimaid can't use.

The solution? I bought an ArcadeVGA card (http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html) which is guaranteed to work with Soft15khz. The only big question mark is whether or not it will run DrumMania. If there is a God, it will work. If not, I figured I could sell it to you, Chad, for $80 and you can slap it in your MAME cabinet or your newly found DDR cabinet. But all signs are pointing to "it will run DM" so that may be a moot point. It's shipping from London though so it'll be a while before we can confirm or deny that I blew way too much money on something I'll have to turn into a media server or something.

*Prepares for a MonMotha correction*
Merk, this is a quality post. AAA rating.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 pm

You can make soft15k work on the secondary (usually the analog VGA port, these days) interface of most cards but not all. The UI will list every interface windows knows and ask you which one you want to hack. Each output is listed separately. Unfortunately, it's generally impossible to tell which is which since it's usually cut off, and the drivers often expose obtuse or downright incorrect names, anyway, but you can figure it out by trial and error.

Fortunately, Stepmania can run on just about any video card, which helps a lot as you can just pick something known to work.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:48 pm

I guess I had one of those "but not all" cards since nothing would work at all on my card for the Minimaid. Plugging VGA into a PC monitor after installing Soft15k from my computer just resulted in messed up colors and I could not get anything to show up on the arcade monitor unless I had DIP 6 turned on.

It would appear to me that Soft15k would just not work since DIP 6 should NOT show anything on the arcade monitor if my card is outputting at 15khz correctly.

And no, LED 4 never turned on unless DIPs 4, 5, and 6 were all turned ON a expected.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Merk wrote:I guess I had one of those "but not all" cards since nothing would work at all on my card for the Minimaid. Plugging VGA into a PC monitor after installing Soft15k from my computer just resulted in messed up colors and I could not get anything to show up on the arcade monitor unless I had DIP 6 turned on.

It would appear to me that Soft15k would just not work since DIP 6 should NOT show anything on the arcade monitor if my card is outputting at 15khz correctly.

And no, LED 4 never turned on unless DIPs 4, 5, and 6 were all turned ON a expected.
If you got "messed up colors" on a VGA monitor, soft15K was probably working--or at least was having some effect--as most regular VGA monitors won't like a 15K signal. You must have been using a pretty old VGA monitor for it to have even tried. Most I've used will just display a message like OUT OF RANGE or UNUSABLE SIGNAL or something along those lines.

I can't speak to compatibility/incompatibility with MiniMaid.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Ho wrote:
Merk wrote:I guess I had one of those "but not all" cards since nothing would work at all on my card for the Minimaid. Plugging VGA into a PC monitor after installing Soft15k from my computer just resulted in messed up colors and I could not get anything to show up on the arcade monitor unless I had DIP 6 turned on.

If you got "messed up colors" on a VGA monitor, soft15K was probably working--or at least was having some effect--as most regular VGA monitors won't like a 15K signal. You must have been using a pretty old VGA monitor for it to have even tried. Most I've used will just display a message like OUT OF RANGE or UNUSABLE SIGNAL or something along those lines.

I can't speak to compatibility/incompatibility with MiniMaid.
It wasn't too old. I don't know the precise year, but it was a 17 inch LCD monitor that happened to have VGA input. I really wish I would've taken a picture/screenshot of what we'd seen.