Tilt fall machine sale

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tilt fall machine sale

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Weird. Well, if the output to that VGA monitor was normal before (perhaps that wasn't tried) and then distorted in some way after soft15k, then it would stand to reason that soft15k had some effect on the VGA output. Now, it may not have been the intended or desired effect, but it had some effect.

Check with Brandon on this, but the modes that soft15k sets may not be ideal for this purpose and feeding it a different modeline may produce better results. I don't have that information handy though.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Ho wrote:Weird. Well, if the output to that VGA monitor was normal before (perhaps that wasn't tried) and then distorted in some way after soft15k, then it would stand to reason that soft15k had some effect on the VGA output. Now, it may not have been the intended or desired effect, but it had some effect.
There were some weird Catalyst driver errors, but I have no idea whether or not that's normal when soft15k is running. I'm anxious to see how this new card works out.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeah I guess it should be noted that the absolute earliest Catalyst driver I could install was 10.3 or something around there. Soft15khz recommends 6.5 or whatever but my card was too new to run on old drivers. Not sure if that actually makes a difference, but I did get a message "Catalyst does not support these drivers or this hardware, etc. etc" from Catalyst along with the weird 16 color mode after installing 15khz and rebooting.

I really don't think the situation was salvageable but I am not an expert. ArcadeVGA at the very least should get an image on the monitor and if I can't play DM with it I can at least play Pac-Man or some shit.

I would be super-pissed if Brandon got everything to work as-is by some simple registry hack or whatever because I spent close to 20 hours straight troubleshooting this fucking thing.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 pm

wwwwmmm wmmmww

You can make posts like the above using Minimaid.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Were you able to get the game to run on that card without soft15k? If it's a newer card, it may not work with the game anyway regardless of it or MiniMaid. The Bemani games seem rather temperamental about which video cards they'll work with. I was trying with a HD6300 (outside the cabinet and with just a regular monitor) and DM wouldn't even start. I slapped a HD2400 and it came right up. And as Chad noted, the drivers for the HD2400 were much older than the ones for the HD6300 and there were no drivers for the 6300 that went as far back as the 2400.

And as always...Merk, you are such a charmer.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm headed to Tilt tomorrow after work to check on the various arcades they have for sale. If anyone wants me to check prices, take pictures, or generally examine a specific game just let me know. Since I'll probably be getting a truck for DDR/Beatmania, I can shuttle some other stuff around. Plenty of storage in the garage if needed.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Yeah I confirmed the game was working before even attempting to do any of this stuff last week. The Minimaid works too and we could play the game on the PC monitor with lights, input, and sound albeit the video on the monitor was a bit laggy and stuttery. I assume that would be fixed if I was using an arcade monitor.
I'm headed to Tilt tomorrow after work to check on the various arcades they have for sale. If anyone wants me to check prices, take pictures, or generally examine a specific game just let me know. Since I'll probably be getting a truck for DDR/Beatmania, I can shuttle some other stuff around. Plenty of storage in the garage if needed.
Yeah get a list on what they have for sale. I'd be interested in prices.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Merk wrote:albeit the video on the monitor was a bit laggy and stuttery. I assume that would be fixed if I was using an arcade monitor.
Probably not, actually. I had the game running with stuttery graphics and the fix was using a different video card. Monitor did not make a difference. Like I said, these games tend to be pretty temperamental about which video cards they will work with. What's really sad is when you find discrepancies between two of the same type of card (i.e. two different brands of an HD2400).

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 pm

That DDR machine would be perfect my loft! stompstompstompstompstompstompstomp

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Riot wrote:That DDR machine would be perfect my loft! stompstompstompstompstompstompstomp
*falls through floor*

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 am

Ho wrote:
Merk wrote:albeit the video on the monitor was a bit laggy and stuttery. I assume that would be fixed if I was using an arcade monitor.
Probably not, actually. I had the game running with stuttery graphics and the fix was using a different video card. Monitor did not make a difference. Like I said, these games tend to be pretty temperamental about which video cards they will work with. What's really sad is when you find discrepancies between two of the same type of card (i.e. two different brands of an HD2400).
The weird thing was, it would be nearly perfect when Soft15khz wasn't installed when running DVI to my PC monitor, I had to hit slightly early (maybe this is input lag?) but otherwise shit worked. After I would install Soft15khz there would be a weird drift lag where the game would shift between being perfect and being stuttery and off when running picture through DVI to my PC monitor. Either the drift lag was a fluke or Soft15khz actually did something and that PC monitor could roll with a 15k signal.

Fuck, I don't know. My VGA card came in today so we'll find out if DM can run on an ArcadeVGA sometime after work.

What did you use, Brian, to get your shit working flawlessly?

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 am

ME WANTS BEEETS!!!!!!!!!! *drools*

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am

Guys -- Beatmania I is NOT a good game. It was great at the time when rhythm games got their first start but the "hit buttons in time to music" formula has improved dramatically since.

But still $95 is an absolute bargain and you could easily turn that around for triple the cost.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:45 am

Merk wrote:What did you use, Brian, to get your shit working flawlessly?
When you played it at my place, it was some random nVidia card that I had lying around. I don't even recall off the top of my head which model it is. The game also seems to work well on the same ATI HD2400 that I have been using with IIDX.

When it was all stuttery, it was some kind of nVidia hardware again. I believe it was an FX 5200. I replaced that with another ATI I had sitting around. I forget what it was, but it actually pre-dates the HD series. So maybe an X1300? At any rate, it worked fine.

My point with all this is just to reiterate my original statement that these games are temperamental about what graphics hardware they will run on. I have not isolated any particular rhyme or reason to it. There seem to be exceptions to every "rule" that you could possibly derive. Basically, it's just trial and error. And if you find something that works, make a note of it. I believe there are forum posts elsewhere documenting people's experiences with various makes/models. Picking something that has worked for someone else generally increases your chances.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 pm

Time Crisis 2 - $495 Big ol’ cabinet with 2 guns and 2 screens
Silent Scope - $195
Some other version of Silent Scope - $195
DDR USA - $995 crap pads
DDR SuperNova2 - $10,000 yikes
SSFIV xbox cabinet thing - $995
MvC2 - $295 Big ass cabinet, lousy monitor. Not a bad price for MAME
SFIII - $495 A beast of a cabinet. Controllers are lousy
Virtua Fighter 3 - $95 Looks like some kind of rear projection monitor, and that monitor is in bad shape. Cabinet is huge though, and would be cool for MAME at that price.
Basketball Game - $195 I’d totally get this if it could fit inside a house. Thing is huge.
Other basketball games - $295
Beet beet - $95

They had a lot of other car and motorcycle racing games for $200 or less. Might be a good deal if you care about those sorts of things, or feel like trying to buy then sell for higher. I have pics of everything listed above if needed.

It was mentioned that there might be an added fee of $350 if the monitor is larger than 27 inches. That's pretty lame to list something as cheaper on the sign, but I'll be calling the general manager tomorrow to ask for details.

Anyone care to place a guess on how many Sega UFO crane games reside at Tilt?