TILT Downtown Indianapolis (DDR X/SN2/USA, Beatmania 5)

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Re: TILT Downtown Indianapolis (DDR X/SN2/USA, Beatmania 5)

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:23 pm

IIRC, the USA pads are also great.

And I've also heard that the X pads are good.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Diamondback1996 wrote:IIRC, the USA pads are also great.

And I've also heard that the X pads are good.
The problem with X pads is that they are X pads. I can't speak for USA.

My rotation went from Marble Madness (multicade thing) -> DDR X -> SN2 -> SSFIV -> BM5 -> 3rd Strike. Raiden is gone, so that sucks. :[

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:05 am

The USA pads are meh. They're playable, but if you're the type that gets upset over "pad misses", I can't recommend playing it. SN2 is definitely way better, especially SN2 1P.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Chad can I come live with you February 18th/19th when there's the big SSF4/MvC3 tourney at Tilt?

Thanks in advance.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Diamondback1996 wrote:Oops, it slipped my mind that hard=fun and easy=the game is broken.

Sorry.
I will just mention that a big part of a game's "fun" value comes from competitiveness, and the "easier" a game is the less competitive it is. For example, in big didder tournaments now-a-days the winner is determined by one or two greats, something that you may feel you have little control over.

ITG is awesome because instead of playing for Score or FA/PA you can play for STAMINA instead. Beat your opponent by picking something they can't pass, or challenge yourself by passing a very hard song because you pushed yourself. Pushing yourself on a easy 9 footer get's you the same amount of excellents or greats.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1LW1KH6 ... r_embedded

This is a video of a glitch on an X2 machine that lets you use the buttons as the pads. Could someone try this on the X machine?

Edit: and speaking of X2, Betson is offering to lease new X2s at $66/week. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2351933/b24cd46 ... 120dpi.jpg

The X could be replaced with this. It has much better pads, AFAIK (X2 hasn't been out for long, so it is unknown how well the pads withstand daily usage).

Just FYI, the pads do not look like that. The pads are about the same dimensions as the old pads, with the style of X's pads. Everything else seems the same though... I wonder why they used an image of the Japanese pads...

Edit 2: Here's the page where the image comes from: http://www.betson.com/financial_service ... php?id=181

Edit 3: So, the BM5th machine is running now? So, what would its condition be?

Blacktop
Standard
Standard

Post by Blacktop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 am

Michael and I ran this by the boss and he's on board for giving IndyDDR members double gameplay every Friday. The boss has a system of card distribution for members which I'm not really clear on yet, and I'll let you guys know as soon as it's more clear...

But basically this means come put $10 on your card, you get $20 of credits. Every Friday. =]
I'm old now

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 am

DAVE101 wrote:
Diamondback1996 wrote:Oops, it slipped my mind that hard=fun and easy=the game is broken.

Sorry.
I will just mention that a big part of a game's "fun" value comes from competitiveness, and the "easier" a game is the less competitive it is. For example, in big didder tournaments now-a-days the winner is determined by one or two greats, something that you may feel you have little control over.

ITG is awesome because instead of playing for Score or FA/PA you can play for STAMINA instead. Beat your opponent by picking something they can't pass, or challenge yourself by passing a very hard song because you pushed yourself. Pushing yourself on a easy 9 footer get's you the same amount of excellents or greats.
That, sir, is your own personal opinion. Meeting and hanging out with cool people has always been the #1 attraction of the game for me. Competition, for the most part, has actually been one of the most boring parts. Tournaments, in particular, tend to be these drawn out, multihour affairs to determine what everyone already knew at the beginning.

As far as stamina is concerned, stamina challenges rarely resemble anything I would consider fun as I have gotten older. DDR has kept me in reasonably good shape all these years, but the likes of even MAX300 is already quite a stamina challenge for me...and frankly, I'm ok with that. I don't have any desire to pass the new 13-footer of the week. Most of the time I'm freestyling and expending a 8 or 9-foot's worth of energy on a 4 or 5-foot song.

On the occasions when I do just play regularly (not freestyling), there are certainly things in the game that are too easy for me and I find boring. But I am perfectly satisfied just playing mid-level charts that are maybe 60-80% of my ability most of the time. It's fun for me whether or not I'm being challenged or competing with someone else.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Blacktop wrote:Michael and I ran this by the boss and he's on board for giving IndyDDR members double gameplay every Friday. The boss has a system of card distribution for members which I'm not really clear on yet, and I'll let you guys know as soon as it's more clear...

But basically this means come put $10 on your card, you get $20 of credits. Every Friday. =]

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:30 pm

I really hope you get X2. The X's pads are just bad, and it's the design, because you've been working hard on them. Here's an example: I can play my SUNKiSS DROP edit (a 12- same as the Expert chart, but it's somewhat harder) and FC it, and then I can play Put Em Up Expert and fail it. Getting a new X2 would make it easier to solve these problems.

Also, edit mode is enabled by default, so you wouldn't have to re-enable it. Although, maybe you could look in the options to see if there's an option to enable character selection (if you didn't know, characters are like SN1 in X2; they are always random. It's like this because character selection is now e-Amuse only.). Konami may have put an option for this in the game at the last minute.

Anyway, I have one of those cards. I need to get to TiLT on a Friday, though...

Blacktop
Standard
Standard

Post by Blacktop » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Got some time this morning for maintenance on the Supernova 2 machine. I addressed issues with the sticking left and up arrows on the 1P side, and fixed the insensitivity of the right arrow on the 2P side. SN2 should be back to 100% after these fixes. =]
I'm old now

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 pm

I have an idea for the USA machine that would make it more popular: upgrade it to EXTREME.

You don't even have to have an Extreme upgrade kit, there's an EXTREME SM simulation that's identical to EXTREME, and probably sounds and looks better due to better sound and graphics from the PS2 version. Also, it could be a mix-changing machine this way; one week it could be EXTREME, and the next it could be oITG. It could also simulate recent DDR games to an extent. I'm working on a simfile pack and theme, maybe you could put it on there too? I also know some other simfile makers that could contribute to this machine. Also, make sure to have USB ports for edits if you do this. :)

Edit: Make sure to have it on a scedule, mainly so Dave doesn't rage when his ITG isn't running.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeah 'cause I would drive downtown, spend money on gas and parking, to play ITG on an old upgrade when there are three hacked dedicabs within 15 minutes from me...

RAGE

Blacktop
Standard
Standard

Post by Blacktop » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I've pitched the idea of making it a changeable mix before, but I think what I heard was that upgrading USA requires a hardware upgrade, and it isn't able to just upgrade with software like you can the later mixes. I don't know this for fact, though. Brian can probably give me the 411 here. I like that idea though. Reminds me of Westside Fun Park. If it's something that's possible I'll pitch it to the boss.

The problem with asking Tilt corporate for things is that they aren't interested in buying something new, but more willing to send us stuff that's already in inventory. It's more likely for them to have upgrade CDs in inventory than new machines, so that might actually be plausible. o_O
I'm old now