Potentially good news...Dave & Buster's in Indy

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Potentially good news...Dave & Buster's in Indy

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Well, OK. If you say so. At this point, everything is all second-hand information and I'm simply going to trust none of it. I generally don't take anything some random person on Youtube says as "proof". It's a claim - nothing more.

This pretty much flies in the face of the way all the older PIU games were done. The cabinets weren't as solid as, say, a Japanese DDR cabinet (which you might be able to push off the side of a cliff and still use), but everything generally worked pretty well. The quality of the sensors has always varied. They seem to source them from several vendors and just randomly pick them out of a pile and install them willy nilly. Many machines required disconnecting a sensor since it would stick. The remaining three were always sufficient for use. Of course, it's entirely possible that they've changed...everything since then. Even the new Japanese Konami DDR stages (which are far superior to the US ones) are differently built than the old ones, though they apparently actually work.

At this point, I have difficulty getting worked up over the perceived quality of arcade dance games. The arcade scene is so dead (in general) at this point that it's a wonder they're still selling them in the US market at all. The price pressure has to be absurd, which is probably why the quality is gone.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:16 pm

One of these days I want to get a DDR machine... Hell, it could be unplayable for all I care, as long as it can be fixed.

To be honest, I now wouldn't be surprised if the X at Tilt is the newest machine in the whole chain! :lol:

yindesu
Standard
Standard

Post by yindesu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:42 pm

The problem isn't the quality of the sensors, it's the pad / panel design, which is a literally more painful problem for players.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:08 am

Is it really stiff or does it just not work? PIU stages (old design) do have a tendency to be quite bouncy, which is good. The flat surface, if done correctly (i.e. "it works well"), would seem to be LESS painful, though it might cause problems with knowing where you are during play. I haven't had the chance to tear apart one of the new design stages. The old ones are effectively identical to DDR with some incremental improvements.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

yindesu
Standard
Standard

Post by yindesu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 am

This is what new international pads are like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxXbsFM0btA
It's misleading because the down arrows are MORE sensitive than the up arrows - it's much worse than that video suggests.

(Chinese pads are sensitive everywhere, even the corners where bracketless pads are supposed to be less sensitive. And the panels look like they have some kind of flex to them if you're watching, but when you're playing it feels like the surface isn't actually giving way. It also doesn't hurt like international pads because you don't have to stomp. I really don't know how to explain it but I miss Chinese Pump.)

Of course, old-style pads are still - D&B's left side is kind of perfect (unless you're shifting weight on some freeze arrows, I've gotten some misses before that I think I shouldn't have) but it doesn't compare to the pads I played on in Shanghai at 风云再起.

yindesu
Standard
Standard

Post by yindesu » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 pm

ummmmmmmmmm okay so the machine doesn't freeze 2 songs every other game now. It still does tend to lock up for a second in the first 10 seconds of random songs (Happened about 2 or 3 times over ~2 hours).

You guys know how there's this lag spike in Rave Until The Night is Over? right at the 400 combo mark?

http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewp ... reid=15197

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:19 pm

The DnB in Orlando has an X2 now... this could mean they're spreading them throughout the chain or it's just that location.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Shocking. I've never heard of any D&B having DDR of any kind. I've always known them to be exclusively Pump.

yindesu
Standard
Standard

Post by yindesu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:06 am

According to Ziv, there are 10 D&B's with DDR. (http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcadelocations.php)

Most of them are awful Betson X cabinets. I would have thought D&B was smarter than buying a bunch of equally awful Betson X2 cabinets...

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:50 am

If the cabinet makes money, it is a quality machine in their eyes.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:58 am

Given that the management at the local one call the Pump It Up "DDR", I'm guessing most of the company has no idea that there's even a difference, and PIU has historically been cheaper.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Probably true. But I was under the impression that D&B had some sort of exclusive arrangement with Andamiro similar to Chuck E. Cheese. Apparently that is no longer the case--if it ever was to begin with.

yindesu
Standard
Standard

Post by yindesu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm

So they didn't really upgrade from Pro 2 to Fiesta EX, right? (referring to that Pump Haven troll/idiot locations updater)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:07 pm

As of last Wednesday when I was there...no.

yindesu
Standard
Standard

Post by yindesu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Still Pro 2.

Also I think some of the P1's right sensors are dying. I had trouble holding freezes with those two arrows on both nightmare and cz.