SuperNova 2 at Gameworks

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm

when did you play it? i'm pretty sure the timing had tighter windows.. or else i really suck.. or it was offsync >_<

neutered is rite :(

what is E-Amuse !?
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:when did you play it? i'm pretty sure the timing had tighter windows.. or else i really suck.. or it was offsync >_<

neutered is rite :(

what is E-Amuse !?
I got to play it last week shortly after it was posted on here as I went to my drill center to fix a couple of admin issues. Also, I have the Japanese console release of DDR Supernova 2 which I've hacked to match arcade timing. (I've posted some information related to this in the DDR section.)

E-Amuse is an online system that Konami uses to track scores, unlock songs over time or for certain events, and patches the machine as necessary. The system is widely available in Japan, but currently only 1 arcade in the US (Brunswick Zone in Naperville, IL) has E-Amuse capabilities on their machine.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:49 pm

e-amuse is the internet linking network Konami runs in Japan. It gets used for all sorts of games, but the Bemani titles are a major part of it. Functionality varies by game, but at the minimum it allows you to save high scores (you purchase a card to identify yourself, like for Initial D), and it also automatically posts scores to their internet ranking pages.

For most of the new Bemani titles, unlocks are also being pushed out solely over e-amuse. As of a few versions ago, they were still issuing unlock codes for pop'n music, since there are a number of lone pop'n machines not on e-amuse, but for none of the other Bemani titles. I'm not sure they are even still doing that. Most of the other mainstream Bemani games (IIDX, GF, DM, and now DDR) would be on e-amuse.

Some games allow some pretty neat functionality. For example, on pop'n music, you can real-time expert battle somebody who may be halfway across Japan. Scores are updated in real time so you can see how you're doing. On GF/DM, you can session with somebody who is remote, too. IIDX allows some really, really cool rival functions, similar to how the CS versions work, but using the entire pool of e-amuse players as potential rivals. The ghost functions even work.

However, since the only Bemani game that officially exists in the USA and sees releases of the new versions at this time is DDR, a e-amuse network has not yet been opened up in the USA. Even if it is, there's some hurdles to jump to get machines on it. Most US DDR machines are at locations with terrible/intermittent or absolutely no internet connectivity. Also, Konami asks for a revenue share of everything the machine takes in, and the US arcade market is such that giving up any revenue is really tough for most venues. Also, any games running Japanese software or out-of-date software would not be able to get on e-amuse, either.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 pm

MonMotha wrote:e-amuse is the internet linking network Konami runs in Japan. It gets used for all sorts of games, but the Bemani titles are a major part of it. Functionality varies by game, but at the minimum it allows you to save high scores (you purchase a card to identify yourself, like for Initial D), and it also automatically posts scores to their internet ranking pages.

For most of the new Bemani titles, unlocks are also being pushed out solely over e-amuse. As of a few versions ago, they were still issuing unlock codes for pop'n music, since there are a number of lone pop'n machines not on e-amuse, but for none of the other Bemani titles. I'm not sure they are even still doing that. Most of the other mainstream Bemani games (IIDX, GF, DM, and now DDR) would be on e-amuse.

Some games allow some pretty neat functionality. For example, on pop'n music, you can real-time expert battle somebody who may be halfway across Japan. Scores are updated in real time so you can see how you're doing. On GF/DM, you can session with somebody who is remote, too. IIDX allows some really, really cool rival functions, similar to how the CS versions work, but using the entire pool of e-amuse players as potential rivals. The ghost functions even work.

However, since the only Bemani game that officially exists in the USA and sees releases of the new versions at this time is DDR, a e-amuse network has not yet been opened up in the USA. Even if it is, there's some hurdles to jump to get machines on it. Most US DDR machines are at locations with terrible/intermittent or absolutely no internet connectivity. Also, Konami asks for a revenue share of everything the machine takes in, and the US arcade market is such that giving up any revenue is really tough for most venues. Also, any games running Japanese software or out-of-date software would not be able to get on e-amuse, either.
o.O?
I'm prettier than you :)