Bloomington has DDR Supernova!!!!!

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:25 pm

blackcat24 wrote: You are a n00b. ^__^
Careful, orcs eat cats. Even skinny lil blackcats that would barely make a good appetizer before a real meal!

:[> <]

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Awesome, once (or if) those ports are fixed then we can update the machine to a more concurrent revision.
There should be two different options for joint premium and one credit doubles. Go for the one credit doubles, putting joint premium on will make the arcade lose some of that phat cash they're after and I'm sure they don't want that.

Oh, and thanks for the free game 8)
Careful, orcs eat cats. Even skinny lil blackcats that would barely make a good appetizer before a real meal!

hawt

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:01 am

Merk wrote:Awesome, once (or if) those ports are fixed then we can update the machine to a more concurrent revision.
There should be two different options for joint premium and one credit doubles. Go for the one credit doubles, putting joint premium on will make the arcade lose some of that phat cash they're after and I'm sure they don't want that.

Oh, and thanks for the free game 8)

hawt
You're welcome for the free game, and ignore that n00bish orc guy. He doesn't know what he's talking about ~.-

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Apparently the new timing/synching patch for Supernova will be installed at Great-X-Scape later this evening. New things in patch, aside from the timing and synch problems being corrected, are two new songs:

Flow (True Style Mix), which is from what I hear is just the original Flow on there with silly BPM doubling changes in spots.

Fascination ~eternal love mix~, a 2MB remix of Fascination Maxx that operates as a second boss song when you get Extra Stage. Not that I'll probably ever be able to pass this song, but the groove radar for it looks rather ridiculous.

See the voltage and stream? Just plain silly.

The patch, from what I can tell, basically changes the machine into a translated version of the Japanese release, as the Extra Stage boss song no longer pops up at the end of the New Konami Originals section (the purple songs), but rather at the very end of the song list (before Random and Roulette), which is a key difference between our version and theirs.

From what I hear, the timing is a bit more loose in this update (Extreme timing is what I hear, but I've also heard it might be a tad looser than that even), which is fine and all, but for the songs that are actually synched correctly, I thought the timing was fine. *shrugs*

I've also heard a nasty rumor of Red Zone's synching becoming rather early. If that's true, I'm marching to Japan (through the mountains and ocean and everything), busting into Konami HQ, and I'm crackin' skulls. :evil:

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:46 pm

So I actually went and played a game of patched Supernova this evening before I left for the weekend. It's a mixed bag from what I can tell (in one game, mind you). Some of the songs that were really broken, like murmur twins and You're Not Here, got fixed nicely. They even revamped murmur twins' steps so that they're actually kinda fun.

However, two songs I did horribly on, and these two make me wonder if they broke more than they fixed. Now... this COULD be attributed to the fact that I wasn't wearing good diddering shoes and I was a tad fatigued, but I played Wookie Wookie and The Shining Polaris. I've gotten 2g on Wookie Wookie (avg = 10-15g) and 3-4g (avg = a low-SDG) on The Shining Polaris before, but post-patch? 65g on Wookie Wookie and 16g on The Shining Polaris. Kind of silly.

I tried the new Fascination ~eternal love mix~ extra stage as well. It's kinda fun from the 15-20 seconds I played completely new to it. Certainly seems more doable than Fascination Maxx from what I can tell... at least in the beginning, anyway. God knows what hell lies onward to have made that scary looking groove radar.

Oh, and one more minor minor thing...

The high scores were wiped after the update. That makes me a saaaaaaaad panda. =(

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:47 pm

That took freaking forever to get that thing installed....as we were about to install it we took the back panel off and I told him "I heard this thing is run off of a ps2 that was takin apart" and he was takeing the screws off the CD access panel and he said "I don't believe that" he slid the access panel open and started laughing and what do you know there isn't a ps2 that is takin apart....it is a fully assembled ps2 sitting in there...
I didn't believe it but it is true...and I actually notice a diffenece with this new install...it seems to run smoother and even I noticed the timing was better.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:05 pm

haha, all the scores got deleted? Sweet, now I get to go and get all the songs again. Well, not all of them, but some. What makes me a sad panda is not having any high scores :(

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:20 am

lgolem wrote:what do you know there isn't a ps2 that is takin apart....it is a fully assembled ps2 sitting in there...
You might be surprised to learn what hardware is inside a lot of arcade games of the past decade or so. Many games' hardware is not as foreign as you might expect.

For reference, DDR Extreme and prior run on Playstation-based hardware. It's not as overtly obvious that it's Playstation, but that's what it is.

Pump It Up runs on a PC. It's in a custom metal box, but it's unmisakably PC hardware.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:14 am

I actually didn't know about the earlier DDRs were run off of a PS not to surprised though....but I was so surprised that it was just fully assembled like that...like you could disconnect it and use it as a ps2 on your TV if you wanted too to play Devil may cry or something like that. I knew that Pump was ran off the PC unit, and I just assumed DDR was ran off PC units too.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:23 am

Hey.... I wonder if you could get one of those to play standard PS2 games on the SN machine. I'm sure it would take a bit or tweaking, and I doubt anyone would let you do it, but in theory it could be possible... :roll:
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 am

actually....I didn't see like a PS2 menu or loading screen so I don't think so....it acted as though the PS2 was running parallel to a computer or something....

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:09 am

It sounds like they're running directly off the hdd, which leads me to believe that the PS2 itself is likely to be hacked. However, granted that the input/output cables from the PS2 are all standard, you should be able to put any old PS2 in there and make it run. The only issue with that would be the interface for the pads and controls.

As I said, I'm sure it would take a bit of hackery, but I'm guessing you could make it work without too much trouble. Of course, why anyone would want to do so is another issue.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:27 am

WhiteDragon wrote:As I said, I'm sure it would take a bit of hackery, but I'm guessing you could make it work without too much trouble. Of course, why anyone would want to do so is another issue.
Why wouldn't you want to?

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:38 am

Haha! I stand corrected! :lol:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Between that picture and "Mortal Kombat 2DX" I'm not sure what belongs in an arcade cabinet and what doesn't anymore...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.