Pump Exceed

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Pump Exceed

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:37 pm

Classic Lanes Bowling here in town. I dunno the price, but I'm going there tonight.

I'm mad excited for some pump action!

dc_slaughter
Light
Light

Post by dc_slaughter » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:08 pm

There is a youth group in Carmel with their own site, called North Beach. Its on 131st street. It has a pump exceed. It's free to play!!! I play sometimes, I'm not as good as I am DDR wise.
The youngest phenomenon to EVER hit IndyDDR! Not really...but some people may remember me...

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pump Exceed

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:31 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Classic Lanes Bowling here in town. I dunno the price, but I'm going there tonight.
This may be the best news I've heard all day. I anxiously await your report. I'd love to get my feet on some Pump action on a version that doesn't suck and a machine that doesn't suck in a location that's not hours away. Hopefully, with a little luck, this will be it!

I am vibrating with excitement. Yes, that's right...vibrating!

And if you've never seen a vibrating Ho...well, let me assure you that it's significant.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:26 pm

*falls out of chair*

*gets back up*

This is exactly what I needed to jump start my lagging interest in Bemani!

:D :D :D :D :D

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:42 pm

hmm 1 1/2 hours to go to FT.Wayne for ITG, or 1 hour to Bloomington for PIU EX... HARD CHOICE!

I'll be coming down soon I guess to play :(

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:05 am

Ok, here's the scoop. It is inface pump exceed.

It's in the arcade (duh), the pads seem fine, as I only had a few miss steps all night.

50 cents per play
3 songs per play (I always got a bonus stage though... no idea if that's like the extra stage or not, but I had it every time I played)

It was also 97 cent draft night, so I'm a lil but tipsy. Pump + Booze is a winning combo in my book.

Anyway the place has great hours, open til 1:00 every night I think. Props to Shannon who knew about this but never said anything.

1421 North Willis Drive Bloomington,Indiana 812-332-6689

"HIT ME!"

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:05 pm

Oh, also the machine dificulty seems really high. You can fail a song with just a few misses.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:50 pm

Just got back from playing --- WOW!!!
A few more tidbits --- the alley is just off of 17th street, on the west side. The bowling alley is open until 1AM every day (nice!) and opens at noon most days and 9AM some days.

I think it must give you a bonus stage no matter what, so really its 4 songs per game. Double is the same price as single (it's FREESTYLE mode), but the difficulty starts pretty high.

Oh, and the timing window is pretty big --- nothing like getting a black flag on the first time you play a song :lol: (on Easy mode though...)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:54 pm

I'd imagine that Pump being PC-based hardware that the timing windows are probably fairly large to accomodate the inherent latency in a PC-based system.

I'm glad to hear good things about this machine. I'm really looking forward to an opportunity to head down to Bloomington to try it!

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Just off 17th St... west side of town...

Crap, this place is probably right by my apartment. o_O

I'ma gonna have to check this out now.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Anyone up for a group trip tomorrow night?

I'm so excited about this you have no idea.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:50 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Anyone up for a group trip tomorrow night?

I'm so excited about this you have no idea.
Secef and I have class until 7ish, but I'd be willing to check it out afterwards.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:53 pm

I went to the bowling alley earlier, caught Merk there before he left. Pretty fun stuff, I must say. One neat thing to note was that I played my first game with Merk, and we both "AAA"ed the first song of the set, although it just said S like PIU does and it was only on normal difficulty. I played about 5 more games after he left. I played some old favorite like Csikopost, Vook, Beethoven's Virus, Slam, and Final Audition pt.2, but I also checked out some fun new songs (new to me at least) like Get Up (I think that's what it was called... a remix of Ode to Joy I think), Turkey March, Pump Me Amadeus, and Final Audition pt.3. Great stuff.

Two minor complaints about my experience tonight though. Number 1) Air conditioning. The air conditioning was terrible. I was sweating buckets in that short period of time. Number 2) This one little kid. He's more of a variable that could be at any arcade honestly, but this was quite possibly the most hyperactive kid I've ever seen. He was running in place in bowling shoes, screaming random things that'd pop up on the screen, jump up/lay down on the opposite side of the stage, climb up the free throw game's cage, try to destroy the racing game next to PIU, and just... he was everywhere. And his parents didn't care about any of it! Incredible.

ANYWAY... I could easily be enticed to go back to the bowling alley sometime after 7:30 tomorrow night (that's when I get finished with classes and am within reach of my car). A/C be damned, PIU is pretty damn fun. Pretty cheap too in this case. :D

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:36 am

Anyone up for a group trip tomorrow night?
Yeah I'm up for a group trip if anyone is willing to supply a ride. Anytime after 11:30AM is fine for me.

Anyway, it should be noted that Pump It Up is significantly harder than DDR. I would however, attribute most of it's difficulty to the learning curve that DDR players must endure. There are far more turns (or double-stepping if you don't know how to do the turns in Pump It Up, like myself) and there is no option for "vivid" which in turn makes it difficult to determine the beat each arrow is placed on and also makes jumps more difficult to distinguish from 1/16 and faster patterns.

In my opinion the music is pretty terrible, but that's just a subjective opinion although I would be surprised to find a person who genuinely enjoys K-Pop. Additionally, although I'm not entirely positive on Pump It Up's default difficulty, the machine at this particular arcade seems to punish the player quite a bit whenever he/she misses an arrow and the life bar recovers rather slowly. Overall I'd say the game is a nice diversion to the standard four arrow patterns of DDR and In The Groove but it's nothing I would want to dedicate too much of my time to playing.

EDIT: In regards to Secef's post, that kid was indeed a little crack baby. At least through examples of failed parenting I can prevent my future kids from being hyperactive sugar-worshippers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:08 am

Here's the plan.
Around 8:45ish, I'm picking up some people to play some DDR at lazer lite for a bit. Then by 10:00ish I'll migrate to Classic Lanes for Pump.

If anyone needs a ride, my cell is 812-219-4061. I plan on being out late (just a warning) but I can pick whoever up before Lazer Lite or on the way to Pump.

I also got a AAA on normal when I played. That's my 3rd pump AAA. Heh. I also like how I never get bad grades. Its an S, A, or Fail. Nothing else.

Hope to see you guys there.