Great X Scape, College Mall, Bloomington

Discussion of arcades and other gaming locations with music/rhythm games

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:29 am

lgolem wrote:-Our Turkey Hunter cabinet is getting stripped of Turkey Hunter and will be converted to Street Fighter 3rd Strike, we have the PCB board, buttons, joysticks in the office, we are waiting for a Kick harness (the wires that hook up to the kick buttons) which will be in probably Monday.
Can you leave the Turkey Hunter gun so you can shoot your opponent's character?
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:11 pm

TAKE THAT KEN, DO THE SHORYUKEN AGAIN!!!!!

No you can't :D sadly

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:38 pm

So of the updates I posted, Lethal Enforcers 1 is still no there, we have 3rd Strike and wires and buttons, just have yet to hook everythin up since we need a drill press to drill holes for buttons. BUT

We now have Beatmania IIDX 8th Style in the arcade...the price is 3 tokens for 1 player, 2 more tokens will get a 2nd player in or doubles.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:24 am

lgolem wrote:We now have Beatmania IIDX 8th Style in the arcade...the price is 3 tokens for 1 player, 2 more tokens will get a 2nd player in or doubles.
Helloooooo lunch break :lol:

But, 3 tokens is a bit steep :shock: I'd play doubles if I could get it in for $1.

EDIT: I suck at Beatmania doubles, so I'd probably only have about 1 or 2 songs I could pass on it anyway :cry:
Last edited by malictus on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 am

HOT. I can't come in Wed. but I will try to head out Thursday or something

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:12 pm

It's good! The only grievance I have is that the machine difficulty is much much higher than default. Even with normal gauge you'll lose an abnormal amount of meter with each miss, even if the miss happened in a chord.

aaaaaand the song select time is really short, I felt rushed when I was browsing through the songs. But hey, both of these can be changed in the operator menu.

The controller is fine though and the turntable spins well! MonMotha got a great deal.

EDIT: I'm curious as to where this machine originally came from? The scores on it already are pretty dang good. I was only able to creep into 5th place for the Trance expert course.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:35 pm

I was there to help him set it up last night. Actually, the difficulty is on the default setting of 4. If you're comparing it to Ft. Wayne, I think it was actually set quite a bit lower than the default--perhaps even all the way down at 1. It's been awhile since I've fired up the actual arcade hardware, so I can't remember off the top of my head.

As for the song select time...we thought it was pretty short, too. We sifted through the operator menus to find a setting for it and came up empty. Sorry.

The turntables and I spent some quality time with some Windex to get them nice and spinny. The aftermath had my hands looking like I had worked on my car. They were pretty much as gross as the ones from Ft. Wayne--full of gunk and Coke.

Last night's goal was mostly to get it set up and playable. I think Brandon is going to go back and do some more cleanup work. Fortunately everything generally seemed to be in working order.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:45 pm

Hmmm, I thought the default level was 3? The console version's default level is 3 with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. I've never looked into the IIDX operator settings, so you're probably right. Interesting though that the arcade would have a different difficulty setting.

And yes the level on Ft. Wayne's 4th style was definitely set to 1, playing with easy gauge made clearing the hardest anothers a breeze.

You guys did a good job cleaning it up, it's not as pristine as Ho's machine but functionally it's perfect. Thanks to Brandon and GXS!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:50 pm

I'm excited to play! I promise I will kill anybody that even smudges it.

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:03 pm

Check it out today. An honestly i couldnt find anything wrong with it, other than the bg videos and the song select time. Oh and all the lights dont light up :-p. None of which effect the playing quality. THIS LOCATION IS HOT! jk. But seriously, go play some iidx. I <3 8th.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:11 pm

The difficulty is at whatever it says the default is. That's probably a good place to keep it. The difficulty should show on the title screen in one of the corners (lower left, IIRC). As much as I'd also like the song selection time to be higher, I don't think it can be increased. It does give you a little longer in Free mode.

As for background videos, they aren't likely to work. The player is dead, as is the case on many, many machines. It's not even hooked up right now since a black area is a lot less distracting than a screen that says "DISC READING" with an animated spinning disc.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:43 am

Very sexy machine. Great fun to play on. I'm not how much longer I'm going to be willing to put in .75 cents per game though. It puts a hole in my wallet rather quickly.

Only other small gripe I have is the coin mech. I played about 6 or 7 games, and the machine ate two of my tokens and one of Rico's. I know you had to do some finagling to get the thing working, but expect the arcade op to get a lot of complaints.

How long is it going to stick around anyway?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:32 am

If you take advantage of token deals (and let's face it, you'll be there to play various games often enough that you can), you can easily get it down to 60 cents a game, and I think (I'd have to check the GXS deals again) that you can actually get it below 50 cents a game. Doubles below a dollar is also possible.

The coin system is being worked on. It shouldn't eat coins (as in take the coin but give you no credit), but I can imagine it jams up sometimes.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00 am

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:25 pm

I've never heard of an 8th style machine with working videos. Just one of those things. It really isnt that expensive either, and I can play iidx for an hour for a lot cheaper than a lot of other stuff.