Merk's Drum Mania progress thread

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Merk's Drum Mania progress thread

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Making this thread so in 5 years when I'm awesome at this game I can look back and laugh at how bad I was. In that regard it's a lot like the Beatmania Accomplishments thread.

Anyway, I can't for the life of me clear Children's Sketchbook on Basic and it is frustrating beyond belief but god damn is it fun to play. Other than that the rating system is a little messed up to say the least, I can clear high 30s / low 40s consistently but anything beyond that is a complete guess. Sometimes I'll crush a 55 but fail miserably on a 42.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Merk's Drum Mania progress thread

Post by MonMotha » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:02 pm

What version? There's rather large variability in how the rating numbers map to actual relative difficulty across the versions in the series. For example, 5th Mix is fairly "easy", while 10th is fairly "hard", but V4 is a little easier (but not as easy as 5th).

Guitar Freaks did the same thing. I can clear some 90+ on 6th, but I'm doing well to clear a 50-60 on 11th and am usually limited to the 40s.

The scale does seem to be more "internally consistent", as the series has gone on. That is, I've found that the relative difficulty of a chart is more closely related to the difficulty rating and how it compares to other charts and their difficulty ratings than in the past. Basically, they've gotten better at rating things, in my opinion.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm

This would be Percussion Freaks 9th mix with a fake Drum Mania 9th mix marquee.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Cleared Children's Sketchbook on basic twice yesterday!

Horribly failed Jet World on expert

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:27 am

too cool for school

you'll be up to expert in no time and play dragonforce songs on a real drum kit

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 am

Man I suck at this game. I've always had this weird problem when I played the drums for real where my right hand would want to do whatever my foot was doing for the bass (and vice versa) which made weird syncopated rhythms really hard for me. It's like I have some weird mental association where I can't separate what my right hand and foot are doing.

Blah, I just need to practice more I guess. I need to learn how to read charts as they come and not think too much about the rhythm which will help me mentally separate my extremities.

My goal right now is to be able to clear Destiny Lovers on EXT consistently by the end of February. I'm still flakey on Children's Sketchbook on BAS but I was able to clear it once out of the two times I played it yesterday.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:17 pm

Merk wrote:It's like I have some weird mental association where I can't separate what my right hand and foot are doing.
I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 am

I finally irked out a B on Children's Sketchbook [BAS] and I can pass it nearly all the time now.

Still no progress on Destiny Lovers [EXT] and I can't pass that god damn Orange Lounge long song on Expert no matter how hard I try.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

I failed my goal of passing Destiny Lovers [EXT] in case anyone cares. I can get an A on Children's Sketchbook [BAS] fairly easily now though!

I'd like to get V6 or whatever in my cabinet sometime in April. What all do I need for this? Brandon can you make an I/O board with working lights and shit? What video output am I going to need for my monitor?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm

FYI, I'm going to try to take the drum portion off so I can move the cab inside. I'm hoping it is as simple as removing a few screws. Guess we'll find out.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Merk wrote:Brandon can you make an I/O board with working lights and shit? What video output am I going to need for my monitor?
Something like that can be arranged. Give me a call or something. Video isn't too terribly difficult.
Fluffyumpkins wrote:FYI, I'm going to try to take the drum portion off so I can move the cab inside. I'm hoping it is as simple as removing a few screws. Guess we'll find out.
Remove 4 bolts (hex socket head) on outside of cabinet along the top of the side areas. See if that frees it. It should just pull out the front. Disconnect all internal cables from the drum rack to the amp box first. If not, then there are 4 more on the inside that are a pain to get to.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:22 pm

MonMotha wrote: Something like that can be arranged. Give me a call or something. Video isn't too terribly difficult.
K, we can chit-chat about it this weekend. How much money should I throw at you for providing me with fancy I/O boards? Just trying to know how much I should take out of the ATM!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 am

I cleared Little Prayer [ADV] which is like a 74 so either that song is horribly misrated or I got lucky. Either way it's an okay accomplishment!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am

After Chad's Jap night about a week ago I cleared Chocolate Philosphy on Expert which is a ballin' 67 or something like that.

I also cleared たまゆら on Advanced which is a 64 I believe.

Shit I also got one of the One More Extra Stages which is a song called Model DD5. I fucked up and could not clear the Basic chart.

Slowly but surely I am making progress! MonMotha I realllllllly want that I/O board for V6 and I will keep bringing it up until my boner for bringing it up goes away. I will give you all the moneys.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Cleared Tierra Beuna on Expert which is somewhere in the mid 60s. I really hate the end section of this chart.

Cleared Jet Love on Expert by bullshitting the bass drum (aka stomping on the pedal at each eighth note because I dun give a fuck). The chart is rated a 73.

Full Combo'd the early part of Chocolate Philosophy but then my hands decided to tard it up and I inexplicably failed it before the song's bridge.

I still have a boner for an I/O board that would allow me to play a more contemporary version of this video game.