Ho's Humility Thread

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:38 pm

dance1005 wrote:
Ho wrote: Meanwhile, you can revel in the fact that you can soundly stomp someone with twice, three times, ... , maybe ten times more experience in these games. ;)
Try (>) 12 times. Lol, sorry, had to say it. ;)

And, as for a challenge, pass PSM. Not Oni, just Heavy. You can do it :).
Thank you for reinforcing one of the themes of this thread:

Experience ≠ Skill

As for PSMH...I'll see what I can do. To give you some perspective, I think I've only passed Maxx Unlimited once...barely (D or C--can't remember). I have never passed LoM Heavy or Paranoia Survivor or PSM on Heavy. And even at my peak, I was only able to pass MAX300 maybe one out of every four times (and only with maybe a C). Admittedly, I haven't tried any of those very many times, but my current stamina is, quite simply, not at its peak either.
Last edited by Ho on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Ho wrote:
SoDeepPolaris wrote:It's about on par with P-Respect. And not even close to Fascination now. Ugh I hate that song, they just made a rediculous song so they could compete with ITG.
Ho wrote:widely regarded as the most difficult song/difficulty in Extreme and probably the whole series prior to SuperNOVA.
To clarify, 'series' was referring to the Japanese arcade series and does not include non-Japanese, home, or unofficial releases (Stepmania). Also, I specifically stated 'widely regarded' so as not to be confused with 'universally regarded.' YMMV. :)
Psh, just because I don't fully read posts...I'm just glad Respect made it off JPS2 and onto Supernova.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Arka wrote:Since we're discussing Ho's Bemani versatility, here's a challenge someone else gave me that I didn't try 'till today (and still haven't done successfully): beat a song on one Bemani game type with the specialized controller for another. Dualshocks not allowed.

I suspect this would be much easier if I had a Pop'N controller...
Bah, that's easy. It's called pop'nDX, and it'll certainly improve your timing on PNM...or your scratching in IIDX (if you actually try playing PNM with a IIDX controller, you're insane). Unfortunately, the mappings often work out so that you simply cannot play some of the Bemani games with the other controllers. DDR, for example, won't work with plain digital controllers and therefore cannot be played on a Ransai pop'n controller.

Oh, and Ho, it was a D on Unlimited :) I remember you came really close to passing it again, failing it during the final hold (either by a previous miss that hadn't come up yet or an NG on the hold, I don't remember). As for passing PSMH, if you can do PS, put PSMH on Left (I think, either that or Right) and it becomes the same chart as PS for the most part. I wouldn't be surprised if you can do it better now, given that you have been known to play CZ on Pump...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:23 pm

MonMotha wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if you can do it better now, given that you have been known to play CZ on Pump...
I probably would have had a better shot back in the spring or this past winter. I've found that my DDR/PIU stamina is currently absent as I've been almost exclusively freestyling for the past few months. But thanks for the encouragement!

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Ho is a pimp.
...Paradox?
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:10 pm

Since I love the song, get an A or better on "Flash in the Night".

You also have to sing, in your best eurobeat voice, the lyric "Flash in the Night" whenever it is sung/spoken.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:19 pm

MonMotha wrote:
Arka wrote:Since we're discussing Ho's Bemani versatility, here's a challenge someone else gave me that I didn't try 'till today (and still haven't done successfully): beat a song on one Bemani game type with the specialized controller for another. Dualshocks not allowed.

I suspect this would be much easier if I had a Pop'N controller...
Bah, that's easy. It's called pop'nDX, and it'll certainly improve your timing on PNM...or your scratching in IIDX (if you actually try playing PNM with a IIDX controller, you're insane).
Fine, fine. Something other than the PNM/IIDX crossover, then. Though now that you've told me how crazy it is, I feel compelled to try PNM game <-> IIDX controller. What do the remaining two buttons map to - scratch CW and CCW? (Or start and select? Or maybe nothing at all - now THAT would be interesting!)
MonMotha wrote:Unfortunately, the mappings often work out so that you simply cannot play some of the Bemani games with the other controllers. DDR, for example, won't work with plain digital controllers and therefore cannot be played on a Ransai pop'n controller.
That's what makes it a challenge - figuring out what works and what isn't physically (or electronically) possible! :P
MonMotha wrote:Oh, and Ho, it was a D on Unlimited :) I remember...
Further evidence that Brian and MonMotha are in fact joined at the hip. :wink:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Arka wrote:
I don't know any of these games that are played with your hips.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:22 am

Ho wrote:
Arka wrote:
No, no, I meant the fact that he had been present for all the games we were referring to and that he remembered your scores as well as you did. I don't know... it seemed highly entertaining when I first read his reply.

Though that would be interesting to say the least. Let's ELVIS ELVIS REVOLUTION!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:22 pm

Ho wrote: As for PSMH...I'll see what I can do. To give you some perspective, I think I've only passed Maxx Unlimited once...barely (D or C--can't remember). I have never passed LoM Heavy or Paranoia Survivor or PSM on Heavy. And even at my peak, I was only able to pass MAX300 maybe one out of every four times (and only with maybe a C). Admittedly, I haven't tried any of those very many times, but my current stamina is, quite simply, not at its peak either.
Well, okay. Here's my perspective on the "hard" DDR songs:
1)Max 300 is the easiest Max.
2)IMO, LoM is easier than MU, so if you can do MU, you should be able to do LoM.
3)Fact: PSMH is PS on reverse (or right?) and 20 BPM faster, with an extra part near the end that makes it even harder to pass.
4)PSMH is ridiculously easy to pass on first stage...when I did it, I even gave up at one point, then, after noticing how little my bar was going down with all the misses, decided to continue and still passed it.
5) ABOVE ALL, (if you don't do this on hard songs already) bar-rape. Except for maybe the death streams in PS and PSM, there is NOTHING that you would not do better on/save energy on by bar-raping.

Oh, god, now there's gonna be twenty people that are gonna be all like "NUH-UH I DO BETTER WITHOUT THE BAR!!!1!"

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:35 pm

dance1005 wrote:Oh, god, now there's gonna be twenty people that are gonna be all like "NUH-UH I DO BETTER WITHOUT THE BAR!!!1!"
NUH-UH I DO BETTER WITHOUT THE BAR!!!1!

But I'm still not good. So I don't count. :wink:

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Yeah, so Ho beat me out of the Megaplay tournament. =P

I still had fun, because even though I lucked out with the songs I got on Random... I had never seen them before. Pfft, I had to sightread Sakura at the tournament, and I'm glad I just passed. If I can pass it on my first try, sightreading, Sakura shouldn't even be a 10 footer. That's all I have to say. Hehehe.

But I beat Ho out of being "old school" with the DDR Freak shirts. 'Nuff said. =D

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:54 pm

You beat HO out of being old school? :shock:

<bows down>

Ooh! Ooh! Ho! I challenge you! Do this. It's awesome. I want to try it myself, but I'm too wussy to take apart my controller. :P

If it's not immediately obvious what's going on, the guy's wrapped his fingers in tinfoil and is playing on the bare PCB. Notice that he's actually hitting some of the notes (and not just the scratches, either).

It looks like Bemani really CAN be a contact sport.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:23 am

Arka wrote:
Ho wrote:
Arka wrote: Further evidence that Brian and MonMotha are in fact joined at the hip. :wink:
No, no, I meant the fact that he had been present for all the games we were referring to and that he remembered your scores as well as you did. I don't know... it seemed highly entertaining when I first read his reply.

Though that would be interesting to say the least. Let's ELVIS ELVIS REVOLUTION!
I think you realize it, but I just wanted to be clear that this was a joke. ;)
dance1005 wrote:
Ho wrote: As for PSMH...I'll see what I can do. To give you some perspective, I think I've only passed Maxx Unlimited once...barely (D or C--can't remember). I have never passed LoM Heavy or Paranoia Survivor or PSM on Heavy. And even at my peak, I was only able to pass MAX300 maybe one out of every four times (and only with maybe a C). Admittedly, I haven't tried any of those very many times, but my current stamina is, quite simply, not at its peak either.
Well, okay. Here's my perspective on the "hard" DDR songs:
1)Max 300 is the easiest Max.
2)IMO, LoM is easier than MU, so if you can do MU, you should be able to do LoM.
3)Fact: PSMH is PS on reverse (or right?) and 20 BPM faster, with an extra part near the end that makes it even harder to pass.
4)PSMH is ridiculously easy to pass on first stage...when I did it, I even gave up at one point, then, after noticing how little my bar was going down with all the misses, decided to continue and still passed it.
5) ABOVE ALL, (if you don't do this on hard songs already) bar-rape. Except for maybe the death streams in PS and PSM, there is NOTHING that you would not do better on/save energy on by bar-raping.

Oh, god, now there's gonna be twenty people that are gonna be all like "NUH-UH I DO BETTER WITHOUT THE BAR!!!1!"
I generally agree with your ranking assessment on the various 'max' songs. However, you should note that I stated I was never consistent with MAX300--the 'easiest'--even at the peak of my DDR playing abilities, and I don't think I'm all that near to my peak at the present time. Also, my passing of Unlimited was a one-time occurrence and accomplished purely by brute force.

I failed it once by either dropping or mis-timing the final freeze (I can't remember which...but perhaps MonMotha does (he was there :P)). So I battled my way through it on another attmept in an extremely sloppy pass just so that I could say I had.

There was nothing glorious or skillful about it. It was sheer force of will that I kept moving, hoping that I'd hit just enough arrows not to fail.
the gattchoon wrote:Yeah, so Ho beat me out of the Megaplay tournament. =P

I still had fun, because even though I lucked out with the songs I got on Random... I had never seen them before. Pfft, I had to sightread Sakura at the tournament, and I'm glad I just passed. If I can pass it on my first try, sightreading, Sakura shouldn't even be a 10 footer. That's all I have to say. Hehehe.

But I beat Ho out of being "old school" with the DDR Freak shirts. 'Nuff said. =D
I'd blame the random song selection. From what I can tell, I would imagine that in a large enough sample of random sets we would likely split fairly evenly.

And I will gladly bow to your obvious superiority in any and all DDR old-schoolishness. :D

Here we are sporting an extreme generational gap in DDR Freak apparel.
How swell that the camera flash brings out my sweatiness so nicely. You couldn't even see it otherwise. :\
Arka wrote:Ooh! Ooh! Ho! I challenge you! Do this. It's awesome. I want to try it myself, but I'm too wussy to take apart my controller. :P
The ASC is more of a pain to disassemble than the regular controller, so I'm not really inclined to do it unless something was broken...and this little excercise seems like it might bring about such a malfunction. :P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:33 pm

Ok Katy... I'M THROWING DOWN! :P

To warm up/practice for the tournament this past Saturday, I played all the songs (except So Deep) where we were tied or you were beating me. Somehow I logged two SDGs in the process. That never happens! I'm not even certain I've ever gotten an SDG before. If I have, it's only been like one or two. So thank you...for being a source of encouragement that seems to actually be making me better. Hopefully I can return the favor and you'll get the scales tipped back to your side.

Mind you that there were multiple layers of whoring involved in beating some of those scores. I was speed whoring (in some cases, as high as x3) and some songs I had to play 5+ times just to eek out a few more Perfects. You'll notice that the spread on several songs is quite small.

At any rate, I'll have to work on So Deep. I've improved my score, but I still have a long way to go to come anywhere near to catching you.