Ho's Humility Thread

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:32 am

Well, it's only my 2nd day playing doubles and I'm already posting this bit of news.

14 key AAAs:
5.1.1. Normal (On BMUS this is the Hyper notechart)
5.8.8. Normal

7 key AAAs:
Rainbow Rainbow Normal

I also got 8 14 key AAs up on VJarmy. Expect me to put up more scores tomorrow as I'll be playing 9th style and BMUS.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:37 pm

I've been back into L7 for the past couple weeks. I set a strategy for myself that was pretty simple on the surface but translated into a fairly major undertaking.

Basically, I had played very little IIDX for about a year prior to picking it back up again toward the end of this summer. As a result, many of my VJA scores were 12-20+ months old. With all the play I've put in up to this point this year, I have improved tremendously over those old scores. So I decided that I would play every song that had a score prior to 2006.

What I didn't realize was that that meant I'd be playing about half of the entire CS IIDX song inventory...roughly 250+ songs! I've been systematic about it--simply going from one style to the next and replaying the old scores. In about a week and a half, I have completed this process for 4th-8th Styles. I'm currently working on 3rd, and 9th will be next. About 75 songs remain. 10th and RED are both new enough that they generally don't require this process.

I'm noticing a boost of 1-2 letter grades on most songs that I've been playing (accompanied by a frequent boost of 1-2 HS settings ;)). I think that pretty well validates my progression over the past 3 or so months that I've been playing heavily.

I'm still one-handing most songs 5* and under and some 6s. But it seems that all the Doubles play of the past few weeks has significantly improved my two-handed play. Many songs that I never thought I'd pass are now within my abilities.

Longer term goals:
- I'd like to make it into the Combined DJ Points ranking on VJA. There's a 2300 EX point gap to overcome there. That pretty much means that I'll have to start playing either 7-key or 14-key. I haven't quite decided which I'll do first. The latter would improve my rank on the Double ranking, which currently stands at #25.

- I'd love to be able to pass every L7 song. I've got the number down to 15 (many of those are in 9th Style, which I haven't gotten to yet). I don't know if I'll be able to do this, and the imminent release of Happy Sky may set me back even further. Still, it's a goal.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Nice job on the overall improvements in the gameplay. I figured that you would see a jump like that when you switched to double. Happy Sky has some pretty f'ed up songs, but I've seen that with every new release I get much better at the game overall, but HS has some of the hardest songs in the series hands down.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:43 am

Amp Divorax wrote:HS has some of the hardest songs in the series hands down.
Oh swell... :P

I guess I had better hit up those 15 songs I still don't have a pass for before Happy Sky is released. It might be my last, best chance at getting anywhere near 100% L7 passes!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:53 am

Almost...
VJ Army wrote:Light 7: 507 out of 508 - 99.8%
I finished up 3rd Style last night and decided to skip ahead to one of my aforementioned "longer term goals" since it meant only playing 15 songs rather than 42.

I was able to clear all but three of the L7 songs I never had before last night. I kept screwing up the ending of Thunder, Stoic just plain hurt, and I didn't get around to trying Gigadelic.

This morning I easy cleared Thunder on my first attempt, easy cleared Stoic after a couple of attempts, and then cursed a lot at Gigadelic which I was unable to clear after about half a dozen attempts. My score and grade rose almost every try and now stands at a B, but the ending just destroys my bar--even on easy.

Continued whoring might lead me to a clear, but I ran out of time this morning. It'd be cool to get it before next Thursday so I can look at a 100.0% figure--even if for just a few fleeting moments before VJA adds Happy Sky data.

Still, this development puts me quite a bit further along than I ever thought I'd be in this game. Only one song out of 508 that I can't clear, and only 8 of those required me to use easy. I'm gonna call that "not too darn bad."

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:41 pm

So did you succeed? If so, congratulations - that's a monumentally impressive feat.

And if not... what are you waiting for? Master Happy Sky's new songs before DistorteD CS comes out! :D

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:15 am

Unfortunately, no. I never did pass Gigadelic before Happy Sky came out. I got distracted from further attempts.

Also, I don't actually have Happy Sky yet. It should be in the mail on its way to me, but it's just not here yet.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Ho wrote:Unfortunately, no. I never did pass Gigadelic before Happy Sky came out.
There's a reason that I call that song Gigaf*cker, it's cause the damn thing is hard all around, and also is the main reason why I can't pass 8th Dan on RED.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:04 am

Gee...I guess I haven't updated this in ages!

IIDX was my most common topic here as it's been the primary game I've been playing since I started this thread. That continues to be the case. Ironically, however, purchasing a IIDX machine actually interrupted my play for awhile.

Initially, it took a week or two to get the machine into a well-playable condition. And at that point, I was limited to 4th Style AC. That's a somewhat limited amount of content and also not eligible for recording on VJ Army (since VJA is for CS scores).

MonMotha prototyped an adapter board for me to be able to use the arcade controls as an "ultimate ASC" for the PS2. I think that was sometime in January IIRC, and I also finally received Happy Sky around that time. It had to be reshipped after getting lost in the mail.

The prototype was one player only, so I played through all the Normal (L7) songs on Happy Sky. As a result, I once again have complete L7 data for all CS games.

MonMotha completed a permanent adapter board for me for my birthday in February. It's able to do handle both players and also controls all the lights and even the LED display above the effector controls! It's sweet, and I bow to his mad electronic prowess. This gave me the opportunity to play the Normal-14 (L14) songs in Happy Sky, and I once again have complete L14 data for all CS games.

At this point I'm playing through the 7-key, 14-key, and Another charts within my ability level (generally < 7*) in an effort to continue toward my goal of ranking on the combined DJ Points chart.

My current score is 10510, which means I currently need < 150 DJP to get on the chart. That means I've made substantial progress since that gap was over 2000 points back in December. The lowest score on the chart also went up ~500 points in that time as well, so I've packed on a good 2500-3000 points in the last three months. Damn...that's a lot of IIDX!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:46 pm

VJ Army Combined DJ Points Ranking wrote:98 HO! 10747 41.1%
I finally made it!

Bad Boy Bass 14-key put me on the list tonight giving me the 10667th DJ Point I needed. I actually failed the song. It's a good thing you get points for your grade regardless of pass/fail.

Apparently I was having so much fun that I packed on another 80 points to put me into the 98th spot.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Congrats Ho! I'm glad to hear that you can now do full doubles on the AC for console releases. Hopefully one of these days we could do a IIDX tournament at your house.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

pimpmachine
Standard
Standard

Post by pimpmachine » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:24 am

i wish i still lived in indiana so i had someone to play IIDX with.....
Total DP:
164 646 / 166 832 (2 236)
http://ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=1277

Image Image Image

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:40 am

pimpmachine wrote:i wish i still lived in indiana so i had someone to play IIDX with.....
Haha, you wouldn't have a place to play, though...except for the Ho house.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 am

I think a little tatsujin party could be arranged should you find yourself back in the Hoosier state someday.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:18 pm

Ho wrote:I think a little tatsujin party could be arranged should you find yourself back in the Hoosier state someday.
That would definitely be awesome.
Memorable 2016 quotes: