Cooking is fun! Cooking for everyone!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Cooking is fun! Cooking for everyone!

Post by sam » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:30 am

I made fried chicken tonight: :P :P :P :P :P (5 out of 5)
http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/Chicke ... hicken.asp

I made seasoned fries tonight: :P :P :? :( :( (2.5 out of 5)
http://sidedish.allrecipes.com/az/HmmdC ... chFris.asp

I made them yesterday too..they were much better then but the batter wasn't as thick.

I made snickerdoodles as well: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P (infinity billion out of 5)
http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/MrsSiggSnckrddls.asp
I reccomend a little extra flour...wow was that dough hard to work with.
insert code compile execute return

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:21 am

those look really good! if you want to try some general tso's chicken recipies I suggest this one:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/recipes/row010908.html
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:42 pm

i've wanted to make that for ages but i can't get myself to buy rice vinegar and rice sherry or wine...i won't ever use them again and it'd cost so much more than going to a nice resturaunt :?

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:11 pm

I myself didn't have rice vinegar either, I used balsamic (normal white will work too but you should use half the amount then). Sherry is pretty expensive true... I actually used a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, and powdered sugar (which was supposed to emulate cooking sherry) but the actual substitute you are supposed to use is vanilla extract (which can be a bit pricy) but 2 tbs of sherry is equivalent to 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:09 pm

i have basalmic vinegar and a lot of vanila extract :o

Some Random Hobo
Standard
Standard

Post by Some Random Hobo » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:16 am

Cooking Sherry is like 4 dollars a bottle at the supermarket :?

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 am

yeah but what's the point if i use it once? the total cost of the chicken would be like $25

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 am

sam wrote:i have basalmic vinegar and a lot of vanila extract :o
Now sam i think you have the right idea goin.... improv!

you dont wanna have to waste mooney on something so trivial as cooking sherry so you use a substitute that acts in the same manner! :D
way to pinch pennys!

PS i do it to!

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 am

so i got this "chinese spice" in the foreign food section...looked nifty, says it's used in a bunch of recipes but i can't find anything. it's very gingery....does anyone have any recipes that use this?

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:45 am

sam wrote:so i got this "chinese spice" in the foreign food section...looked nifty, says it's used in a bunch of recipes but i can't find anything. it's very gingery....does anyone have any recipes that use this?
when in dought chicken out.

srry for teh bad pun

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:16 am

sam wrote:so i got this "chinese spice" in the foreign food section...looked nifty, says it's used in a bunch of recipes but i can't find anything. it's very gingery....does anyone have any recipes that use this?
hmm chinese spice? try it in a schezwan dish... further details if I feel like it

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:30 am

Yeah......

So that all of the awesome cooks here can be forced to witness my not-quite-awesome cooking talents..

I'm making lasagna and lemon cheesecake on Saturday night. n_n
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:18 am

word of advice people usually neglect:
soak your lasagna noodles before you build it as it helps them not come out crunchy and icky

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:07 pm

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:Yeah......

So that all of the awesome cooks here can be forced to witness my not-quite-awesome cooking talents..

I'm making lasagna and lemon cheesecake on Saturday night. n_n
yikes that sounds hard, do you put the noodles in the cheesecake? or do you sorta use the lemon cheesecake as the filling? send me the recipe for that! oh and do you still use marinara on it? even with the cheesecake in it?

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:23 pm

i just started on some country style ribs...it's real easy all you need is a dutch oven and a oven range and you're good to go...here's the recipe for those that are interested (marsh always has country ribs as the meat managers special sometime in the month so I end up making this as I save boatloads :D)

get some country style ribs...mmmm ribs...i got 2.5 lbs this time
you need a dutch oven, some tongs (thongs?) (work best as the ribs don't fall apart) some cooking oil and a cup of water. Doesn't have to be an exact cup, you just need some water.

So put the dutch oven on the top of your range and start the oven preheating for 350. put enough oil in the pan to coat the bottom of the pan with oil...3TBSish for my pan. Then, turn that fucker on high and watch the oil start bubbling. Reduce te heat to about 3/4ths power and start puttin ur ribs in the pan..mmmm ribs.

The object here is to brown the ribs to sear in the flavor. Once all sides of the ribs are browned, you throw in the water to the pan. You want enough water to have the ribs sitting in about .5" or .75" deep water. The ribs use this water to steam cook the ribs. You want this much water as if the water runs out in the middle of cooking, you get some shitty ribs. You have to put the water in fast and put the lid on before any steam escapes, the shit cools off quickly. Once the lid is on, throw it in the oven for 3 hours. Doesn't really matter if the oven isn't fully preheated, it'll get there. You want the ribs to just fall apart...mmm delicious...then you throw some bbq sauce in with the ribs once you pull them out of the dutch oven....mmm....ribs.