Cooking is fun! Cooking for everyone!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:30 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:My cat eats plants all the time, especially my moms flowers. He's old as hell, has dredlocks, and the vet said he should have died three years ago. He kicks ass though.
Your cat describes hippies down to the letter. XD
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Math
Standard
Standard

Post by Math » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:00 pm

like I said I don't want to argue about this, I'm sure we could go back and forth for a while, but I'm Happy being Vegetarian, you're happy eating Meat. Let's all be Happy together.

Now I feel as if I need to throw in some type of remark like, "Gonna Be a, Gonna Be a, Gonna be a Happy Wedding."

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:
hascoolnickname wrote:My cat eats plants all the time, especially my moms flowers. He's old as hell, has dredlocks, and the vet said he should have died three years ago. He kicks ass though.
Your cat describes hippies down to the letter. XD
I've caught him quite a few times doing catnip and playing bongo drums naked

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:21 pm

Math wrote:Image
like I said I don't want to argue about this, I'm sure we could go back and forth for a while, but I'm Happy being Vegetarian, you're happy eating Meat. Let's all be Happy together.

Now I feel as if I need to throw in some type of remark like, "Gonna Be a, Gonna Be a, Gonna be a Happy Wedding."
The only reason why I argued is because you are believing lies and ignorance is one of my top pet peeves especially when you try to pass off those lies as truth
SevenEleven wrote:Also studies have shown that are appendi(x?),more likely then not, were used to aid digestion w/ raw meats...
I actually didn't hear that, that's really interesting to know.
SevenEleven wrote:And also that salt + moisture will cause rust..
Already forgiven :D (in case you're wondering I have been posting mostly on my PDA not near AIM)
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:02 am

I like how you accept the idea of the appendix being used to digest meat without asking for a link or anything 8)
brb ripping on someone who doesnt show supporting evidence

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:05 am

hascoolnickname wrote:I like how you accept the idea of the appendix being used to digest meat without asking for a link or anything 8)
I was about to say the same thing lol.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:20 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:I like how you accept the idea of the appendix being used to digest meat without asking for a link or anything 8)
It's called acceptance of claims... If I have personal experience or background knowledge that conflicts with an unsupported claim, I have no reason to accept it. I accept that claim because I do not know what the ancestoral function of the appendix was, and since his word is just as credible as mine I accept the claim.

gg take a CT course. or just read the notes from mine: http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~adamkm03/Cred.ppt
EDIT: plus he said where he got it from, his biology class, not just a random magazine.

Math
Standard
Standard

Post by Math » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:55 pm

Since you don't seem to want to drop this, here is a link to the American Dietic Associations (ADA) view on the vegetarian diet, as approved by the USDA. Along with a long list of the benefits.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ad ... U_HTML.htm

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:19 pm

Math wrote:Since you don't seem to want to drop this, here is a link to the American Dietic Associations (ADA) view on the vegetarian diet, as approved by the USDA. Along with a long list of the benefits.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ad ... U_HTML.htm
I wasn't asking for a link about if it was healthy, I want the link for what you stated before. I know it can be healthy, but my point is what you stated was not credible.
"We are not genetically designed to be meat-eaters. In comparing our digestive system with the cat family, they secrete ten times more hydrochloric acid than we do. Their digestive tracks are short for the rapid expulsion of putrefying flesh. They can easily eliminate large amounts of cholesterol and have sharp teeth for ripping flesh, all of which humans do not have. Our digestive track is long, the same as in those creatures who digest plant foods."
I agree that vegetarianism can be healthy, but saying we're not designed to eat meat is absurd. The major problem with vegeterianism is the ones who do not get all their nutrients (which can be difficult at times when only eating plant matter. Plus if you want to gain muscle mass you need alot of protien (which you can get from plant sources just not as abundant.) Lean meat can be very healthy for you and if you want to gain muscle mass it's easiest done with eating meat. (I only say this from personal experience and I don't know of any muscular vegetarians (correct me if I am wrong))

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:01 am

T, I think what you were trying to say with the protein argument (I believe you said plants simply weren't as abundant in proteins) is that meats contain complete proteins (meaning they contain all of a protein needed to produce a certain amino acid) and plants only contain incomplete proteins (they don't contain all of a certain protein). However, mixing certain plant foods together can give a complete protein as would be obtained from eating meat. For example, rice and beans (MEXICANS FTW) make a complete protein.
Thank you. Now, THAT'S a reliable source.

Math
Standard
Standard

Post by Math » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 am

Green Tea wrote: I agree that vegetarianism can be healthy, but saying we're not designed to eat meat is absurd. The major problem with vegeterianism is the ones who do not get all their nutrients (which can be difficult at times when only eating plant matter. Plus if you want to gain muscle mass you need alot of protien (which you can get from plant sources just not as abundant.) Lean meat can be very healthy for you and if you want to gain muscle mass it's easiest done with eating meat. (I only say this from personal experience and I don't know of any muscular vegetarians (correct me if I am wrong))
Bill Pearl the world famous body builder. He won the Mr.Universe title not only as a Vegetarian, but also without the use of steriods.
Donnie LaLonde the boxer. Killer Kowalski the old wrestling star.
Dave Scott, six time Ironman Triathalon winner.

Could one not safely assume that if cutting out red meat from a diet is healthier for the body, that the body is therefore designed for that type of diet.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:19 am

since when do proteins combine in the stomach? molecules are broken down by our digestive tract not made more complex
insert code compile execute return

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:39 am

I dunno I heard it in 8th grade Home Ec class in a retarded nutrition video. I'm too lazy to find a reliable source at the moment.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:56 am

jim google to the rescue go jim google
Lastly, complete animal protein is not superior to incomplete vegetable protein: animal protein merely supplies in one substance what vegetable proteins supply in two. In fact, because of what the latter doesn't include (excess calories from fat, toxic residues, overabundance of protein), the incomplete proteins can be considered superior.
http://www.passionatevegetarian.com/protein_.htm

while this may be true, it doesn't seem like a completely factual statement. while there may be fat and 'toxic residues' (i hate ambiguity) there is a single protein which means less work for your body to break down. there is more available energy to break down the fat which has quite a lot of sugar in it and is good for your body.
insert code compile execute return

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:20 am

Math wrote:Bill Pearl the world famous body builder. He won the Mr.Universe title not only as a Vegetarian, but also without the use of steriods.
Didn't know about him, but he did start steroids in 1958 but ended his use of them in 1961. So he did use steroids prior to starting his vegeterian diet in 1969.
Could one not safely assume that if cutting out red meat from a diet is healthier for the body, that the body is therefore designed for that type of diet.
Red herring.... your arguments are supporting that there are a few strong vegetarians, and your claim is since there are a few strong vegetarians that it's healthier for the body and the body is designed for it. Unrelated.