War of The Worlds

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

XeRo
Standard
Standard

War of The Worlds

Post by XeRo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:08 am

This movie followed the book really well, and also brings a realistic approach to how powerless man could be against an unknown invader from space...I found it good.

-Discuss-

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:04 am

Honestly I have no desire to see that movie. Looks kind of boring if you ask me. but thats just my opinion...now if you ask me about Madagascar...now THATS A GREAT MOVIE!
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:15 am

Boring movie? You're kidding right? People dying left and right every two seconds running for their lives and all in all being helpless to do anything against an alien invasion.

Oh my god, best movie I have seen since Sin city.

Madagascar was good too though :)
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:33 pm

Yeah, I definately like the added bonus of the fact that the alien machines "plasma beams" totally turn any living or physical form into ashes. Instant creamation! \\// ^^ \\//

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:57 pm

I get to see this tonight, along with Batman!!!

Mother-f'in-wheeeeee!!!!! n___n!!!
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:57 pm

I want to see it again damnit!!!

Silent_Blade
Standard
Standard

Post by Silent_Blade » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:46 pm

Was quite good in my oppinion =) I always love people getting their insides sucked out!
RAWR I'm a Tuna!

tsutter
Light
Light

Post by tsutter » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:39 pm

Great flick, saw it opening night.

Who the hell said it was BORING, of all things. O_o The movie is one of the most intense things I've seen in a long, long time. Once it started, it never stopped until the end.

Speaking of the end....who else didn't really care for it that much? It didn't really deter from the rest of the movie, but wow was it pretty homo.
sup

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:40 pm

for some reason, if they're using flying spaceships, I imagine to keep stealth in mind and just to be more "efficient" aliens would have some kind of beam that's invisble, and just atomizes the target immediately, no cleanup or anything, and only directly what they target.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:05 pm

I thought the movie was pretty good, but Tom Cruise is in a lot of movies. Almost as many as Ben Afflec(sp?). At least there were some new actors, except for that girl who wouldn't shut up. If I was him with that gun she wouldn't have made it to Boston, that's for sure. Oh, sorry about the spoilers, but there's a book that is the whole movie- appropriatly named "War of the Worlds."
I don't think that he would have been able to make it through the whole movie the way they showed him. While he was running down the street everyone around him was getting cut down but somehow he gets away? Yeah right.
All in all it was a good movie and great effects too. Yeah, not special effects, because you can't call them special when they are in every scene.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:49 pm

The ending was weak, but essentially it was always weak. Humanity is doomed, we've thrown everything we have at them and it hasn't done a thing. But the aliens have no immunities to simple diseases, so they die. That ending was always weak, but I really can't think of any other way to end it other than 'Aliens win, gg.'

And all Speilberg was trying to do was give the movie some catharsis and not have everyone running out into the streets committing suicide after the movie was over. If you've seen the 1953 version.. which is much different than this one... there is just an older guy and an older girl as the main characters. I just like to think of this as War of the Worlds told from someone else's point of view... which means the possibilities are endless for this kind of movie.

There are actually quite a few other other War of the Worlds movies, like this one that is supposedly completely accurate to the H.G. Wells novel.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

thewrathoffluffy
Standard
Standard

Post by thewrathoffluffy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:49 am

All in all I thought it was a pretty sweet movie.... I think 'intense' sums it up pretty well... I would definitely go see it in the theatres again and would definitely recommend it....

This isn't really a spoiler, but I dont want to give anything away to those who haven't seem it:
Possible Spoiler:
I did find one (I'm sure the were many) noticable, and rather humorous plot hole in the movie. Towards the beginning after the EMP's deactivate all of the electronics in the area, including all the clocks, lights, and cell phones, there's a guy standing in the middle of the street taping everything with his camcorder... didn't think that was too well thought out... Oh well.. I found that humorous...
"Giving some people a keyboard is like giving a monkey a gun."

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:27 am

I was pleased. It wasn't the best movie, but it was defenitely worth seeing. It was very intense, and there were no times in the movie I felt let down or bored. It just kept right on going with more plasma beaming, inside sucking action.

w00t.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:15 am

Yea alien invasion movies aren't my cup of tea. Like I said before, sounded and looked boring.

Now get me a movie like Boondock Saints...now THAT is a good movie, and not boring.
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Pheadra wrote:Yea alien invasion movies aren't my cup of tea. Like I said before, sounded and looked boring.

Now get me a movie like Boondock Saints...now THAT is a good movie, and not boring.

Whole hearted agreement over here.

It's kinda like Batman Beyond. People like it... it doesn't look very good to me... so I'm not gonna go and see it. I don't want to waste that two hours of my life.