Careers, anyone?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Careers, anyone?

Post by Original Sin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:46 pm

Many of us here are employed somewhere, but what do you want to do as a career? I don't mean the playboy mansion pool boy, though. Reality in mind, where do you see yourself going in life? What schooling or other steps do you have to take to get there? This is more or less for the sake of discussion/curiosity, but if some of us have similar career choices in mind, it may help some people out if some of us are already on that path. You can share what you've learned about it, and how you have to get there.

Personally, I have a couple things in mind. My dream job is to work as on video game design. Characters, artwork, story boards, plot lines and music. I'm no programmer, but I love the design aspect of it.
I'd also love to do similar things for movies.

I've also had in mind working as an author, a comic artist or animator, and even a career musician.

As for what I plan to do? I'm hoping to go to college for CG and grahpic arts, 2, maybe 4 years if I'm ambitious. I'll probably take studio art classes and dabble with animation along the way, as well.

Crotis Jivefunk
Standard
Standard

Post by Crotis Jivefunk » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:51 pm

i'm going to ball state next year (like everyone else at my school) and i'm going to study art and media. i plan on being an animator as of now. i'd also like to work on films. i didn't get paid, but i worked on a film called saving star wars two years ago. i'm going to work on another one this summer, same production company. hopefully that'll lead to better stuff.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:54 pm

Telecommunications with a minor in Spanish.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:14 pm

Sociology and Psychology,

I should already have my Bacholor's in Sociology, but Vincennes sucks balls. Don't go there for your edumacation.

As for what I plan to do with it? Lots of things, but I'm probably going to get started in social work.

XxJennaxX
Standard
Standard

Post by XxJennaxX » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:17 pm

Well, I wanted to major in sociology/psychology in order to work for the FBI as a special agent, but that career doesn't look too promising.

So I'm really considering switching to pre-med or law.
"I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies."

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:35 pm

I think I'm apply for an internship for an embassy or Senate member.

Poli Sci with a minor in Japanese, then probably law school.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:53 pm

As of now, Im a pre-pharmacy major at IUPUI through Purdue. Im thinking of switching my major though....sooooo yea.
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:04 pm

dropped out of purdue not too long ago...currently I work for outsourced web hosting tech support. Right now I'm negotiating with a friend to see about possibilities of me working in the great down under.
insert code compile execute return

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:06 pm

Can somebody say....

GREAT TEACHER ERIN!!!!!!!

I'm looking into becoming an English literature teacher. Professor, if possible, but more than likely I'll get stuck teaching high school while I'm working toward my Ph.D. so that I can teach at a college level.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:20 pm

I'm currently in Film/Video Studies at Purdue and would eventually like to have a career involved in the production of film, video, or other A/V areas.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:28 pm

I'll be graduating from IU Bloomington in about two weeks with a degree in East Asian Language and Culture (focusing on Japanese). I'm currently an alternate for the JET program, if I get selected I'll be teaching English in Japan. My goal in the near future is to get some kind of job over there so I can immerse myself and become as fluent as possible so I can start getting work as a translator or interpreter in any form I can find a job in (though I'd prefer to avoid anime/manga).

Chibi
Standard
Standard

Post by Chibi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:50 am

I want to... Spin yarn and make stuffed animals? =\

I'm majoring in communication, so I guess I can make a career out of talking? 0.o;;

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:01 am

xK1 wrote:I'm currently an alternate for the JET program, if I get selected I'll be teaching English in Japan. My goal in the near future is to get some kind of job over there so I can immerse myself and become as fluent as possible so I can start getting work as a translator or interpreter in any form I can find a job in (though I'd prefer to avoid anime/manga).
Oh yes, I'm also hoping to join the JET program, though it really has nothing to do with my major. I mainly wish to immerse myself in the language and culture so I can develop a fluency that I'll never learn in the classroom.

dancing queen iu
Standard
Standard

Post by dancing queen iu » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:38 am

I'm triple majoring in violin performance, psychology, and journalism. Violin performance is just something that I have to do to fulfill my scholarship requirements to IUB. The other two are what I'm really interested in. I'm also going to try to pursue a minor in spanish, although all of this will be a definite stretch, because I'm already getting majors from three different faculties (School of Journalism, School of Music, and College of Art & Science)

I plan on going into clinical psych, probably
I'm IndyDDR's Favourite #1 Bitch

tang
Standard
Standard

Post by tang » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:40 am

Haha I have a very wide range. I would love to have a career in cpmputer programming, Agriculture, or Psychology. For the latter two I think I would be a good teahcer on those two subjects. But I don't know if I would handle the stress teachers have to put up with well. I wouldn't mind being a psycholigist (sp?) I think that would be nice.