SCOTUS kills PASPA

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

SCOTUS kills PASPA

Post by Ho » Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Supreme Court strikes down PASPA law that limited sports betting

I mostly don't care about this, but I figured it was a topic of conversation that at least one person here would have something to say about...I'm looking at you, Merk!

How do you feel about this? Why should I care? How much would you bet I can AAA a song--any song--by the end of the week?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: SCOTUS kills PASPA

Post by Merk » Mon May 14, 2018 3:36 pm

I was just talking about this today! It's huge. This is like the one thing in the legal world that's happened in the last decade that I'm super happy about.

I don't think it's going to really change how many peeps are betting because if you're in to sports betting at all then you're aware of the tons and tons and tons of options online where you can place a bet and cash out. Overall this is totally a net positive for everyone except for maybe the professional bookies that run Vegas / Jersey at the moment; although I'd imagine they'd just expand nationwide since they are already well established. The tax dollars that are going to come in are going to be great, the sports leagues themselves are going to benefit from increased viewership and by scalping a small take from the overall bets (I think the NBA has been in talks about this for awhile now), the general population is going to benefit by having the freedom to spend their money how they want and not needing to deal with shady gangsters to do so, bookies are obviously going to benefit, and we can finally stop all this moral high ground shit the leagues and politicians have about sports betting. "Illegal" sports betting is an incredibly massive market that's been brokered by sketchy as hell websites and bookmakers for a long time now and I'm looking forward to being able to walk into Tappers or something and being able to throw $20 on the Colts and watch Andrew Luck fumble my money away.

Look, you know what started bootlegging? Prohibition and the organized crime that stemmed from it. You know what stopped it? Ending prohibition. You'd be hard pressed to find someone in the year 2018 who wants to go back to the days of Al Capone. People are going to wager on sports regardless of the legality of it, let's make sure everything is on the up and up. The same goes for pretty much any vice the government tries to put a stop to. People are going to do it, let's monetize it and ensure no one is risking their life in the process.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 am

But yes you should care because it's fun to bet on shit! I would love it if we could gamble on the results of someone's playthrough of a song.

How many greats is Ho gonna get on this run of Boom Boom Dollar KOGG3 mix? Over/under line is set at 10.5

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 am

Definitely taking the over on that bet. I'd try and get an answer tonight, but I'd have to switch mixes (incl. hardware) and I'm a lazy SOB right now.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Oh dude I'm so God damn lazy too. What mix do you have in there now? I'll just pick something off of that and I'll set a line for funsies

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Running 2014 right now. I think regular Boom Boom Dollar is in there.

Are we ever going to get back to our little contest?

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am

Maaaaan we probably should, shouldn't we? I pretty much perpetually have Extreme running on my cabby if you wanna pick some shiz from there!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am

Ugh. You're so boring. But, fine...I can do that.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri May 18, 2018 9:18 am

I'm 32 years old! Boring is all a part of the 30+ crew. Man I've been on this forums for more than half my life lol ayyyyyyy