What flippin pad do I have??

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

twinsky
Beginner
Beginner

What flippin pad do I have??

Post by twinsky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:57 pm

A friend of a friend gave me two metal pads. Score!

The problem: it comes with a hodgepodge of cables and connectors that don't work when you put it all together. Said friend of a friend never got it to work.

It looks just like the metal pads from DDRGAME. It even came with DDRGAME control boxes. The problem is that the control boxes have a male 15 pin vga-type input, while the pads also have a male 15 pin connector. Use a female/female cable to connect em and surprise surprise, they don't work. (The down arrow is read but that's it.) I sent DDRGAME a line and they say these pads are not theirs and are incompatible with their control boxes and that I'm an IDIOT for even trying.

So all I can say at this point is: HALP MEE! What do I need to get these pads working??

If you can help I'll be thankful 4ever.
Attachments
20170130_115447.jpg
The connection
20170130_115447.jpg (131.52 KiB) Viewed 17421 times
20170130_115427.jpg
Metal Pads
20170130_115427.jpg (151.72 KiB) Viewed 17421 times

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: What flippin pad do I have??

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:44 am

Are you trying to play DDR on a PC and/or does it have a USB connector? If so you could always use something like Joy2Key (http://joytokey.net/en/) to map the inputs from the dance pad to keyboard inputs and then just adjust your controls for Stepmania or whatever DDRGAME is accordingly. I have no idea if that will introduce input lag but I assume it does!

Just Google'd DDRGAME and holy shit what the heck even is this? http://www.ddrgame.com

twinsky
Beginner
Beginner

Post by twinsky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:38 am

Yeah DDRGAME is no joke.

The problem is these pads has a weird pin connector that doesn't directly connect to a PC. I'm hoping that by figuring out where they came from I can then figure out the correct kind of adapter to get em connected to my PC and read in one way or another. I agree that Joy2Key can be pretty handy! But ya gotta get some form of input first 8)

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 am

it's possible the pinouts are different like you said, so it won't work with that control box

However it's also possible the cable you used to connect them was bad or is a weird pinout cable that swaps some of the pins (however I've never ran into a cable like this for VGA)

if your goal is to use it with a PC/stepmania, I would just spend $10 making this. if you don't wanna solder you can just cut up a DB15 cable (like the one you already used) and use it as a pigtail - https://github.com/JoeRepo/Cobalt-Flux-control-box
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Mayyyyyybe a VGA-to-USB adapter will get you some sort of input? Once you have input then you can Joy2Key that shiz!

http://www.dxsoul.com/product/cy-u3-125 ... -901280982

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Merk wrote:Mayyyyyybe a VGA-to-USB adapter will get you some sort of input? Once you have input then you can Joy2Key that shiz!

http://www.dxsoul.com/product/cy-u3-125 ... -901280982

I don't know what the signal is, but I can pretty much guarantee that pad isn't generating a VGA signal. They just happen to be using that connector. And even if it was VGA--which makes no sense whatsoever--a USB-VGA adapter doesn't work that way. Those are basically an external video card. They're generating the VGA signal. They don't take it in and spit something else out.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:05 pm

it's just a common ground and then a pin for each pad switch, pretty simple stuff. hence the easy arduino bunch of switches to usb keyboard emulation project

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connecto ... x-ddr-pad/

but yeah, a vga usb adapter, LOL
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:47 pm

I don't know how any of this shit works I just assume everything is just copper wires and pins and bits and boops and beeps.

Guys if the best solution offered to me was soldering a buncha wires to some Raspberry Pi looking bullshit that I know nothing about I'd Goodwill the fuck out of the broken metal pads I was gifted. But hey you never know maybe the new guy knows all about that kind of stuff.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Merk wrote:I don't know how any of this shit works
You prove that 9 out of 10 times you give any sort of technical advice here. :)
Merk wrote:Guys if the best solution offered to me was soldering a buncha wires to some Raspberry Pi looking bullshit that I know nothing about I'd Goodwill the fuck out of the broken metal pads I was gifted.
Vague...but makes infinitely more sense than your USB-VGA suggestion.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:15 pm

if you have the reading comprehension to follow simple instructions like "strip this wire with some scissors and stick it into hole 1 on arduino, then plug into computer" then that project is within anyone's reach, but you're right, I wouldn't put it past half the people on this forum lelele

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:18 pm

also are you local/around indianapolis? if so I'll make you a nice finished USB adapter for the pads so they show up like a keyboard to use in stepmania in exchange for one of the pads, lol

I need to de-fat myself DDR seems like the only thing I've ever been able to do that with

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 am

Alternative solution: Buy a DDR machine.

That's what I did and I'm a dumb piece of shit

Potter wrote:if you have the reading comprehension to follow simple instructions like "strip this wire with some scissors and stick it into hole 1 on arduino, then plug into computer" then that project is within anyone's reach, but you're right, I wouldn't put it past half the people on this forum lelele

I understand your point that once you have all that shit on hand then it's easy but not everyone has a bunch of wires, a breadboard, an Arduino, or the patience the fuck around with all of this stuff.

Or maybe they do and I'm a silly little goofball.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:58 am

Merk wrote:I'm a silly little goofball.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:44 pm

like I said previously, all you would need is a db15 cable to cut with scissors which he already has and a $10 arduino off amazon. Then you need the top level motor skills required to literally stick a wire in a WIRE HOLE. I do understand if this is far beyond the average person's abilities lelele

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 am

Fuck I wanna know how the new guy solves his problem!