Gaming Community Concerns

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Gaming Community Concerns

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

I figure I would talk about this as while I do know that IndyDDR is mostly Ho, MonMotha, Fluffy, Merk, Riot, and myself I think it is something worth discussing after what I've seen on 24 hours. Recently, there have been some issues with a buy/sell/trade group for rhythm gaming as a deal with a cabinet went sour and people reacted in the wrong way about it. While we have all mishandled a situation or two, I do feel that this one in particular was blown out of proportion as it caused a huge amount of infighting and negativity. Sadly, I've seen that many gaming communities are taking a far more negative tone than they probably wish to and this has me not wishing to associate with most of them out of fear of being lumped in with such toxic behavior these days. (I also have to say upfront that IndyDDR has been one of the most positive gaming community experiences I have had by far even though from time to time I know we aren't perfect.) This leaves me to ask if I am the only one who feels this way or are there other people on here who are hesitant to associate with other gaming circles due to concerns of toxicity?
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Gaming Community Concerns

Post by Merk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:12 am

Whoa whoa whoa which cabinet deal went south and who got mad at who? I want to read the drama.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:51 am

What situation are you talking about? I don't really follow if you're talking about the FB group for arcade owners. Can you elaborate?

Also, I don't know if I really consider myself a member of any "gaming groups." I mean I guess I would consider IndyDDR a bit of a gaming group but at this point it's really just friends with common interests (that go beyond rhythm games). I guess I could be a member of the FGC? Thing is, I don't really worry about myself being "lumped in" with them even though a lot of them like to hoop and holler (CALL KOTAKU!). I guess I just feel more like an individual and not defined by what other people do.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 am

I don't know that I would consider most of the FB groups out there now to be communities--at least not in the sense that IndyDDR ever was at one time. At best, I'd say those groups are amalgamations of subsets of communities (or former communities) and random noobs (not used disparagingly here) looking to get involved.. I consider them mostly as ways to conveniently trade/find information.

I know the basics of the situation you're talking about. I didn't read the thread, but it sounds like a case of people's colliding personal interests being settled in a typical non-face-to-face Internet fashion. I'm not sure I'd read much more into it even if I did know all the details.

I've met some great people from being involved with these games over the last decade+ (oh jeez...it's been a full decade and a half at this point). Whatever sense of community there may be now certainly isn't the same as it was when DDR was a niche game played by people willing to make buffoons of themselves in public. I have to admit that I meet a lot fewer people nowadays, but I treasure the relationships that I still maintain. Most of that interaction has simply moved into more direct contact rather than through a group forum.

I mostly lurk in the various online music game communities/forums/etc. I participate if I feel I have something to offer or want to get some kind of specific feedback. Otherwise, I'm content to let the drama pass right on by. If it doesn't involve me, I don't feel any need to invite myself into it. I've got much better things to do.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:31 am

I don't know if I addressed your "concerns."

I guess I'd say that the music gaming community may simply be running its course (or may have run its course). I don't think you can really fight the natural flow of a social interest group as it ages and expands (or contracts). You can only take care of yourself within it (or without it).

If I'm "associated" with any particular community or the music game community as a whole (whatever the hell that might be), I don't really know. If anyone feels negatively about me for that association, I don't know. I also don't worry about it. I associate with the people I want to and not with the people I don't. I simply try to behave in a way I would like from others and hope that they follow suit. You know...golden rule and all that jazz.

Take from the community the parts that work for you and leave the ones that don't. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Participate in the parts you like. Ignore the rest. You don't have to get involved in every part and with every person. I know for a fact that I don't. I find it amusing that I still get recognized at events--often by people I've never met--even though my involvement over the past 5-7 years has been limited at best.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:06 pm

I have NO idea what situation is being talked about, here... I will assume it's on Facebook, which I am not and haven't been for some time.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm

The drama in question took place in the buy/sell/trade group, but has reached beyond that in a manner that I find disheartening. All of it's been deleted by the people running the group now.

In terms of what Ho said, it is probably the best way to address such a concern that I have heard. I think quite a bit of what is happening is that I have changed quite a bit in the past eleven years compared to when I became involved and am seeing that since 2010 I've been taking a different path in life. Likewise, it may be a fair statement to say that despite now owning a Fiesta EX cabinet my interaction with the community on it is nowhere near the level of when I used to play IIDX. I will say though that I consider my time in IndyDDR to be amongst the best as it helped me quite a bit with regards to dealing with the issues I suffered from my time in service, especially towards the end of that part of my life.

I figured I was stepping out of my comfort zone to try to approach this, so to say the least I appreciate the thoughtful responses given.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Don't take this the wrong way at all (also consider I don't even know the specifics of the situation or who was involved):

Were you involved in the argument? Do you know the people that were personally or were they just random angry internet people? If these were just random internet people bickering, why get disheartened or take anything personally? You are your own person, not attached to any of the ugliness you see around you, even if you are a member of the same group. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. I dunno, I separate myself from the behavior of other people. As long as you enjoy talking to the majority of the people, I say join whatever group you are interested in and let the people with nothing good to contribute fade out eventually as everybody stops acknowledging them.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Riot wrote:Don't take this the wrong way at all (also consider I don't even know the specifics of the situation or who was involved):

Were you involved in the argument? Do you know the people that were personally or were they just random angry internet people? If these were just random internet people bickering, why get disheartened or take anything personally? You are your own person, not attached to any of the ugliness you see around you, even if you are a member of the same group. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. I dunno, I separate myself from the behavior of other people. As long as you enjoy talking to the majority of the people, I say join whatever group you are interested in and let the people with nothing good to contribute fade out eventually as everybody stops acknowledging them.
While I was not involved, several people I know well were involved and I do feel that all of them mishandled it and several of them are typically far better than this which is why I feel disappointed with what I saw.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Who got fucked and how did they get fudged?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:37 am

I still want the deets on this beef!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:04 am

Merk wrote:I still want the deets on this beef!
It got wiped from Facebook and I have decided to try to forget about it and move on. I figure I have more pressing matters like my upcoming vacation.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Where are you going on vacation?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 pm

I don't have any details because I didn't read the thread. But my understanding was that a machine was being offered for sale and the beef was that the locals were upset because its sale would mean that it would no longer be available to the local community. And I think there was an effort to try get someone local to purchase the machine so it would stay within the community.

I think the argument erupted between the "owner of the machine can sell it to whomever he/she wants" and "selling this machine is effectively killing our community" factions.

Unfortunately, I think this is a pretty clear cut "money talks" scenario. If there was enough community to support the machine, maybe it would be making enough money that the owner wouldn't want to sell it. Or maybe the community could garner enough internal support to purchase it and keep it local. Beyond that, getting mad about a machine being sold is rooted in little more than sentiment.

I think all of us here are acutely aware of how this works considering the several recent conversations that can be summarized with "there are no working, publicly-accessible DDR machines left in the Indianapolis area."

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Brian I hate you forever for stealing Fort Wayne's IIDX machine and I will never forgive you. Where will we set down our Cokes to play Skee-ball now?