Tipping and the discussion of it

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Tipping and the discussion of it

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 am

Posting this here because if I ask this on Facebook because it will turn into absolute shit and feelings will get hurt.

As a rule I always tip at least 15% whenever I am dining in. Now that the football season has started I've begun making it a weekly ritual where I order some take-out wings before the big game and I always see a little tip bucket at the take out register. Am I supposed to tip here? No one is really serving me food, it's not a whole lot of work for the cashier to get my order from the kitchen (which they are directly next to), and my order of 25 wings and some spinach artichoke dip is average at best. I don't want to stiff anyone but at the same time I don't want to give anyone my precious money if its unwarranted.

Everyone has an opinion on tipping and I feel like a handful of us here on the Didders have worked in the service industry at one point or another to see both sides of the coin. Is 15% good for dine-in service? Is not tipping on take-out appropriate? Are we all in agreement that tipping is bullshit?

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Tipping and the discussion of it

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 am

Tipping is over-complicated for sure. Unless there was some curb side service or the order was something extravagant, tipping is not required.

http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-about/ ... guidelines

A lot of people consider Emily Post to be an expert on unimportant social rules that don't mean anything to anyone who isn't a member of the upper-class. A super-secret social code is a great way to to be an elitist prick in the guise of being polite.

That said, I think you can tip of you feel like it. I'll sometimes toss a buck in the ol' jar if I'm picking up food and they have it ready to go.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:58 am

If you're not aware, servers in the USA at dine-in restaurants are typically paid fair below minimum wage. They make the vast majority of their income on "gratuity". 15% is still considered by most people I know as the standard for "good enough" service - service that really leaves no impression whatsoever. "Good" service is usually worthy of an 18% tip, by most measures. Some people bump "standard" service up to 18% and "good" service up to 20%. Obviously adjust based on your opinion of the service received. It's a good idea to consider whether any issues with service were due to the server or a slow kitchen.

Counter workers are USUALLY paid a "real" wage, that is something at or above minimum wage. You can tip them if you want. It's considered nice to tip at coffee shops and anywhere else where the counter crew is actually responsible for prepping part of your order e.g. at places like Chili's where they fill drinks, package bulk things like chips/salsa, etc., though the amount seems to be of some debate. Seems pretty optional elsewhere. I usually drop my change, if I pay with cash, in the bucket. The buckets seem to be full of mostly coins, so I suspect this is common. If I'm paying with card, I'll usually drop a dollar in the bucket every few visits at places like ice cream shops where the counter crew does some, but relatively minimal, work.

Delivery drivers should generally be tipped, but there seems to be a lot of disagreement on how much. I usually go for 15%, which is toward the higher end of the spectrum. Most delivery drivers are paid minimum wage plus have their vehicle mileage covered.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:16 am

Damn, that Emily Post thing is really solid! Thanks for the link! Here's $2

God damn, I really hate tipping culture and the sense of entitlement people have if they work in the service industry. Tipping at a buffet? Tipping housekeeping? In those scenarios I tip on an as-appropriate basis and don't default in giving a tip out of obligation.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 am

I think tipping housekeeping is less of an issue of entitlement or anything and more a matter of "these people will see everything going on and are cleaning up your shit for you - be nice". I usually leave about $5/day for housekeeping at a hotel. The quality of the service is noticeably improved. You'll typically want to leave it on your first or second night of staying to enjoy the benefits, of course.

Also, tip the counter people at the hotel if you made any strange, special requests. They're the ones who probably took care of them (ask them nicely to give it to whoever took care of it). If you're just checking in normally, no need, though it's customary to tip the bellhop if you use his/her services. Of course, if you use the concierge, you should tip well, but the use of the concierge is 100% optional.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:35 am

Hrm. I might be a bit light on my housekeeper tipping. I usually only do two bucks, but will do more if I made a big mess for some reason.

Here's some tips I'm less sure about:

1. Garbage mans: I've left out more than normal this year, and want to leave something for the Holiday. What's a fair amount?

2. Mailmans: I have no idea who my mailperson is, and I don't know if I'm expected to leave a tip. Do other homeowners leave tips?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:58 am

My beef with housekeeping is that, for me, I never make a mess and the only thing they're really doing for me is making the bed and changing out the towels. I would much rather do both of these things myself if I was given the option. Now, if I absolutely trash a room then yeah I'll leave some money but if the only thing that needs fixing is the bed and the towels then, well, that's sort of what they get paid to do! Doormen I will tip if they get me a cab, but I will refuse their offer to take my luggage to the room since that's something I can do myself.

I have never heard of tipping a garbage man. How would you even tip them? Leaving money out on your front lawn is not a good idea and waking up early just to hand the garbage man some money is an incredible inconvenience!

Mailmen work for the government, never tip the government. I think there is some rule where they can't accept gifts over $25 otherwise it's considered a bribe or something.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Merk wrote:My beef with housekeeping is that, for me, I never make a mess and the only thing they're really doing for me is making the bed and changing out the towels. I would much rather do both of these things myself if I was given the option. Now, if I absolutely trash a room then yeah I'll leave some money but if the only thing that needs fixing is the bed and the towels then, well, that's sort of what they get paid to do! Doormen I will tip if they get me a cab, but I will refuse their offer to take my luggage to the room since that's something I can do myself.

I have never heard of tipping a garbage man. How would you even tip them? Leaving money out on your front lawn is not a good idea and waking up early just to hand the garbage man some money is an incredible inconvenience!

Mailmen work for the government, never tip the government. I think there is some rule where they can't accept gifts over $25 otherwise it's considered a bribe or something.
I guess I'd just tape something to my trash bin? I dunno.