How long has it been?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

How long has it been?

Post by MonMotha » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 am

So, I was playing PIU and had a kid ask me how I got so good at "dancing". Standard "it's not dancing; it's arrow smash" comment aside, my normal reply is something to the effect that, well, I've been playing it for a long time. For context, I asked him how old he was. Turns out he was 9 - nine years old.

I've been playing dance games for about 2-3 more years than that kid has been alive. I haven't even changed my avatar on here since then. It's been longer than that since the IndyDDR "great reset". I've owned a frigging PIU cabinet for about that long.

Jeesh, I'm old. ...and so are these games.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: How long has it been?

Post by Riot » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:53 pm

I started playing in early/mid 2002 I believe. I was waiting for the release of FFXI and saw a review for DDR Max for PS2 and decided that it might be a fun way to pass the time. Still playing 12 years later!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:11 pm

May 2001 on the ol' 4th mix at Putt-Putt in Fort Wayne. DDR is by far the single piece of entertainment software that has had the most profound effect on my life.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:15 am

Summer of 2001 at Sony Metreon in San Fransisco.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:02 am

Summer 2000 at the GameWorks Studio in Indy. I think I had played one time before the first picture in the photo albums which is from September. Chad now owns the machine that popped my DDR cherry.

I remember my first set of Have You Never Been Mellow, Boom Boom Dollar, and Butterfly as that was a progression of 1, 2, and then 3 feet. I then stumbled a bit when my knees started to buckle while stepping down from the stage. I think this was the first time I felt old. And here I am, 14 years later, still playing this darn thing.

I can remember getting a lot healthier in those years and then letting it slip away again. But 'm probably actually better off now than I was then. I can crank out a 7 or an 8 without much difficulty, and I could probably do most 9s if I had to.

i agree with Merk that DDR has had the single largest impact on my life.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:54 am

I've always had a tough time letting go of things I enjoy. It's interesting following a lot of old timers that I'm still friends with that don't really care about DDR anymore. WhiteDragon is a pretty good example. These days people would rather play boardgames or toss a Frisbee than stomp on the ol' arrows.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 am

Yeah, I can't blame people whose interest in DDR has waned. There was a huge 3+ year gap between Extreme and Supernova so people were stuck with Extreme for a long ass time or they went and played ITG and never looked back. When Supernova did come out its reception was maybe less than lukewarm compared to Extreme and the lack of eAmuse in the US only exacerbated the situation for DDR and its future iterations since many features in the game would increasingly become eAmuse only. Plus, the fact that Supernova and subsequent mixes required a hardware upgrade only further guaranteed that the US would either be playing Extreme or ITG since no self-respecting arcade would shell out the dollars for an arcade game that had peaked and was on the down-slope.

Anyway, despite the fact that I post on this messageboard and know a good amount of people through DDR, the actual game itself is very much a solitary experience for me. I don't like playing with other people and I preferred to be alone when I was at the arcade. I really didn't like sharing sets with people since they'd inevitably pick a song I was too tired or didn't like to play. I also felt like I had to hover around the machine when it wasn't my turn so that I could maintain my spot in line and I couldn't play at my own pace.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 am

I picked up Pump in DDR's Extreme-to-SuperNOVA hiatus and grew to like it more than DDR. Although, oddly, I play DDR more these days--no doubt due to the little activity Merk and I have been doing here on the forums.

Merk, get a Pump machine so we can play that instead! :)

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 am

Pump is okay and there are definitely some charts on it that I really like but I've always been more of a PA person than a "hit these arrows really fast" type of person which is what I think Pump caters to.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:49 am

I find the patterns in Pump to be much more fun overall, and the stage layout forces a lot more full-body movement. I also prefer the eye catching visual style of Pump.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:20 pm

You should play beatmaniaIIDX 5th Style. I has the coolest songs with fun, eye-catching graphics!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Is it HARD AND EXTREME?

If it is, IT'S TOO COOL!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

That's Beatmania IIDX.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:58 am

Beet is a legitimately good game for people who enjoy brutally difficult learning curves and achieving self-actualization through mastering a hard but ultimately pointless activity that doesn't improve oneself in any significant way.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 am

doesn't improve oneself?

I CAN PUNCH THROUGH SOLID BONE WITH MY FINGERS!